Ghostbuster J wrote:Not the best fan film I've ever seen, but it put a smile on my face, as well as a bunch of people in the library apparently, so I'd say mission accomplished. Good job guys! :cool:
Its not a fan film.

Its an improvisation where they go out and do something to get reactions of the bystanders. The people who are in the video have no idea what they will be doing until a few hours before. Its not like they showed up with accurate Ghostbusters costumes. Its why its.... Improv.

One of my favorites:

Even though I found that particular video kinda boring as well as the Best buy one (though the concept for both is humorous) I would like to comment on the pantleggers here

Shut up

It is not a fan film by a group of dedicated Ghostheads trying to recreate the movie, it is a skit. Stop complaining about the damn gear they used. Would you really expect them to spend the money to either rent from someone or build their own accurate props? Even if you say you would lend yours for free; again why would they go through the trouble to track someone like that down? It was a prank/comedic moment to be put on the internet. Not even shows on TV with an actual budget would but a whole lot of time and cash into something that was meant to be a few minute comedy skit.
They could have, at least, reached out to the community to have some authentic looking equipment and guy instead of the cheesy halloween costumes.
It would have been nice if they'd used proper suits
That's exactly what I thought when they first walked through the door
While the idea is amusing, those damned Halloween costumes really ruin it...
And there has been more outside the thread
Now I dig the concept behind this film... this is real improvising, no time to build or plan on make up or suit. "Wear this now do that"

Like I said, I'm glad to see one of my favourite movies remembered and honoured this way.

And this shows it can be done. So why not do it "properly" by GB fans? Improvise a ghost hunting scene in a public area with real props, especial effects, and spooky or funny ghosts, that could be some local legend, in propper make up.
portugueseGB wrote:So why not do it "properly" by GB fans? Improvise a ghost hunting scene in a public area with real props, especial effects, and spooky or funny ghosts, that could be some local legend, in propper make up.
Because you would look like a fool.
True, the lack of authentic looking props gave a disservice to something many of us hold dear... I will admit that I took a little 'fan-boy' insult on that side.

But looking at this video again, I think what I dislike more - outside of the fact that it makes a really unfunny video ("you should have been there") - is how it was a planned event that was arranged and organised with the approval of the NYPL.

It's like when flash-mobs became a surprise.. now they are a corporate event to advertise a product or company. This event was a planned event and requested/arranged by the NYPL, not intended to mess with anyone.. but in a, successful, attempt to bring some publicity to the NYPL (which I applaud).
AJ Quick wrote:
portugueseGB wrote:So why not do it "properly" by GB fans? Improvise a ghost hunting scene in a public area with real props, especial effects, and spooky or funny ghosts, that could be some local legend, in propper make up.
That is a certainty - when we wear a 1984 science fiction comedy costume that should catch ghosts we are asking for it! But we get in the mood and walk past that point. And we expect people to do it to. If they don't its their problem.

If its done for the fun of it, like this great Star Wars improv, and make people enjoy it I wouldn't mind look like a fool this way. Why not make it part of a fan movie scene even.

And after seeing this I do feel the improvisers that ghostbusted the public library could have tried a little harder - the argument that because it was an improv they had no time for prop building and costume preparations dies with this video :) . They should try harder next time! :walterpeck:

*edit*
I say "we" but I've never wore a GB costume as I'm still making my own... And I know I will feel like a fool if I am the only one wearing such a costume in my whole country unless its carnival (a date we celebrate where you can disguise yourself).
AJ Quick wrote:
I know, old thread, old video, old concept, but watched it again today with the wife while we were browsing around YouTube, but would it really be that bad of an idea to try this again, but with proper uniforms and props (with permission from the library, of course)...?
The Video Game Lifegard

Chris Hunt in the Facebook Group 3D Printed Ghostb[…]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]