The latest updates to the Ghostbusters Fans site.
By AJ Quick
After some feedback recieved today we decided to fully integrate a new search engine into the site. Now instead of default forum searches, the search engine uses Google to get more relavent search results. These changes will hopefully make it a lot easier to find what you are looking for and will return search results from the whole site, not just the forums!

Give it a try!

http://www.gbfans.com/search/

The old Forum Search engine can still be accessed via the Search link here: http://www.gbfans.com/community/search.php
By Borzou
I'll still ask people in chat about stuff instead of looking it up myself. Way easier.
By ProtonCharger
Filandrius wrote:
Borzou wrote:I'll still ask people in chat about stuff instead of looking it up myself. Way easier.
That's easy for you to say. For a newbie, that's pretty much suicide.

difficulty level: 0
By AJ Quick
I do think that the http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/ page does need to be updated to be more visually clear.

I do partially regret calling the section "Equipment" instead of "Props" but from the site's standpoint... Equipment does make more sense.
By TheRockman
Nice! I've used the integrated Google search on websites in the past and it does work really well. Just something of note is that Google must index pages on the site before that information is available in the search results. Therefore, if a new post is made on the site, the information in that post will be searchable only after Google has had a chance to crawl and index that page.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing though as Google is usually pretty quick to index new content but worth mentioning.
By Filandrius
ProtonCharger wrote:PC's post
That's not what I meant. Like, at all.
AJ Quick wrote:I do think that the http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/ page does need to be updated to be more visually clear.

I do partially regret calling the section "Equipment" instead of "Props" but from the site's standpoint... Equipment does make more sense.
I agree. While the whole wiki would benefit from a revision, "Equipment" makes more sense. Are we in-universe or not? ;)
By AJ Quick
TheRockman wrote:Nice! I've used the integrated Google search on websites in the past and it does work really well. Just something of note is that Google must index pages on the site before that information is available in the search results. Therefore, if a new post is made on the site, the information in that post will be searchable only after Google has had a chance to crawl and index that page.
This was the reason why the search wasn't the default from the beginning.

Since GBFans is now viewed as an important high ranking site to Google, it is constantly being crawled. In fact searching for this thread in the search box already shows it as a result. :cool:

There are still a few bugs to work out though.
Filandrius wrote:While the whole wiki would benefit from a revision, "Equipment" makes more sense. Are we in-universe or not? ;)
Any suggestions? The wiki is fully editable by all. with the exception for a few of main pages (such as /equipment/).
By Filandrius
First thing that comes to mind is that, compared to many other props (like the pack, or the trap) the thrower itself is sorely under-represented in the wiki. I mean the pack has a detailed page, with images and names for the parts and in-universe descriptions, etc... The thrower, which is pretty much as intricate a prop as the pack, has almost nothing. A page describing the different versions of the screen-used throwers, with links to all the greeblies, would be great. And if I'm not mistaken, the whole structure of pages would have to be created beforehand...
By ProtonCharger
AJ Quick wrote:I do partially regret calling the section "Equipment" instead of "Props" but from the site's standpoint... Equipment does make more sense.
"equipment" speaks for itself. i never understood how that was so difficult to find, because the props are their tools and equipment for busting ghosts.

maybe drop down menus showing what each section's contents might work. or, just make that particular image blink rapidly.
By TheRockman
AJ Quick wrote:Since GBFans is now viewed as an important high ranking site to Google, it is constantly being crawled.
I always knew we were special. :D

I figured that may have been the case so that's great! Good on ya!
By AJ Quick
Filandrius wrote:First thing that comes to mind is that, compared to many other props (like the pack, or the trap) the thrower itself is sorely under-represented in the wiki. I mean the pack has a detailed page, with images and names for the parts and in-universe descriptions, etc... The thrower, which is pretty much as intricate a prop as the pack, has almost nothing. A page describing the different versions of the screen-used throwers, with links to all the greeblies, would be great. And if I'm not mistaken, the whole structure of pages would have to be created beforehand...
I've always viewed the Proton Gun, as part of the whole Proton Pack assembly.

Would the gun be a sub category of Proton Pack?

I think what needs to happen is a whole guideline needs to be setup on where pages go and what pages are called. Perhaps we can start a topic in the "Page Discussions" forum where people discuss the format, and request new pages?
By Filandrius
Yeah, I agree. After all the gun isn't a separate prop, but it still deserve its own category. I like the sub section idea.

I also like the idea about the topic for the new pages. That's exactly what we need. :) That way everybody could chime in. I love this plan! (You know the rest ;))
By ProtonCharger
the new search engine is fantastic! i needed to get some ideas for some banjo screws, and easily/quickly found what i was looking for.
granted the one before wasnt so bad, but now there's really barely/no excuse for anyone to not find what they're looking for.

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]