Entertainment Weekly has released it's list of the Funniest Movies of the Last 25 Years. Topping the list at number one is everyone's favorite comedy: Ghostbusters.

"In the summer of 1984, the only pop-culture question more common than ''Where's the beef?'' was ''Who you gonna call?'' The dream trio of Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Harold Ramis was the epitome of sarcastic comedy cool, battling slimy ghosts, the nosy Environmental Protection Agency, and a giant Stay-Puft marshmallow man."
The concept of professionalism, scientific method and 'protonic reversal' all combine into the personification of Einstien's old quote; "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
I think they work because the're not violent amimal/human hybrids i.e. ninja turtles & thundercats;
You don't even want to know my clinical synopsis on He-Man. :sigh::blush::cool::whatever:
The Real Ghostbusters is even better than I remember since I got You Tube.
The whole Marx Bros. bit Murry, Ramis, Hudson & Aykoryd pull off worked then,works today and will work 100 years from now.
AWESOME!!! Congrats to Harold and Dan. :walterpeck:
Ralf Castleknifer wrote:OK,I worship Ghostbusters,The Real Ghostbusters and the toys,but what's so funny about it? I just don't get why it's classified as a comedy. Ghostbusters is a wonderful fantasy film in the vein of Never Ending Story, Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz , and to some extent horror like Evil Dead II that has a splash of humor,but no real gut-busting laughs,just a chuckle. Clifford, The Toy, Liar Liar, Major Payne...those are comedies. Then again,may be I just don't laugh out loud at Ghostbusters because I've seen it so many times,but not once have I ever watched it with the intention of laughing,but it always puts a big smile on my face.
I'm a big ghosthead, but I was thinking maybe a Monty Python movie or any other Murray movie as top comedy. Ghostbusters was a good adventure and made me laugh, but not as much as, say, Groundhogs Day. Then again, it could be some massive conspiracy by Sony to promote GB by paying off EW..
I think the story AJ posted says it all..
The dream trio of Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Harold Ramis was the epitome of sarcastic comedy cool
They were IT back then. I guess comedy is always changing. What people find funny then and now. You can notice it in all those movies, Stripes, Blues Brothers, Caddyshack and other movies back then without those guys. There is SO much funny stuff going on, I'm sure in a way we're all desensitized a bit to it. A lot of the comedy is subtle or underplayed or said in a really dry sarcastic way.. The very situation of the movie is very comical but yes we've all seen the movie way too many times, and thats...okay.

Ralf Castleknifer wrote:OK,I worship Ghostbusters,The Real Ghostbusters and the toys,but what's so funny about it? I just don't get why it's classified as a comedy. Ghostbusters is a wonderful fantasy film in the vein of Never Ending Story, Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz , and to some extent horror like Evil Dead II that has a splash of humor,but no real gut-busting laughs,just a chuckle. Clifford, The Toy, Liar Liar, Major Payne...those are comedies. Then again,may be I just don't laugh out loud at Ghostbusters because I've seen it so many times,but not once have I ever watched it with the intention of laughing,but it always puts a big smile on my face.

If you watch any comedy 500 times you wont laugh at it nearly as much.

Im sure I laughed a lot when I saw it 20 years ago... the only hint of that I got was when the DVD came out a few years back and I was able to see some of the deleted scenes.. even those were funny.
I love Groundhog Day etc (and to be honest most films with the principal gb cast in) but I still don't think they're as funny as ghostbusters. I watched it again yesterday for something like the 400th time and i still laugh my arse off and my 6 year old son did too. It's nice to see it get the recognition that i'm guessing most people on this site feel it deserves too. :cool:
Paulomac420 wrote:I love Groundhog Day etc (and to be honest most films with the principal gb cast in) but I still don't think they're as funny as ghostbusters. I watched it again yesterday for something like the 400th time and i still laugh my arse off and my 6 year old son did too. It's nice to see it get the recognition that i'm guessing most people on this site feel it deserves too. :cool:
ground hog day is also top on my list....never gets old - the montage's though out the film of him failing cracks me up everytime.

speaking of 25 years.... next year is the 25th anniversary of GB, a pretty huge milestone! i wonder if anything will be done to commemorate the film?
At it's core, it's a horror comedy, an archetype in the vein of Abbott and Costello, Bob Hope, and the Three Stooges.

Although for me the funniest comedy of all time is Animal House (but for EW, they'd need to do a 30 years one), I'd definitely put Ghostbusters up there in the Top 10...probably at #3 (right behind Police Academy)
Have we been watching the same movie all these years?

You can see our Paranormal Boots in action here: […]

I was one of those kids who was scared of his own […]

Ghostheads

Ghostheads is SO bad. So cringe. Not even in a g[…]

The opening post contain a lot information. Quick […]