This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By jackdoud
Ok, so technically it's not the correct metal detector or the right potato masher but I figure since most people don't even know this thing exists who's gonna care. :whatever:

Surprisingly the hardest parts to find were the utensils. After weeks of scouring my local flea markets and thrift stores I wound up swapping my mom a new strainer for her old one and finding a "close enough" masher at Target. The metal detector was an Ebay find, it was going for $10 as it was "broken". The only problem with it was corroded battery contacts and after cleaning them up it worked fine until I ripped the whole thing apart. :blush:

I've posted a full build up on my website here: http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/jdoud/kudmeter.html. It's got the blinky light, the needle moves and it will buzz when I push the red button so I can sweep people. :vinzclortho: I want to figure out a shoulder strap as having to hold it all the time will get to be a pain and I wouldn't trust hanging it on my belt. With 6 AA batteries and stainless steel utensils it's not exactly light. C&C welcome. :cool:
By jettajeffro
I was just talking about building one of these yesterday. I used to have the correct model of detector and just like you mentioned, the batteries had corroded inside. It must have been a very common occurance.
By ChapterMasterTu'Shan
Pretty damn cool Jack. It's refreshing to see something other than another pack build, imho. Hope to see this at PKE Surge 2010!
By gamera1968
That sir is very cool!

Too bad most folks unlike us would even know what it is :)

But yeah, nice job!
By hawaiiangb
just noticed that it had a blinking red light. gotta go and find me some utensils from the good will dump bin. Hope my tetanus shots are up to date. Picked up a detector at the flea market today.
By Rune31
Not that I'm down playing your craftsmanship, which clearly shows, this is seems like the one meter that most fans can build without as much difficultly since its just a detector, two metal utensils and a little customizing. Other meters have much more involvement i.e. the Giga Meter. Excellent work, Winston would be proud!
By jackdoud
Rune31 wrote: this is seems like the one meter that most fans can build without as much difficultly since its just a detector, two metal utensils and a little customizing.
You'd be surprised actually. It does depend on how much "functionality" you want. You could just rivit the utensils onto the detector case and be done with it but maintaining the sound, working meter bar, adding the blinking light and fitting it all into the body isn't as easy as it looks. :whatever:
By Cyland Props
Rune31 wrote:Not that I'm down playing your craftsmanship, which clearly shows, this is seems like the one meter that most fans can build without as much difficultly since its just a detector, two metal utensils and a little customizing. Other meters have much more involvement i.e. the Giga Meter. Excellent work, Winston would be proud!
In my build with the correct metal Detector I relocated the coils to inside the main body and hooked them up. When you flip it on the blinking led causes the meter to twitch and you get feedback out of the speaker. Works quite well
By Rune31
This surge of intrest in the KUD meter has made it one of my favorites next to the Giga and PKE. Seems like the one prop that was used as GB-scanning equipment that didn't have any retrofitting for the screen was the Gluboscope panoramic camera Ray used.
By jackdoud
Rune31 wrote:Seems like the one prop that was used as GB-scanning equipment that didn't have any retrofitting for the screen was the Gluboscope panoramic camera Ray used.
And the Radiac radiation detector, and the Radio Shack sound level meter, and the Dr. Gauss EMF detector, and whatever that meter is on the table next to the containment unit that no one ever talks about...
By Cyland Props
jackdoud wrote:
Rune31 wrote:Seems like the one prop that was used as GB-scanning equipment that didn't have any retrofitting for the screen was the Gluboscope panoramic camera Ray used.
And the Radiac radiation detector, and the Radio Shack sound level meter, and the Dr. Gauss EMF detector, and whatever that meter is on the table next to the containment unit that no one ever talks about...
Dr Gauss?
By jackdoud
Cyland Props wrote:Dr Gauss?
Egon's doohicky at the start of GB2:

Not entirely sure what it is but a Dr Gauss "Gauss Master" EMF detector has a close shape.

It's missing some lights and switches and the sensor screen on top though so it's not totally accurate. Possibly an older/higher end version or a different meter from the same company?
By Rune31
Reading into this I know, but what purpose would an EMF meter have in an emotion experiment such as the one Egon was conducting? By all accounts wouldn't the Giga Meter be the device of choice since the mood slime has psychokinetic-emotional based properties? Try saying those words really fast!
By Cyland Props
Here's one I own:

This was a pretty easy to find piece since it's still in inventory at MP. It's a Monitor 4 a radiation detector like the grey meter from the first movie.
By paulw
I'm triing to scratch build a kud meter for halloween. I'm building it out of wood for the component part of the metal detector. I've eye balled it from pictures but the length seemes off. It just seems too long. If anyone has one could you provide me with the length, height, and width of the body minus the handle. I've done the angles but just need some comparisions.
By paulw
Thanks,

I thought I was off the mark on the length. The picture I viewed showed the handle was at the end of the body not in the middle. My measurement were made from a comparison of my potato masher to the one in the picture. Off to the saw:

My measurements were

Length: 12.5 inches
Width : 4 inches
Height : 4.5 inches.

Height and length should be corrected when I shorten the box and I'll need to shave 1'16 of an inch off the sides.
By paulw
I assembled the kud body in 4 parts. If anyone wishes to make one out of wood...be careful and mindful of where you place your screws. I thought a simple hole in the front to place the metal pipe revealed a not thought about screw removeable and a big mess to repair. I guess a little more planning would have been needed but the hole was needed to secure the pipe with a screw and back wood puddy. I almost ruined my build but I saved it. I used stickers for the front face plate and I may glue on some plexi-glass for the screen.
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]