By MandoMan
I'm going to join the few and proud owners of a Slime Blower! Just got a buttload of parts today from Harbor Freight/Home Depot/Hobby Lobby. Just starting now, but here's where I'm at.

Main tube is a 8" concrete tube from Home Depot:

While at HD, I found these 8" acrylic dome light covers:

They work almost perfectly for the tube, just need a little bondo to smooth the small ledge:

I'll be using 4" PVC for the side tanks, with toilet float balls for the domes, bondo'd over to smooth them out, thanks to Zack and his build for the idea!

Here's one of the handles, made from thin aluminum strip bent, with the pvc/wood dowl handle. It's actually 1.5" aluminum, so a little big, but I might get the right stuff and redo it:

Here are some cheap brass quick connects I got at Harbor Freight, HUGE thanks to ProtonCharger for suggesting them, they'll work great as a cheap alternative:

Here's the base for the big ball thing (technical term) that goes below the left tank. It's a big Christmas ornament I got in a 3-pack for 40% off at Hobby Lobby. Not the exact size, but it'll get the point across:

And goggle frames from Vince I just got in today! Nothing to do with a slime blower, but they are awesome!

Other things I didn't get pictures of include an LC-2 alice frame, a bunch of MDF for building the backing board and main tank support, as well as the discharge boxes, a couple hose clamps for the gun, and one of the project boxes.

More pictures of the start of the build will come soon!
By renny310
if your interested on putting lighting for the power cell i have a wire schematic for that somewhere just let me know plus i have some more stuff to make the actual slime thrower gun (sewer PVC, aluminum flashing) that ur welcome too.
By MandoMan
Yeah man, a schematic would be awesome. I definitely want some lights on it, I have pretty base knowledge of electronics but I'd gladly try to put some together.
By renny310
Let me see what I can dig up, the lights are not 100% screen accurate but very close.
By renny310

I also have the CD4017B if your having problems finding one.
By MandoMan
Me too. :lol: I've been slacking on it, but I've also been kinda hesitant about putting it together until I have a light kit for it, so I can figure out how to feed the wires through the tubes so they don't show.

I've got the gun currently in progress, not entirely accurate, but looks pretty good to me.

By DerGrundel
Looking really good so far! Those quick connects you picked up at Harbor Frieght, are they for 3/4" hose? I was just there and it didn't look like my local store even stocked them in that size, I only saw 1/4."
By ProtonCharger
DerGrundel wrote:Looking really good so far! Those quick connects you picked up at Harbor Frieght, are they for 3/4" hose? I was just there and it didn't look like my local store even stocked them in that size, I only saw 1/4."
not to hijack, they're not for the pnematic hose, they're for garden hose located wherever they would keep the garden tools. there's a couple sets in one pack and they're less than six bucks.
By renny310
What did you end up making the cone out of?
By MandoMan
The cone is from the end of an oversized plastic crayon bank from ToysRUs. It fits almost perfectly into 4" thin-walled pvc. I messed up the alignment on the holes just slightly (not noticeable in the picture), but it kinda adds to that "screen-used" wonky look.
By jessejames51
i check for the quick connects on harbour frieght but couldnt find them.........do you have a link or are they not sold there anymore......all i could find were smaller ones. thanks!
By DerGrundel
jessejames51 wrote:i check for the quick connects on harbour frieght but couldnt find them.........do you have a link or are they not sold there anymore......all i could find were smaller ones. thanks!
They're in the gardening section. I had the same problem because I was looking in the pneumatic connections section. Try gardening next time you're in Harbour Freight
By XxEctOxX
i know its an ornament, what material is what i was getting at.
By MandoMan
XxEctOxX wrote:i know its an ornament, what material is what i was getting at.
Not sure exactly what material it is, best I can say is a thin flexible plastic, it's not particularly heavy duty, but it should hold up fine for it's purpose in this.

And I can say that I'll be working on this some more soon, since Crix's new soundboard has made me more excited to get this done!
By MandoMan
Very small update!

I replaced the project box on the front of the gun with a larger one, looks better in my opinion. This isn't going to be the pinnacle of screen accuracy, just something fun to put together, with my own personal touches to it.

Also replaced the small green light I had on the side with a larger one, looks more heavy duty.

The concrete tube for the main tank is pissing me off, so I'm thinking of ordering a 3-foot section of 8" PVC (8 5/8" OD) so I don't have to mess around with smoothing the cardboard out. It'll cost more, but I think the sturdiness will be worth it. Can you tell how lazy I am yet? :lol:
By MandoMan
FunkPunkTwang wrote:dude do it up! I still wish I did that
Ah what the hell, just ordered the PVC tube. :cool: Hopefully I'll get it within the next few weeks. Might end up being a bit heavier than the cardboard, but it should be wicked sturdy.
By Tyrael
Mind providing where you got the PVC tube from? I'm getting rather frustrated with the flimsiness of the cardboard tube I got for my blower, as well. :-/
By MandoMan
UPDATE!

Just got the 8" PVC tube today! Overall I think it'll work great. It's definitely a bit hefty, but not as much as I thought it would be. It's thin-wall so that cuts down on weight, and it'll make it easier to rivet to the aluminum support plate. Also pictured are the 9" domes I got from Barnard Ltd. They're a little thin, so I'll be fiberglassing them, then I'll cut them down so they match the diameter of the PVC.

Oh, and they also included a copy of the United States Constitution with the PVC.

Can't forget the project boxes!

By Tyrael
Definitely looking forward to updates, Mando!

About how much would you say the main tank weighs, since you're using thinwall PVC?
By MandoMan
Oh, there should be updates soon! Now that I have the aluminum parts from irricanian, I can mount those on and figure out the side tank lengths.

I'd say the main tank will end up being about 8 or 9 pounds once I attach and bondo the domes on. I'm guessing the whole pack including the gun will probably end up weighing about as much as a fiberglass proton pack with aluminum parts (so around 30-35 pounds).
By Tyrael
Glad to hear it. I'm trying to build my blower to be light enough that the wife can wear it without complaining every couple steps, so 8-9 lbs for the main tank sounds great.
BTW, what part of DM are you from? I lived in WDM for about a year after graduating from ISU.
Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

I love that people are still making these packs. I[…]

For the legacy shell, what aspects are damage that[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]