If you haven't already been bombarded by this news, where have you been for the past 12 hours!?

Social media has exploded overnight with comments and tweets about Paul Feig's plans for a new female centric Ghostbusters movie, spurred on by announcements made by Sony Pictures' official social media accounts. Entertainment Weekly also has an interview with the would-be Director where he discusses his vision for a new Ghostbusters movie including rebooting the whole franchise in a completely different universe with female actresses taking the lead. The news also includes the hiring of The Heat's writer Katie Dipplod to work on the script.

Fans have been raising their concerns on social media, such as the Ghostbusters Fans Facebook page and Twitter. Before everyone gets up in arms about this movie, everyone needs to remember this important fact. We have been to this point in "Ghostbusters 3" development several times. It was only a few years ago now that Etan Cohen was hired as the writer with Ivan Reitman directing. A few years before that, it was Lee Eisenberg & Gene Stupnitsky. And for a decade before that, Dan Aykroyd was certain he had the best script for a new Ghostbusters movie.

Before jumping to rash decisions and making a bunch of ignorant comments, let's consider for a second that this doesn't actually put us any closer to a new Ghostbusters movie than we have been before. It might be fun to think about the idea, or dismiss it entirely, but whatever does come out of it will be a positive change for the Ghostbusters franchise.
I don't agree that "whatever comes out of it will be a positive change for the Ghostbusters franchise" and I don't even understand how you can make that statement.

With what little we know, there is no way to say that it will guaranteed be a positive thing.
Daniel, joeghostbuster, ProtonPack83 and 2 others liked this
Doctor Venkman wrote:I don't agree that "whatever comes out of it will be a positive change for the Ghostbusters franchise" and I don't even understand how you can make that statement.

With what little we know, there is no way to say that it will guaranteed be a positive thing.
They could make the worst possible movie imaginable. I mean, so cringeworthy that you walk out of the theater five minutes in. It would STILL be a positive change for the franchise. Why?

A few reasons:

-It would still likely make a profit.
-It would pull in more people to Ghostbusters fandom.
-It would make the first two films that much better.
-It would generate a whole lot of new merchandise.
-It would most likely spur on a new cartoon / tv series.

And if it REALLY sucks...

There would be another reboot to follow a few years later, which could potentially be much better.

Absolutely nothing we currently have is ruined by making a new Ghostbusters movie. Nothing.
reevz1977 wrote:Can you swear on this forum??
Only swear words that were used in the first two films. This site aims to be PG / PG-13 like the original movies were.
Gareee, Vee, Glenn Frederick liked this
I guess the worst case scenario is the third movie is utterly terrible, no one sees it, the new merchandise sucks, and we're stuck buying a copy of it every time a new box set of the trilogy is released. At least there's always 30 years and counting of good feelings for the original! (And 25+ years of good feelings for the sequel, but your own mileage may vary on that one a bit.)

For comparison, just think of the third Smokey and the Bandit movie that no one remembers, and those TV movies they made. They don't do much to hurt the romp that was the original movie!
Vee liked this
So the news is correct? Wow. I don't know how/what I feel, but since this IS happening, I guess all GB fans will just have to learn to live with it. On the cast, I am 100% fine with women being in it, and such I am not sexist, but are they "making them women" just for the feminine vibe? If so, that is the wrong way to do it. Put in guys and girls and make it work with chemistry between the cast, that will work. On the not acknowledging the old movies, at first I was mad like many but I do see the point: not touching it will mean this can succeed OR fail on its own, and other than name of the movie, not pull the others down. Now many will say "Do it right or don't do it at all" and I get that, we the fans/consumers have no say in this, and it looks like it is happening. We lost Harold :sigh: and now we are getting a reboot, so I guess be happy the franchise is getting attention?

Personally I would bring the surviving 3 back as mentors, maybe even retired or locked up (something funny, GB is a comedy) and the crap hits the fan and say one has a relative (nephew or niece) and they get originals to help them. Also I would play on Harold;s passing as to make him a ghost, fully cg him as he was in GB 1 and 2, heck even have a running joke in the movie about Egon looking and being young vs the old guys, would be funny. Oh well, that won't happen. Lets hope this one does OK, now I am just patiently waiting on the first trailer to either cringe at or be surprised and excited.
sandmanfvr wrote:So the news is correct?
The news is only correct up to a point.

The main take away is this:

Paul Feig was hired to direct.
Paul Feig hired Katie Dippold to write.

That's it.

That doesn't mean a movie will be made, or that those people will be the ones that are responsible for the final product. Only that those who are currently working on it.

We've been at this point in development several times in the past decade and so far none of those attempts have resulted in a movie.
groschopf, ROBOrob77 liked this
Best news? Matty can't reuse the molds from their old figure releases, and will have to resculpt them to release new figures... LOL!

Bazinga, Matty!
alphabeta001, Vee, YHSCraig and 3 others liked this
True we been here before, with all the scripts Dan made etc, but to me this feels very different being 30 year anniversary, and now a director and writer (not Dan). I think GB, the new one, is being made and maybe some were tired of the wait. I just hope it is good.
Gareee wrote:Best news? Matty can't reuse the molds from their old figure releases, and will have to resculpt them to release new figures... LOL!

Bazinga, Matty!
Yeah, but Matty's not a fan of making female characters in an action figure line for boys. Yeah, they'll sneak them in here and there, but a whole team of women will be fun to watch Mattel wrestle with. Maybe something for their Barbie line?

At least it'll give them reason to resurrect their Classics line and give a bit of money for making The Real Ghostbusters figures.
Gareee liked this
AJ Quick wrote:[

The news is only correct up to a point.

The main take away is this:

Paul Feig was hired to direct.
Paul Feig hired Katie Dippold to write.

That's it.

That doesn't mean a movie will be made, or that those people will be the ones that are responsible for the final product. Only that those who are currently working on it.

We've been at this point in development several times in the past decade and so far none of those attempts have resulted in a movie.
Amen to that.

So far, the main source of this information has been Feig and whatever news outlet or social network page has echoed his tweet or interview. If the script doesn't look like it'll work, it'll fall by the wayside just like all of the previous ones. Everyone needs to cool off and wait until something actually goes into production. Wait for more than one source to confirm that this movie is actually being made.

That said -- for f**k's sake, commenters need to lay off on the "omg, GIRLS?!?!" rage and fat jokes. If a woman can be the big, badass villain at the end of the first film, a woman can sure as hell be the hero too.
cray, Vee liked this
Okay, let's be honest here....the negativity is nothing to do with the director, or the fact it will feature women...the negativity comes from the fact this is simply a reboot. Pure and simple! If the original living actors don't return for their GB roles then essentially, it's a reboot, nor can it be regarded as Ghostbusters 3 as that would be sequel to those that come before.

I have nothing against this new idea persay but I wanted a proper GB3, not what's on the table now. BUT that's not to say I won't watch it, of course I will...I'm just not happy about it
Daniel, monolith21 liked this
I think at this point, despite myself I'm already starting to be okay with an "alternate universe"

It means I can ignore it the way I ignore JJ Abrams' shitty Star Trek movies. I realize a lot of people enjoyed them and they made assloads of money, but I barely made it through XI, and couldn't finish XII it was getting so stupid.

If NuGB sucks, it doesn't affect the characters I love at all. If it's great...well, it still doesn't affect the characters I love at all.

And as AJ keeps reminding us, that's if the damn thing even happens. There's still many many hurdles to be jumped before it shows up on the screen.
vgirl liked this
The problem with this is that if it doesn't works, probably will be the nail on the coffin for Ghostbusters: it's not Spider-Man or Batman, it is a very different type of movie. Seriously, how many women action figures are sold out there? Merchandising is one of the reasons they do films and reboots... Ghostbusters have a vibe with children and a all women picture doesn't.
ROBOrob77 liked this
Fritz wrote:I think at this point, despite myself I'm already starting to be okay with an "alternate universe"

It means I can ignore it the way I ignore JJ Abrams' shitty Star Trek movies. I realize a lot of people enjoyed them and they made assloads of money, but I barely made it through XI, and couldn't finish XII it was getting so stupid.

If NuGB sucks, it doesn't affect the characters I love at all. If it's great...well, it still doesn't affect the characters I love at all.

And as AJ keeps reminding us, that's if the damn thing even happens. There's still many many hurdles to be jumped before it shows up on the screen.
Well said. I've felt it should be a clean break from the original characters and story since Harold passed. You can't put the Beatles back together same is true with our fab four, do a direct reboot would be like "new" coke to me. Phone in a continuation with old and new blood and you get kingdom of the Crystal skull. I don't want to relive that.

Feigs new everything (as per the entertainment weekly article) preserves our timeline and allows the brand the chance to grow out of years of neglect. I've got 3 young girls. Positive female role models/sci-fi characters for them are welcome, though I wonder if they'll keep it pg for kids. That said Ill believe its happening when I see a trailer.
Daniel wrote:The problem with this is that if it doesn't works, probably will be the nail on the coffin for Ghostbusters: it's not Spider-Man.
This is simply not correct.

In terms of franchises, Sony owns 3 that have been extremely profitable.

-Spiderman
-Men in Black
-Ghostbusters

They would likely try again if a reboot is a failure as they have with Spiderman.
Lady Hatred, groschopf liked this
Daniel wrote:The problem with this is that if it doesn't works, probably will be the nail on the coffin for Ghostbusters: it's not Spider-Man or Batman, it is a very different type of movie. Seriously, how many women action figures are sold out there? Merchandising is one of the reasons they do films and reboots... Ghostbusters have a vibe with children and a all women picture doesn't.
Nothing cinematically has happened for 25 yrs. I love the gbs but the franchise has been buried for years well before Ramis' passing. If it fails it goes back to being buried. If it succeeds it may resurrect all aspects of the property for a year or two. Let them have their shot at it, as long as the main timeline isn't hurt.
Daniel liked this
AJ just made the best point out of everyone. This is good for the franchise overall and it's definitely GREAT for GBFANS from a business perspective. I would think that anyone who builds pack parts or props would also be extactic knowing that Ghostbusters is about to be reinjected into pop culture in a serious manner. More customers, more website traffic, more merchandise! I love this plan, I'm happy to be a part of it!
Lady Hatred liked this
Some_Guy wrote:
Doctor Venkman wrote:
There's nothing saying it'll be negative either.
I completely agree, and I didn't suggest that it would be. I'm saying its way too early to be making statements one way or the other, especially definitive ones.
AJ Quick wrote:
Doctor Venkman wrote:I don't agree that "whatever comes out of it will be a positive change for the Ghostbusters franchise" and I don't even understand how you can make that statement.

They could make the worst possible movie imaginable. I mean, so cringeworthy that you walk out of the theater five minutes in. It would STILL be a positive change for the franchise. Why?

A few reasons:

-It would still likely make a profit.
-It would pull in more people to Ghostbusters fandom.
-It would make the first two films that much better.
-It would generate a whole lot of new merchandise.
-It would most likely spur on a new cartoon / tv series.

And if it REALLY sucks...

There would be another reboot to follow a few years later, which could potentially be much better.

Absolutely nothing we currently have is ruined by making a new Ghostbusters movie. Nothing.
I may not agree with your assessment, but I totally agree with the bolded part. I was never suggesting that it would ruin the past stuff, which I hate when people say that. If anyone lets something new ruin how they feel about something older then they're an idiot, as far as I'm concerned.

The third movie may be the worst movie in the history of film, it still can't ruin the first two movies for me. I completely agree with you there.
alphabeta001, Daniel liked this
I couldn't agree with AJ and Craig more.

The 4th season of Arrested Development, while partially terrible, did absolutely nothing to tarnish the immaculacy of the first 3 seasons. New extensions of a franchise can't sully precursors when the original is perfect. I don't enjoy the early seasons of Seinfeld any less because the later seasons jumped the shark too often. The Blue Album isn't any less comforting to me after hearing "Magic" sung acapella style in Pitch Perfect.

I want to see funny women on screen. I want to spend way too much money on sick ass female action figures. I want to soak up every leak from this story as it unfolds because it excites the hell out of me.

Watch Broad City, heck watch any episode of Parks and Rec (maybe even one written by Katie Dippold or directed by Paul Feig) and try not to laugh, bro. Seriously.

It's 2014 and I'm sure as heck ready to see a team of gut-busting, slime-blowing, ass-kicking lady role models on the big screen. Now let's all chill out and watch Freaks and Geeks already.
YHSCraig, Carpeteria liked this
Well considering we have waited so long for something to materialize what's to say that even this will actually come to light. I'm not surprised that it will be a reboot. Seems that is all Hollywood is good for these days. I would have preferred to have some of the original cast to have more of a role in behind as well as in front of the camera. Don't really have a feeling one way or the other on it. If anything, just hope it is a solid script with good actors and actresses. Gender switch isn't a problem with me. I was raised in a house full of women. I will of course always be forever loyal to the original films but let's just see what happens. And if the movie turns out to be a dud we need to at least see it to find that out.
jakeacc wrote:"...but whatever does come out of it will be a positive change for the Ghostbusters franchise."

Right. Just like the Star Wars prequels and Indiana Jones 4 were positive changes to their movie franchises. :P
Shhhhh! We don't talk about those...
Fritz wrote:I think at this point, despite myself I'm already starting to be okay with an "alternate universe"

I haven't read the interviews/articles, so the "alternate reality" thing a-la Abrams' Trek IS the route they're going for sure? As of now, at least?

If they HAVE to go the reboot route, then I guess that's the best way to go about it, for the reasons you stated.
Paul Feig co-created Freaks and Geeks with Judd Apatow, so no issues there, that show was brilliant and had great comedic writing. but the idea of rebooting it as an all girl team really bothers me. I wouldnt consider myself sexist, because I was really liking the idea of 3 guys and 1 or 2 girls working together on a team, when that was being tossed around months ago.
ProtonPack83, AMC78, alphabeta001 and 1 others liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]