This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
Hey all!

I mentioned that my headband sculpted Ecto Goggles was signed by Ernie so I am trying to come up with some new stuff so that I don't ruin them. This is my newest project, hopefully I'll have them attached and put pics up tonight!!

...but first here is a pic of me as a douche-buster I just found from New York Comicon 2013

ok on to the work...

Initial Sculpt- super sculpty and tin foil to make the weight lighter.

img]http://www.megatoothpastemammals.com/joy/t5.jpg[/img]

Next to a Matty trap for scale...

on the painting phase!! Next I have to put them on the combs I have and add a few other secret touches :3

Thoughts, critique, suggestions and comments welcome! :eyeroll:

Last edited by TheAmazingJoy on August 25th, 2014, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it's done!!!!

Here are some shots of me testing it out, the sculptures are attached to two separate combs connected by a few chains for a more girly effect so they can be re-positioned depending on hair style and other nerdy things... <3

And here are my goggles which are probably mostly retired now that they are signed...

and my own PKE i got for Christmas, my grandmother thought it was loads of fun to play with :eyeroll:

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? I have a few more accessory ideas floating around my nerd brain....
Vee, KoCo, Carpeteria and 3 others liked this
I've done a lot of action figure customizations with Super-Sculpey, so I'm familiar with its properties.

Did you bake it or boil it to cure? The baking method always stinks up the oven, I find, so I switched to boiling.

I've always found thin pieces prone to crumbling after they've been cured, so I'm worried about the handle on the trap and the wires on the pedal...

But aside from that minor qualm, very cool project. Unique, original, inventive, and personal.

Alex
@Wharin: Yea- honestly I think the goggles are going to be my favorite hair creation, the trap was an idea so that I don't run the risk of ruing them but it's not as cool imo. The trap is actually about 3/4 the size of the goggles, do you mean it's too big on my head or do you mean the two pieces are not in good scale with each other? I love your idea for PKE earrings, I have a few other earring ideas too so I can't wait to work on those.

@Alex: I bake it, I wasn't aware until now you could boil it, thanks for the tip!! I'm worried about crumbling too, but there is foil in the wires and a tiny wooden dowel in the handle so hopefully that helps it last a bit, I only pull them out for cons so we will see... Thanks so much for the tips!!!
mburkit liked this
Good thinking on the foil inside the wires and dowel inside the handle.

Yes, the boiling method was told to me by a guy who used Sculpey to add details to custom action figures. He would originally sculpt onto them and bake the entire figure to harden the added details.

One day he put them in the oven and noticed the cat had cut its paw, went to doctor his kitty, and forgot about the vintage Star Wars figures in the oven.

Came back to a puddle of melted Kenner plastic. After that, he always boiled, which has LESS chance of damaging the action figures, though I myself have over-boiled a few Muppet figures and warped their plastic.

Alex
Never heard of boiling Sculpey, Alex - that's an interesting method. I'd be afraid of it loosening up or disconnecting joints/connections between pieces of the clay or warping it. I know boil & pop is a common method for figure customizing, but I never thought of it as a way to cure polymer clay. I'll have to give it a try sometime.
mburkit liked this
TheAmazingJoy wrote:Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? I have a few more accessory ideas floating around my nerd brain.... [/color]
Hey TAJ!

Very nice job on the sculpts, they are Amazing! I see you have an excellent eye for details and I know you could do some really Super Amazing work if you just do two things. First is buy some Nitril Gloves to wear while you work, they will eliminate all the fingerprints from your sculpts.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... ril+gloves

The second would be ditch the Sculpey and use an air dry putty instead. You sculpts will look less "doughy" ( You really have to work at Sculpey to make it flat and give it a nice sharp edge), you can use wood, plastic or wire for an armature and best of all no need to Bake or Boil.

http://www.milliput.com/about.htm

or

http://www.avesstudio.com/

or better yet

http://www.smooth-on.com/Epoxy-Putty/c1390/index.html

Free Form® SCULPT Epoxy Putty and Free Form Detailer® Spray

There are even more choices out there, but I've used or seen the results from these three and they beat Scupey hands down.
mburkit, Ecto-1 fan liked this
@Wharin: Yea, good call on the toddler comment, I plan to use it mostly in up-do's, I've got some smaller sculpts in the works that might be more kid friendly, I'm just fussing over details.... the trap was easier to crank out... Thanks!!

@Alex: Thanks again for the tips man, I'll have to try the boiling on a few of my smaller sculpts asap!

@Carpeteria: <3

@ CaptnCyan: OMG Thanks so much for the tips!!!! I saw this message after I did the earrings posted below but I'd love to try some of your suggestions, in the past I've used vasaline to smooth out the fingerprints and sculpts and funky edges but we didn't have any handy and I was anxious to see how the new headpiece looked.

Ok, so I just baked a few earrings, PKE idea from Wharin, can't wait to paint them...

I really have to say that is quite creative. I would have never thought of this. LOL. But I am not a girly girl. :) Good job!
Bump for ideas!!! If you guys get inspired I would love to see your work or ideas for me to try! I'm working on a "Joan from Mad Men" style necklace with a thrower...and some mini pack hair clips- hopefully will have them to show off at dragoncon- can't wait to actually meet people!
Howdy guys! Mid-Dragoncon prep we found time to attempt Jay's idea! I think they are super cute and fun, wish the paint turned out a bit better but my brush was coming apart and we are leaving tomorrow... :(

Sculpted (thanks Captain Cyan for the glove idea!! Worked amazingly!)

Baked....a little crispy ;)

Wanted to do studs but we made the heads a bit too big so they sort of hung down and looked sad, staring at the ground...so we had to try dangles ...

More nerd jewelry for my collection!!!
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

Is anybody making Slime Blowers that would fit the[…]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances don[…]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when […]

I just couldn't help myself and had to add texture[…]