This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By Alan Hawkins
So I have been working on this for a few days now and decided to share in the forums. Well, me and my friends got our uniforms and packs together and had a great time during Halloween but now we are starting to plan for C2E2 in April. Which is great by me since I am having such a blast building this stuff. The downside is I promised my wife a break from having a house FULL of pink Polystyrene and my three buddies working on her dining room table every weekend at least until February. So in that down time I decided to tinker around and see what kind of Belt Gizmo I could come up with from the stuff I had laying around.

I printed off Jairus's pdf that I found in the forum (I don't know you pal, but I owe you a beer..)

http://www.jairuswhitley.com/files/beltcircuit.pdf

Taking a "Beware of Pekingese" sign that only I found funny I cut out the general shape. I had to sandwich two together to get the strength I thought I would need.

After gluing them together I painted them a dark green to get that circuit board look

I had a a few sheets of gold labels laying around from our wedding invites and used those to make the board connectors shine and also to simulate the copper threads (since I did not have that item and honestly just did not feel like stripping a bunch of my wire, drilling and then threading the whole deal.)

Made my shelf out of art board (Forgive the dog, she thinks I have food.)

Also used art board for my chips and added some scrounged parts from some junk electronics we had laying around.

Painted the shelf and added more salvaged parts under that and Mod-Podged the whole deal.

Then I got the point that I needed Ceramic Capacitors. I figured I would just hop down to Radio Shack and pick up a few bags for a couple of bucks... NOPE! just two of the little doodads runs $2.50 which would mean the price of the board would go from almost nothing to $10! So I decided to see if I could create a suitable replacement. I squeezed some hot glue onto a page and what-da-know? Capacitor shaped disc's! (You can see where I tried to just lay down a few, let them cool and then lay more on top of that... Yeah, that failed.) Then I mixed some red paint with some tan pain to get the right color.

A pie tin that the wife had in the pantry made a good base and then some black paint to cover that.

Today I start on my Nixie tubes. I'm playing around with the hose that I got for my uniform. My first try is too short

So more tinkering to get that right. More pictures later. Thanks for looking!
So I nixed my Nixie plan and went back to the $1.99 bag of mechanical pencils I found at the store and made the Nixies in no time flat. (Sometimes I am my own worst enemy.)

Also whipped up a error unit (I don't know what you guys actually call that.

And after some drilling, then re-drilling and then getting a bigger drill bit and re-drilling all of those holes... I ended up with this.

Total cost involved for this part was under $5 and a ton of stuff I had laying around. Sunday I start on my daughter board.
So today was spent building my daughter board, I like the ones that some of the members have made that connect to the leg hoes so I decided to go that route. I found at Home Depot a little PVC elbow that had a quick disconnect fitting in it for $3.

You have to sand the base of the fitting to make it fit and swivel.

Painted it green and added the second sticker that came on the pdf page.

Dollar Store belt clip from a tape measure.

I had an old circuit board sitting around and made a Sanyo chip to tie things together a bit.

Also I felt that my gizmo was missing something. The little black flap that goes on the bottom right of the gizmo. Some wire and a few good squeezes from the glue gun later.

Added a connection and curly cable from a car charge that we do not use.

Painted the fitting gold.

And the daughter board is ready.

Next up, dying the leg hose and figuring out my hose connector.
Boy, I'm so impressed by the dedication you put in creating those props...more so, the GB belt gizmo... nothing to say when they find out you built them yourself, from scratch... not this "online bought" stuff!

"Made from scratch"... I do that too... but I'm at times, short on the discliple! So, this just might get me goin' again... thanks! :)
TheRockman wrote:Dang buddy, that is snazzy! You've inspired me to redo my El Cheapo.
Actually, your build thread was the first one I saw that had a scratch build. Defiantly a "AH-HA!" moment!

My buddy dyed my holster for me and got it back to me today. $5 and I think it looks pretty good!

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I love it when we get to see a GB build such as this! Brings it to total light! Helps to know someone got it and is not only dedicated in his builds, but to make FIVE more for his crew! Good work! :cool:

Kinda wished had someone like you on this "side"... if you don't mind the tropical weather, sand an' surf, and greeting everyone by saying "Aloha"!:)

And again, bless your lili' doggie... sorry... don't mind me... I have a soft spot for faithful friends... small, furry ones especially! :blush:
odiemodie wrote: if you don't mind the tropical weather, sand an' surf, and greeting everyone by saying "Aloha"!:)
The wife and I honeymooned in Kauai and had a blast! I would go back in a heartbeat! There is a improv fest out there I want to do one day also.

odiemodie wrote:And again, bless your lili' doggie... sorry... don't mind me... I have a soft spot for faithful friends... small, furry ones especially! :blush:
She's a good little pooper...

Now I have to make the leg hose. I got 10 feet of 1/2" hose from Home Depot for $5 and some RIT dye.

I cut some test lengths to try differing times in the dye.

A good idea

I made a mix of a 1/4" of salt, hot tap water and a tea pot of boiling water. In this I poured 4 cap fulls of yellow dye.

Then added my test strips and set a timer. You can see the results here -

Here is a fact that you would hate to learn as you are dying the only hose you have... A long lenght of hose FLOATS! Waddafriggingknow????? The next batch I do I will cut them to length and make sure all the air is out of the hose AND its in the sink BEFORE I add the boiling water and dye. Instead I had to stand there and keep pushing it down with my hands.

Overall though I am happy for my first try.

More later.

Maximum cool! You and the missess look like locals living there (no joke), not tourists!:-D

Hey... is that the touch carrier that woosh'd on by Sec of State Clinton on the national news? JJK! :-P

I do believe you maybe the first GB out of state to grace our sister island of Kauai... Maikahi! ( that's Hawai'ian for "Good"!) :) Yes... there are spooks over there too, but they have been behaving so far... no other island calls for us yet! :wink:

And your doggie is very cute! Too bad can't have any pets here in the apartments...no dogs or cats! :(

Thanks again for your your awesome pics on your build...Mahalo and Aloha, brother! :-D

*notice new builds posted* Weee! More Pics!:-D

Wow... you work on your equipment like a man possessed! (pun intended) :wink:
Agreed. For you, you're in the zone!

Sometimes, when I'm on a deadline squeeze play, I pop up on the ol' CD player (yes... CD), and tune it to Bobby Brown's "On our own", and just jam it as I work on my GB builds... *imitating Venkman's "New York shuffle" and Egon's "Double thumb hitchhiking" moves...* now I gotta do that when I work on my belt gizmo! :mrgreen:
odiemodie wrote:Agreed. For you, you're in the zone!

Sometimes, when I'm on a deadline squeeze play, I pop up on the ol' CD player (yes... CD), and tune it to Bobby Brown's "On our own", and just jam it as I work on my GB builds... *imitating Venkman's "New York shuffle" and Egon's "Double thumb hitchhiking" moves...* now I gotta do that when I work on my belt gizmo! :mrgreen:
Post some pics! I just picked up a Craig calculator that has tubes in it. Going to do my next build on that. After that one of our crew wants a gizmo that lights up. So I have a feeling none of these are going to be the same. Which blows my assembly line idea of building these out of the water... Oh well!
    Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]