I agree with AJ.

At this point, I just want the franchise to move forward.

Whether or not I am in favor of all-female casts, reboots, reimaginings, continuings, prologues, sequels, etc etc etc, the fact is that I want the Ghostbusters franchise to continue. The one thing I am NOT interested in (and the one thing that I am totally and 100% AGAINST) is for there to be only two Ghostbusters movies in existence.

This has been the situation since 1989. As someone who remembers lining up for GBII, seeing it 5 times in the cinema, and remembers thinking "GEEZ IT TOOK THEM 5 YEARS!", I have now waited 25 years for a third movie. Yes, that's right, it's now been FIVE TIMES as long from GB2 to GB3 as it was from GB1 and GB2, which I remember being painfully long at the time.

At this point I don't care if the new movie is good or not. I hope it will be good, but a bad, terrible, awful movie is still another Ghostbusters movie. It will bring in new fans to the first 2. It will reinvigorate the "name" of Ghostbusters. If the movie isn't awful, or if it is but still makes a ton of cash, we will get more Ghostbusters movies. Maybe better ones. Spinoffs. New comics, new TV shows, new cartoons, maybe a new breakfast cereal! Who knows.

What we have now is stagnation. A small, devoted core keeping the flame alive, and two increasingly old movies that today's youth are aware of less and less. The fact that the brand name of "Ghostbusters" has made it this far is incredible. We need new product. And new product cannot "hurt" or retroactively diminish the old movies. No one is going to say "This new Ghostbusters movie sucks, so now the old ones suck too!" or "This new movie is awful, now I'm not even going to watch the old ones!" Those statements are ridiculous.

Look how a new TRON movie (that wasn't even that great) has re-invigorated that franchise. There have been numerous spinoffs, TV shows, YouTube videos, a video game, and talk of further movies. Mind you, TRON continued off their 30-year old original movie - which I also think Ghostbusters should do. In fact, besides a prequel (blech), a "re-imagining" of Ghostbusters is probably my least favorite choice for a new movie. But...it's a new movie.

Look, for years I assumed Ghostbusters 3 would continue off from Ghostbusters 2. That was my preferred outcome. But as the cast aged (and aged) and Bill Murray made it clear he would obstruct any new movie in any way he could...that option had become less and less likely. And, let's face facts - Aykroyd's ideas for Ghostbusters 3 sounded pretty lame. Harold Ramis is gone. Ghostbusters 2 wasn't that great, even WITH Aykroyd & Ramis. Maybe it's time to move on.

I won't join in the criticism of the new movie. If the powers that be in Hollywood think an all-female reboot is the way to go - so be it. Who knows, they might even be right.

As someone who has been waiting for 25 years, my opinion has shifted. I want a new Ghostbusters movie. At this point, almost ANY Ghostbusters movie. After that, the debate will begin again and we can pick it apart and criticize it if it deserves it. But at least we will have a new GB movie, and the wheels of the franchise may be unglued to get further movies and further spinoffs and all the benefits that come with a fresh product and a new generation who doesn't have to watch a three-decade old film to understand what Ghostbusters is all about.
I think what most people are unhappy with is the fact the movie is a re-imagined version of a movie that was loved by thousands if not millions of fans. And to have this guy come in off the street and offer us a film that not only gender flips (as cliched as it is now) the main cast but to straight up tell us his vision is to change everything iconic from the equipment to likely the uniforms all the while disregarding the first two films in which this reboot is based upon is enough to cause these reactions we've seen from some of the fans. I know some of you are saying if not screaming at this point to wait till a trailer or something more is available, but here's the thing ...we already know what to expect from this. Mr. Feig has already made it clear as to what type of film he wishes to send to theaters by twenty (insert number here). As stated above his version wishes to take everything we know about said beloved movie of our past and wants to undo all of that, mostly cause the gentleman works from within his comfort zone and won't allow himself the opportunity to go any further. Yes GB is a huge property to work with, Yes it's probably very nerve racking to actually think about how one should approach this after years of limbo and dust. Understandable and if he feels that way then back out. Drop it and let someone else handle the chore. Instead he feels the best way around all this to simply rewrite a script from the ground up while changing everything we have enjoyed or loved about the two movies completely. Changes in a classic property is good and can bring some awesome new material to work with, but when you revise everything so drastically to the point where you no longer recognize anything save a name? I think it's time to step back and really think about the direction you're heading in. And for those who are willing to look pass all these updates and welcome all this then great for you, I admire your optimism. I'm not saying that sarcastically either it's pretty cool. But i'll leave with what i've seen reposted over the years: Are you willing to pay, dish out money and all around accept anything just because it has a name attached to it? That is my opinion on the matter and as it's mine alone I don't expect everyone to agree with me. :)
EctoTron1 wrote:
featofstrength wrote:Oh, and how is Mattel gonna get by with their usual cheap-outs on reusing body bucks? Melissa McCarthy is gonna have the same figure as Kristen Wiig?
No, Matty will just re-use parts from the male figures.
Kenner was pretty good about reusing parts across lines, so why not?

Daniel liked this
I need brain bleach after looking at that doll... it just can't be unseen...
Ghostbuster-Adem84 wrote:I think what most people are unhappy with is the fact the movie is a re-imagined version of a movie that was loved by thousands if not millions of fans. And to have this guy come in off the street and offer us a film that not only gender flips (as cliched as it is now) the main cast but to straight up tell us his vision is to change everything iconic from the equipment to likely the uniforms all the while disregarding the first two films in which this reboot is based upon is enough to cause these reactions we've seen from some of the fans. I know some of you are saying if not screaming at this point to wait till a trailer or something more is available, but here's the thing ...we already know what to expect from this. Mr. Feig has already made it clear as to what type of film he wishes to send to theaters by twenty (insert number here). As stated above his version wishes to take everything we know about said beloved movie of our past and wants to undo all of that, mostly cause the gentleman works from within his comfort zone and won't allow himself the opportunity to go any further. Yes GB is a huge property to work with, Yes it's probably very nerve racking to actually think about how one should approach this after years of limbo and dust. Understandable and if he feels that way then back out. Drop it and let someone else handle the chore. Instead he feels the best way around all this to simply rewrite a script from the ground up while changing everything we have enjoyed or loved about the two movies completely. Changes in a classic property is good and can bring some awesome new material to work with, but when you revise everything so drastically to the point where you no longer recognize anything save a name? I think it's time to step back and really think about the direction you're heading in. And for those who are willing to look pass all these updates and welcome all this then great for you, I admire your optimism. I'm not saying that sarcastically either it's pretty cool. But i'll leave with what i've seen reposted over the years: Are you willing to pay, dish out money and all around accept anything just because it has a name attached to it? That is my opinion on the matter and as it's mine alone I don't expect everyone to agree with me. :)
This, I wouldn't be bothered quite so much if this were just a spin off, I can take it or leave it. Apart from anything else, I've seen enough remakes, and I'm yet to see one that truly is an improvement.
Daniel, alphabeta001, vgirl liked this
Ghostbuster-Adem84 wrote:And to have this guy come in off the street...
He's been acting since 1986, co-scripted a TV show in 1999 and has a long resume as a writer, producer and actor.
Ghostbuster-Adem84 wrote:...offer us a film that not only gender flips (as cliched as it is now)
Yeah, I remember when they made all of the Transformers characters women in that last Michael Bay film. Totally awkward. Reimagining characters that are actually imaginary to begin with... weird.
Ghostbuster-Adem84 wrote:...his vision is to change everything iconic from the equipment
Well, yeah... did we really not see all of this coming? Seriously, guys.

OF COURSE a reboot is going to redo the equipment. They added slimeblowers in Ghostbusters II. They redid the proton packs and traps in Extreme Ghostbusters.

Anyone try to find a '59 Cadillac Ambulance lately? They're hard to come by. Crank knobs and ribbon cable for your proton packs (which changed in the five years between films)? Hell... A.L.I.C.E pack frame are even getting hard to find. And what looked hi-tech/home-built in 1984 isn't going to wash in a new film in 2015. I mean, Jesus... we're wearing surplus that can be found in antique stores. That's fine for verisimilitude with regard to a three decade old film, but it wouldn't make sense if Ghostbusters started brand new today and raided the local army supply store for uniforms.

I understand that we're a group that has painstakingly researched and recreated items from the original films. But there was no way everything was just going to stay the same forever if they brought the franchise back to the screen.

Is Batman still Batman without the 1960s car? Of course.
Is Doctor Who is still Doctor Who when they change the actors every couple of years? Yes.
Is James Bond still James Bond without a tiny pistol and dark hair? Ring-a-ding-ding.
Is Sherlock Holmes still Sherlock Holmes without his deerstalker cap and a pipe? He's even more relevant without them.
How many examples do we need?

It's going to change, guys. Let's get beyond anger, denial, bargaining, depression and move on to acceptance.
groschopf wrote:
Is Batman still Batman without the 1960s car? Of course.
Is Doctor Who is still Doctor Who when they change the actors every couple of years? Yes.
Is James Bond still James Bond without a tiny pistol and dark hair? Ring-a-ding-ding.
Is Sherlock Holmes still Sherlock Holmes without his deerstalker cap and a pipe? He's even more relevant without them.
How many examples do we need?

It's going to change, guys. Let's get beyond anger, denial, bargaining, depression and move on to acceptance.
1. The 60's car is not the definitive Batmobile. In fact the 60's series deliberately threw out the established elements of Batman.
2. Yes, Buuuuuuuutttt. The show still falls into the continuity established back in 1963. Even the new show is still aware of the original series canon. Plus the Tardis is still present, still looks the same and even the sonic screw driver while having different cases is still the same hardware The 50th special proved this as a plot point.
3. Skyfall reintroduced a majority of the classic elements of James Bond. The Aston Martin, M being a man again plus his office being nearly identical to Dr. No. Moneypenny, Q. Skyfall for all intents in purposes could easily serve as prequel to Dr. No making the whole Bond universe one big loop.
4. Sherlock is a different beast entirely. Hardly any of the adaptations are consistent as far as costumes are concerned. But all portray Sherlock as the eccentric weirdo Doyle wrote him as.

The equipment change in XGB while explained in the pilot weren't needed after the events of the pilot but kept for merchandising purposes. Even RGB had a different equipment but as explained in episode 9 that the RGB are the real continuity and the movies are based on them. Again still tying the continuities.

There is absolutely no reason why Feig can't continue to play in the established universe. Let's rock a predominantly female team. girls can kick some ass too. But why would would the equipment and uniforms need to change? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Hell there have been alot of fantastic ideas thrown out here in this thread that can satisfy Feig's vision as well as seasoned fans. And why not wink at the cartoon and make the packs look like the RGB versions? Feig has the cred and the talent to pull off an amazing continuation of the established canon but by wanting to change everything that made Ghostbusters what it is, it shows that deep down he might be a little overwhelmed at a continuation and this is his way of coping.

C'mon Paul, You have the means and the talent to make this a fantastic spin off. Don't fear what has come before. Embrace it and use your abilities to tell your story in the established world instead of starting from the ground up to stay in your comfort zone. If you have to cast Melissa McCarthy, tone her down. make her the Ray of the group. Gillian Anderson would make a fantastic "Brain" for the group. You have the power to keep Ghostbusters alive for years to come. Just don't ignore what gave you the opportunity in the first place.
groschopf wrote:
featofstrength wrote:Image
Annnnnnnddddd we have a fat joke.
Keep it classy, boys.
1) How is that a fat joke, exactly? Your perception.

2) She's heavy. We all know it, and she knows it and does the exploitation herself. That's McCarthy's schtick (pronounced: Cha-ching! $$$)

3) "Otho the Obnoxious" makes an excellent custom for resemblance sake. Or do you prefer gross inaccuracies that even children know ain't right?
I'm gonna play supporter of unpopular internet opinions. Don't freak out.

1. I'm told that Paul Feig has a great feel for humor. The fact that he wants to mix genuine horror and comedy feels like the right direction. I also understand that he's written a few books that are pretty funny.

2. I sincerely doubt that an all female cast is going to happen. This isn't "The Women" (And if it is, I nominate Paul Scheer for male Janine Melnitz.)

3. I also doubt that the equipment will be completely re-imagined. The visual look of the equipment has been around for 30 years. Think about properties like Superman or Pepsi. You can still identify both even though they have significantly changed over the 80+ years they have been around.

4. Stop assuming Melissa McCarthy will be in it. The script isn't even finished. Remember that Nic Cage Superman movie? Remember that James Cameron was going to make Spiderman with Leonardo DiCaprio as Peter Parker? Hell, even bigger franchises like Lord of the Rings had last-minute changes. Try not to think that this whole thing is set in stone. Or do. I really don't care how you live your life.

5. I personally don't like the idea of a reboot, but it's not my call. It was either going to be a direct sequel or a reboot. Maybe it should be an indirect sequel? Like the events happened, but it's been relatively quiet for the last 22 years?
SPJ liked this
I thought the packs power supply had a half life of a thousand years or so. As a continuation that would make sense in the pest control identity that was aimed at, they wouldn't have brand new gear they'd have the cheapest easiest build product for repair and mass production.
Of course this is an explanation for an in universe reason.
SPJ liked this
groschopf wrote:
Ghostbuster-Adem84 wrote:And to have this guy come in off the street...
He's been acting since 1986, co-scripted a TV show in 1999 and has a long resume as a writer, producer and actor.
Ghostbuster-Adem84 wrote:...offer us a film that not only gender flips (as cliched as it is now)
Yeah, I remember when they made all of the Transformers characters women in that last Michael Bay film. Totally awkward. Reimagining characters that are actually imaginary to begin with... weird.
Ghostbuster-Adem84 wrote:...his vision is to change everything iconic from the equipment

OF COURSE a reboot is going to redo the equipment. They added slimeblowers in Ghostbusters II. They redid the proton packs and traps in Extreme Ghostbusters.
The Extreme Ghostbusters equipment was awful, especially Kylie's hair dryer weapon. I'm still trying to forget how bad that show was and still is.
vgirl liked this
I honestly liked that series.
I wish i could get the entire series on DVD or blue ray kinda like TRGB did a ways back.
Anyhow.

As for this movie being made... i'm not a sexist nor a feminist.. what i am is an equalist, and i would just prefer a sequel with a mixed gender team as appose to an all female reboot... but that's just me.

Honestly i wish they would just continue The Real Ghostbusters animated series some how, much like how the new Ninja Turtles is being done on Nickelodeon, which is really good so far in my opinion.

I mean we still got most of the voice actors who could do the roles.... only i rather have Peter be voiced by someone other than David Colier or what ever the hell his name was, his Peter Venkman was horrible... we need someone as good as Music was at doing Pete Venkman... real deadpan.
David C sounded too much like a smart ass with every line he spoke.
Daniel, Glenn Frederick, SPJ liked this
I thought Dave's Pete was just plain obnoxious and I'm a die hard Pete fan.
And someone who agrees with me on JJ Trek! OMG!! I sat through that 1st movie and I wanted to leave halfway through. I still want my money back, even though it was a couples date. The only new fans they brought into that franchise were brain dead idiots whose heads will explode when they see that actual Trek involves using brains.
And that other guy is right, you can't make a reboot and call it a sequel, all of the newer watchers will have nothing to relate too and will be even more confused when they see a movie that has nothing to do with the previous 2 and not having any explanation given at all as to why.
When I hear reboot, I check under my bed for monsters, it's that scary. Trek is a good example IMO.
Daniel, SPJ liked this
I guess there's some good news:

Seeing as this "ladies" version of Ghostbusters is a complete reboot (and not in the same universe as the real Ghostbusters) atleast the logo and the cyclotron proton packs are safe.

They cannot have those if the universes are different.

Still though, for me it's sad to know that Sony considers one of my favourite franchises as small enough to be relegated to an experiment in cinematic feminism.
Daniel, SPJ liked this
Does anyone really want to see an ALL female cast? I think it's great to have a few females on the team but when the merchandise comes out, I can't picture guys collecting Ghostbusters action figures of an all female cast. That would be like buying Ghostbusters Barbie dolls.
But I know someone mentioned earlier that no matter what happens, it's not hurting the franchise. If Ghostbusters still remains strong today, then I would say that the cartoons, merchandise, and first two movies are set in stone. Nothing can hurt.
SPJ liked this
I have zero issues with a female team....my issue is in the "reboot" aspect. If they had the girls starting a franchise it would be perfect.
SPJ, vgirl liked this
tilallr1 wrote:Woah ... new proton pack designs revealed:
This Post Contains Spoilers
I love it!!

They should definitely do this!

I hope they shoot rainbow streams and comb nice pony ghosts beautiful manes!!

I'm so excited!!!

Go Paul Feig!!!!

Finally all women Ghostbusters... Yay!!!!
its been confirmed on the five, and there is a release date. What we need now is a new He-Man movie to run along with Power Rangers, TMNT 2, and Jem and The Holograms.

I would like to see Matty Collector keep their word and release the proton pack. Even if this reboot isnt up to par with our favorite film my mouth is watering over the merchandise that will come out.
Two things:

I was wrong about an all female cast and Melissa McCarthy being in it. Sorry.

Second, I feel that a lot of you (you know who you are) are blowing this out of proportion. Life could be worse. For instance I found out that people I care about are in a very dangerous and abusive situation and there's nothing I can do about it even though it could be life threatening for them. A few weeks ago, my house flooded and destroyed pretty much everything I own. And while insurance has helped out, there are some things like heirlooms and photos that can't be replaced. And even with all that life could be a lot worse for me. Sorry this isn't the third movie you want, but suck it up.
PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?

Also, sorry I can’t answer the question, but[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]