I have a pretty decent collection of toys, mostly video game related, and it really amazes me when you compare toys (for lack of a better term) crapped out by Mattel and even NECA (sometimes) for $20-30 each. I never really got into the GB figures for whatever reason (probably a lack of space, honestly.), but the overall quality and

This is a $25 Jehuty figure from an old PS2 game, Zone of the Enders.

Incredible ability to pose, loads of accessories, multiple sets of hands, a clear plastic stand to pose, holy crap so many joints, etc. etc. Shipping from Japan cost me something like, $16 for EMS (priority international, essentially)

When Mattel complains that their production costs have 'gone up', I honestly don't buy it. Toys made in China don't cost hardly anything, and even with sculpting and licensing fees, they were milking what they knew was a 'short lived' series.

I'm kind of sad, Ghostbusters really did deserve better than the toy line it got, and there are companies out there that would have done it amazing justice. If Mattel is really saying their sales are low on the series, it's 100% their fault. They've started selling the Masters of the Universe line in Wal-Mart, FFS. It's hard to expect high sales when your product isn't available for anyone to buy.

Don't even get me started on Digital River.
While I can see a variety of understandable points, the main argument here is "They charge way too much for a cheap product and poor customer service." It's called Matty COLLECTOR, I think they are supposed to charge more for the rare product. I have not ordered from them yet, but it seems that a lot of hate around here seems to stem from them making a lot of shipping and quality promises on the release date, and some people receiving the product late and disappointed with the overall product (it's not resign, but plastic, like many members here seem to be used to). I never in a million years would ever think that a company would try and replicate some of things that are made here from scratch for $200-$500 for a ghost trap or PKE meter, but Matty has done it cheaply with affordable prices with lights/sound. I think some people expected exact movie quality for the cheap price, but this seems very reasonable for the product.

Mike_D wrote: It's called Matty COLLECTOR, I think they are supposed to charge more for the rare product.
But they aren't rare..they are made to appear rare to drive up price and demand.

I don't consider myself collector of the toys. I have the "hats off" Toys R Us set and the Mego Samhain and Janine set both for the same reason...because they were on sale in the store for 9 bucks.

I DO have the PKE and Trap because, for the price I could not build or buy props that do what they do...

But while they were reasonable in that respect, they were still over priced. And when you add the shipping snafus that AJ mentioned...much more so.

Add to that the fake "sold out" instances that happened with both items and really, I don't see how you can defend them.
I too was kicked out of Mattycollector because I said that the Mattel Ghostbusters line needs a manager not a Lemon. I really look at my Ghostbusters figures and can not help but feel cheated by Mattel and in the end when all is said and done I only cheated myself for patronizing Mattel's Ghostbusters toy line simply because the Ghostbusters franchise is one of the loves of my life.
Wow, I was kinda bummed that I missed out on the ghost trap, but I guess on the bright side it means I didn't shell out my hard earned cash to a scum-sucking corporation that apparently engages in fraud and deceit.

Why don't we all just boycott this joint then? I don't think we have any alternative as a community, if we really want better quality and customer service. Besides, who needs these crumby ecto-goggles anyhow? I built a way cooler pair for $35....
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I always wanted to say something to the degree you just did (though obviously it would not have been as tactful or fact-supported) but like any GB merch starved fan — you don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Yet it would seem in our case, the same one shits on our shoe and kicks us from behind.

All of your points were phenomenal. And as I've always said (to myself) one of THE most glaring slights we all took was the quality to price ratio. You look at what a NECA or McFarlane Toys produces for the same price range and Mattel by comparison looks laughable.
AJ Quick wrote:Another fan reports having been banned from MattyCollector's Facebook page for merely pointing out a grammatical error on one of their posts.
That would be me. I corrected a "they're" to "their" for them, and boom... banned.

That was the stopping point for me. The collector in me wants to get one pair of the goggles just for the sake of having the entire collection. The person in me wants to say "screw it and Mattel" just because of how anal they got over that little correction and the treatment of other fans.

In the end, I'm definitely done with that company. Mainly because of everything AJ has laid out. Kudos for the article. I hope someone over at MattyCollector sees it. They probably won't see the error of their ways, but at least they'll know.
Vincenzo330 liked this
In a really nice coincidence, this is what I posted to my Facebook page on the spur of the moment yesterday; I didn't see AJ's post from yesterday until just now...

"Regarding MATTYCOLLECTOR.COM... their whole attitude reminds me of this kid from my neighborhood growing up. He talked big about what he could do, no one ever saw any proof of his boasts, and when he couldn't make good on his promises, he always had a convenient excuse. I'm tired of Mattel blaming the consumers for everything. Hasbro seems to have no trouble actually MAKING toys and putting them (gasp) in toy stores... they sure aren't whining about online pre-sales being below expectations. Grow a damn set."

A friend had come over to my house and I somehow got onto a story about the 'kid from my neighborhood growing up' and his childishly transparent lies, and suddenly it clicked in my brain: "You know who else acts like that? Mattycollector.com!" so I sat down and typed that out even while I had company over.

I wonder if that kid grew up to work for them?

~~~
lannyjack wrote: 1.Poor quality control - I had to exchange 3/4 of the GB1 team for horrible paint apps. (around 15 returns when talking about MOTUC - 3 of those were for Skeletor alone). Picky? Absolutely. When I am paying anywhere from $20-$25 for a figure, it should be perfect. If the figures were at retail store, I would pass up the one that had one eye painted and an arm so loose it can't hold the accessory.
Excellent point, and one I've made in the past about why I prefer to hunt for my own figures at retail rather than buy them online.

There have been times when I've held four of the exact same action figure (e.g. Star Wars of what-have-you) in my hands at a local store, scrutinizing every tiny detail of their paint apps for the one that I think is the best.

And then there are the times I've resorted to buying a figure through mail-order, and when it arrives I just get sick at the deco.

Alex
My Club Ecto "Slimer gift" went to my old address after several emails went back and forth about changing my address months ago. So that's in the hands now of either my ex (doubt it, she would have forwarded it on) or most likely some complete stranger. Thanks Mattel, you rock.
Nice too see people agreeing with me after these years. I was complaining about them from the start when they were first released, and was told by people here I should shut up and be greatful that anyone was producing anything at all.

The 6" line was produced on a shoestring budget, poorly sculpted, and cheap materials were used. And then they tacked on "collector pricing". They are still milking the larger Master of the Universe community, with the upcoming $250 castle greyskull.

And the real shame, is this is part of the same company that delivered the 1:18 ecto last year which was really well done, despite some minor deco flaws.

Here's an example of the difference of customer service as well:

Recently we picked up some Monster High dolls for Marci. One had a badly formed peg, and when we tried to assemble the figure, it snapped right off. We had ordered this newly released (not yet in stores) item, so there was no chance of just doing a walmart replacement.

(Also, the Mattel store deal they offered was B1G1 50% off, and free shipping. On new, hot unreleased items!)

So I call mattel up, and explain the situation. They take my address down, and tell me they'll ship a replacement... with no hassle at all. No picture of the broken item, and no shipping it back to them either!

So I figure we'll see it in a week or two.

And the next day, almost exactly 24 hours after the phone call, Fed Ex is dropping a package off from them, which was overnighted!

THIS is customer service, not that shoddy stuff we heard from Matty Collector.

And its part of the same damned company! Unbelievable!

Mattel really needs to fire people in charge of Matty Collector, and replace them.
I agree with Gareee on that one.

Mattel and MattyCollector's customer service are two completely different things. One is handled in house, and the other is the lowest paid people possible working at Digital River. I often hear stories like Gareee's in regard to Mattel's customer service... replacements shipped usually overnight... and always handled promptly and immediately.

MattyCollector on the otherhand.... we all know how they would have handled it:
Thank you for contacting the MattyCollector.com online store.

We apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused.

We are still actively working to resolve your case. Unfortunately we
have not to date reach a resolution. Your case has been escalated and is
being treated with a high priority.

We will continue to keep you updated until a resolution has been
achieved. If you do not receive an email from us, please check your junk
or spam mail filters.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
And then they never email you about it again...
Spooky!!
Thank you for contacting the MattyCollector.com online store.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

We have submitted a request to our escalation department. Please expect
to be contacted within 2 business days.

The ticket number is 513054

Please check your inbox, spam and junk mail folders for any
notifications.

We appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,
(Name removed)
MattyCollector.com online store
Customer Service
mattycollector.cs@digitalriver.com
Email ID: 24760310
3rd January 2013.....Never heard from again.
I'm not a Mattel fan by any means, but I am very happy to have my four movie Ghostbusters figures, Peck, the trap and PKE. These are toys I have wanted since my father handed me a VHS bootleg of the movie in 1985.

My biggest gripes aside from the prices and mattycollector were the rubbery throwers and the godawful RGB dolls.

Now that the line is done and I have everything I want (besides a full pack) I really can't complain. What's done is done.
Personally, I can't understand the mentality that people still have, even after reading the OP, that there's nothing wrong with the products MattyCollector makes, or the way they do business. It's not just in the GB community either; I know people that are of the attitude that "we're lucky to have any hoverboard," regardless of the promises that were broken, etc.

As long as those types of people are around, to just shrug and throw their money over the fence, companies like MattyCollector will continue to do business the way they do, and leaves us shaking our heads.
Matt Campbell, Gareee liked this
As far as i know we are not the only group that, s been hoax by matty, i have a friend in the master of the universe club , whos telling me that greyskull castle is s rip off, not size they promise and with a higher price!! So there you go!! As far as the line, is was really lame and lack of creativity was something common on every delivery, they knew we were dying for a line base on the real ghostbusters cartoons wich if delivered would have save the line for sure!! Just imagine the variaty of caracters and ghosts, our only hope??!! Well that matty let go of the license and is awarded to a smaller but brigther company, who actually listens to the fans, a 3 inch line would rock , base on the films and cartoons, this would cut production prices , and would give us a chance to actually own most desired caracters, well let us dream on for a while and see what happens, we still have diamond select and art asylun doing great work for the franchise!! A.j is rigth !! And we must support him!!! is the only way to make monsters like mattel think about their mistakes and stop blaming us the fans for their ineptitude. !!!
I remember the night I was banned from matty. Had one of the mods ban me for life, deleting my posts, and removing all accounts with my ip address. I also remember when they said Courtroom Ray was an isolated incident, a one shot deal and never to be reissued again. Until a few days after I had ordered him up, before he had even been delivered, they had discounted him twenty percent. I called DR, they would not refund me the money. Remember when we didn't even have to order the figures on sale day when there was a sub? I do. I was banned when we were told that we would not have another sub. Instead they went with Voltron or something. How did that go? Remember when we were told our free gift (the free gift that was speculated over for a lengthy period of time that was suppossed to be something that fans were demanding for a long time) would be shipping soon and then months and months and quarters and quarters went by until that free gift shipped? I just got mine today. Today. After all this time, I got it today. I don't remember one person saying they wanted a glow in the dark slimer. We wanted accurate goggles for Ray. We wanted an accessories pack. Heck, I wouldve taken a stethoscope for RTBY Egon. But a glow in the dark slimer? Really? How many slimers do we need? Isn't it funny how a company so strapped for cash ships a free gift in not one, but multiple shipments? Makes sense, right? Makes sense to waste all that time and money to ship, multiple times over, a free gift? Thanks for all the memories, even i want to forget them.
Ron Daniels liked this
I was on their Facebook page and reading comments this was the first that popped up:

"I am not a happy customer right now. I am in Los angeles and the average CA sales tax is around 8.25% yet you charged me around 13% sales tax along with $9.90 shipping for USPS Parcel Post...That is highway robbery...I won't be buying anymore figures anytime soon as you know that is a rip off "
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
I may not be an active poster here at gbfans.com, but as a long time follower/lurker whatever you call it, please allw me to say this.

for the past 5 or so years i've had an interest in wanting to build my own pack and flight suit. whenever i do i search on the parts needed for the packs, i'm sent back to gbfans online shop more or less about 90% of the time.

in that 90% range i see items that you constantly post as being "out of stock" but then magically appear a month or so later , much the same way mattel does with new items.

i have also noticed over the past 2 years that you seem to buy and resell mattel products such as the PKE meters.

as a fan of ghostbusters, i was excited to find this site (along with spook central), but ever since i discovered fans and eventually a whole franchise from my home state, i noticed a lot of problems with mattel seem to start at one source....YOU!!

stop bitching about what mattel has done to the line, just be happy that they even bothered to make a line for ghostbusters.
bamaskyline wrote:in that 90% range i see items that you constantly post as being "out of stock" but then magically appear a month or so later , much the same way mattel does with new items.
Actually no, there are good reasons that the fan shop doesn't have some parts in stock at one time or another. An easy example it the GB1 Ribbon Cables. Right now the Fan Shop is out of stock on them. Reason, AJ doesn't have any to sell at the moment. I know this for a fact because I supply him those cables and right now I have college classes that take a priority in my life.

So the Fan Shop is not like Matty in this point.
cowbybill, Kingpin, c05ta and 3 others liked this
While I don`t have any of the Ghostbusters Movie toys I do have a couple of the RBG figures. While I like them there are a few issues with the figures. Packaging for one. If you are a hard core collector there`s no way you are taking it out of the package, but it comes with the proton pack off the figure so If you want to see the figure with the pack on you have no choice but to take it out of the packaging. Speaking of the Packs, they look nothing like the ones in the cartoon. Hell, the thrower resembles the movie thrower only blue.

Then there`s there`s the problem with Ray and Peter having the same head sculpt just different hair styles, and the elastic they used to attach the legs to the figure. They attach the arms to the body with standard arm joints but the legs are held on loosely with elastics? I can't tell you the number of times they've fallen off my shelf.

Then there's the already mentioned price. I was fortunate not to have bought my figures directly from Matty Collector, One of Ebay, One from a Comic Store. Both were reasonable prices. I always thought that it would be cheaper to buy it directly from the company but it looks like that isn't the case.
Does anyone know how we could contact a Sony rep to express these feelings and facts towards Mattycollector? I think letting them know about these shenanigans might help get the license revoked and handed over to a more deserving company. I absolutely hate Mattel. Everyone there except for The80sdrummer is a complete dick that deserves to be punched in the face repeatedly. Toyguru is a joke, and his minion "mods" are even more pathetic. They know nothing, and lie at every chance they get.

I seriously hope the higher-ups at Sony catch wind of all of this. Maybe if Mattycollector decides to continue to own the GB license and not producing any products after the Ecto Goggles, maybe we can bombard them with hate mail and blow up their facebook page until they sell the license to a BETTER company. Mattel sucks, that is all.
Ernest Reid liked this
Honestly, Sony won't care. 2 or 3 years ago they got the money from Mattel to produce whatever toys they chose to make, and odds are, they got a sizable sum, since at that point GB3 was anticipated, and Mattel wanted the rights for a big movie release.

The movie never materialized, so mattel paid though the nose, and didn't score big with the licensing purchase. That might be why they decided to do more expensive props.. to recoup lost money from the licensing purchase.

I just hope whenever GB3 DOES finally get done, mattel doesn;t hold the licsensing rights, because all we'll see is some cheap brick n mortar store releases, and a movie masters line which will just be rereleases of the collector line, with maybe a few new figs tossed in to freshen it up.

I've ordered one of these for a friend to use off […]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last m[…]

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]