This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
Hey Guys,
Does anyone know what type of easel is in the muesum holding the Vigo portrait in the restoration room? I've been trying to find one that looks like it, or even plans on how to build it with no luck. I have a 4'X7" Vigo Portrait that we will be using at cons and events and would like to display it properly.
Thanks!
It's a frame, not an easel.

Basically you have a wooden frame the painting is "stretched" over and tacked into place with brass furniture tacks.

I recommend building an "X" cross beam in your frame for stability purpose.
Mr.Spider wrote:It's a frame, not an easel.

Basically you have a wooden frame the painting is "stretched" over and tacked into place with brass furniture tacks.
Not to confuse things, but you're describing how to construct an artist's canvas, which cowbybill will need to replicate too (in some fashion... at the very least he'll need something to keep the print flat and rigid). There is, however, also an easel (the wooden devise on caster wheels that's holding the painting upright).
Here are youtube videos on how to make a canvas frame. This is the same method I learned in art school back in '78.

If you just have a paper print, just adapt the real deal to what you have... maybe mount it onto a similar material so the edges make it look like its actually done on canvas?

You could even color the edges so it looks like the painting colors were brushed onto the edges of the canvas, and use clear gel medium to simulate brush stroke thickness on the print itself. (Just make sure your print is sealed properly first, so you don't get color bleed.)
Last edited by mburkit on February 11th, 2012, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed youtube links.
Thanks Guys,
the Canvas frame is no problem it's the easel with the casters that's the problem. Garee thanks for the links they were quite useful. I'm having to alter the canvas frame a little, I need it to be alble to come apart to transport it.
The protrait itslef is on banner material so I have grommets to hold it to the the frame and I'm thinking of using wing nuts and bolts to attach it.
the frame itself has to be able to be broken down as well so I'm looking into a way to use bolts and nuts for the frame.
I need to be sure the bolts aren't making "dents" in the portriat when assembled to.
I'll post some pictures when I figure this all out if you'd like.
Thanks agian for all your help :)
Ahh. that is my mistake then, but yes, great links Garee. I look forward to the finished product Cowby..... now if only we could download the vigo quotes online and hook them up to an amp and a motion sensor......... lol
Winter has all of them in mp3 format, I think. He must have gotten them somewhere.
Mr.Spider wrote:Ahh. that is my mistake then, but yes, great links Garee. I look forward to the finished product Cowby..... now if only we could download the vigo quotes online and hook them up to an amp and a motion sensor......... lol
That got me think of utilizing some tricks from my haunt building days, If you could figure out a way to do a rear projection of the portrait that would be bright enough and get the clips of the Painting talking or even when it fades into just his head.
Put that on a randomizer with an event control timer and an IR sensor to trip it. When folks walk by Vigo would actually do something.
but the cost of this set up might be a little pricey due to the cost of a projector that would be bright enough in daylight or bright enough in a convention hall.
It's got me intrigued once Wondercon and Big Wow Comic fest is over I may start messing around with this. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy a projector so I can play my Xbox on a bigger screen!
Thanks for the inspiration :)
you could always place red LED's behind his eyes, and when the sensor goes off, a sound clip plays and his eyes light up
here's what I have so far, The Picture needs to be tighter on the frame and centered (I got a nasty Migraine half way through and had to stop) a little but I think with a few minor tweaks it'll look alright.
I found and easel at Arron brothers yesterday and with their coupon it only cost 20.00. The Frame is held together with bolts and wing nuts so it can be dissembled for transport. Also in the back is hook and eyelet to keep the picture on the easel. Once the minor tweaks are ironed out I think it'll be pretty cool at our con tables.
here's the frame:

and here's the picture so far:

I've ordered one of these for a friend to use off […]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last m[…]

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]