Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By aliencatx
Hi everyone
I quick question about what type of wood should I use to make props? I see a lot of people use wood instead of cardboard or other materials, I need it to be light but not too thin that it would snap if it got bumped.

Thanks if you can point me in the right direction
By ProtonCharger
just dont get it wet. it will explode. and try to predrill and countersink everything as much as possible. it will explode.
By Mr.Spider
couple of coats of mod podge before primer will help seal the mdf to prevent water explosion........ as long as you don't dunk your pack in water, the mod podge will help it to stay water " resistant "
By aliencatx
ok thanks I will look into that, what is it called again? The message is a bit messed up on this side and the name came out weird
By InKibuster
CPU64 wrote:I use poplar whenever I build wooden props. Cleaner than mdf and easier to work with. And you can have very thin pieces which you can't get with mdf.
Agreed, I make most of my LOTR inspired helmets and props out of poplar wood.
Poplar is exceptionally light and crafting friendly.
By GB_Operator
CPU64 wrote:I use poplar whenever I build wooden props. Cleaner than mdf and easier to work with. And you can have very thin pieces which you can't get with mdf.

However poplar can cost more. But he is right it is amazing to work with. :cool:

I had question about what to use as well but did not want to start a new thread.
Is there any kind of resin or plastic you can sand, cut, and glue? If so where do you buy it?
By GhostGuy
For a small prop? Basswood. You can find it at a craft store or hobby shop. Tougher than balsa, comes pre-cut in various thicknesses and widths. Will save you a ton of work. Pick up a small saw, an exacto knife, and some quick dry tacky glue while you're at it. Use the saw to cut across the grain, and the exacto to cut with the grain.

For a pack, I used basswood for everything up top and the thrower, and mdf for the cyclotron/spacer and motherboard.
By jackdoud
GB_Operator wrote:[I had question about what to use as well but did not want to start a new thread.
Is there any kind of resin or plastic you can sand, cut, and glue? If so where do you buy it?
There are a bunch of different types commonly used in the community. HIPS, ABS and Sintra are the most common. HIPS is High Impact PolyStyrene or more commonly Styrene. ABS is chemically similar to HIPS though often more glossy. Sintra is the same stuff that PVC pipe is made out of only in sheet form. All of them are available at local plastic suppliers, you'll have to call around. If you just want small quantities then hobby stores will have HIPS, otherwise Ebay generally has decent prices.

All plastic is sold by thickness, generally imperial decimals (.06, .08, etc). A good general size for prop use is .08, it's just about 1/16" thick.
By GB_Operator
jackdoud wrote:
GB_Operator wrote:[I had question about what to use as well but did not want to start a new thread.
There are a bunch of different types commonly used in the community. HIPS, ABS and Sintra are the most common. HIPS is High Impact PolyStyrene or more commonly Styrene. ABS is chemically similar to HIPS though often more glossy. Sintra is the same stuff that PVC pipe is made out of only in sheet form. All of them are available at local plastic suppliers, you'll have to call around. If you just want small quantities then hobby stores will have HIPS, otherwise Ebay generally has decent prices.

All plastic is sold by thickness, generally imperial decimals (.06, .08, etc). A good general size for prop use is .08, it's just about 1/16" thick.

Hey thanks so much. You spelled it all out.
By GB_Operator
I looked online and my local hobby store but I could not find the sheet styrene. Does anyone know of any store chains that may carry it? I would like to see it in person so I kinda know what I would be working with.

I did find it on websites however I would prefer to see it.
By GB_Operator
klooloo wrote:Do you have a Hobbytown USA or Hobby Lobby near you?

I went to HobbyLobby I asked a guy about it, he had no clue. Is it with the large poster board and foam board? Most all HobbyLobby are laid out the same. Thanks

WoW jackdoud just wow. How did you get the curved edge on the second pic? Can you sand this stuff down real well?
By jackdoud
GB_Operator wrote:WoW jackdoud just wow. How did you get the curved edge on the second pic? Can you sand this stuff down real well?
It sands like hardwood. You can bend it by hand but too much and it will break. If you want to hold a bend you can heat it. Too much heat and it will melt though so it takes some finesse.

At hobby stores it will most likely be one of two manufacturers, either Evergreen or Plastruct.

By David Campbell
honestly, in general people at hobbylobby or micheals wont have much of a clue about plastic and such. They are great with silk flowers, but ask them for anything like Styrene --and more than once I have gotten--"we dont have that here." just to go find it myself on the next aisle.
Also you can get plastic sign material at any hardware store for around four dollars, and even the super cheap for sale signs at walmart are a dollar, but be wary, that plastic is very thin and will warp if you use common model cement. I only use superglue on the super thin (.005 or .010" ) stuff. We use the thick hardware store signs for bulding up and repair SW clone armor.

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]