This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By PssdffJay
There are lots of props I would like to build, but I saw this and figured I would give it a go. The parts are pretty easy to find on the evil bay, or maybe you're lucky enough to find them in stores or a garage sale. If you don't know what a KUD meter is, get out from the rock you live under and watch a little film I like to call, Ghostbusters 2. Or follow this link: http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/other/kud-meter/

A few days ago my Micronta 3001 arrived, from England no less. My potato masher and strainer had already arrived a week before. A shot of all the parts. I figured I would go with a 9 volt battery, but halfway through, I looked at Alex's build (http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =7&t=31568) because I remembered he somehow got the dials off, and then I remembered what he did for the battery. Never did figure out how to get the dials off, but I worked around it, you'll see later on.

First thing was to test if it worked, the listing said it didn't but I wanted to test anyway. It didn't. Thats ok, I was about to take it apart anyway.

Snipped the wires for the cable that connects to the round thingamajig. (No idea what its called.)

Then I snipped off the wires to the battery holder, at this point in my mind, I was still thinking 9 volt and how to cut a spot out to get it to fit.

I started to jump around after that. I couldn't figure out how to get the dials off, and after looking at Alex's build, my mind started to debate trying the AA method or stick with the 9 volt original plan. While I waited to hopefully hear about the dials, I marked out where to drill for the switch.

Then I decided to do Alex's AA method. This little space was too little. It needed to be bigger.

Hack job later... voila! She fits! A dap of super glue and the metal contact stays where I want it.

Now the problem with only having 2 batteries instead of 6, is that the batteries don't stay where they are supposed to. I debated on making a dam out of Apoxie Sculpt, but I would have to wait 24 hours to let it set, or just taking a scrap piece of plastic and gluing it in, but that would look ugly. Then I remembered I had a bunch of popsicle sticks I bought for when I was attaching my N filter. I cut one down and did a dry fit and it is super tight! But I didn't like the wood colour, so I coloured it with a Sharpie, and then super glued it in.

TrekDad1 liked this
By PssdffJay
Still no answer back on the dials yet, seriously, what could Alex be doing that is more important than answering a question on a build that he completed over a year ago?! ;)

So instead, I drilled out the hole on the front and right through the board on the back.

Then I had to drill out the hole on the board to fit the switch and it was still to small, so I drilled a whole bunch of smaller holes. I COULD have used my dremel, but it was on the other side of the table, and I could't reach it with out having to stand and lean over. That was way to far.

Anyway, got the switch in.

I had mocked up what the wiring was going to be before hand to make sure I had everything right. I tinned my positive wires and soldered them to the switch.

Then I used some heat shrink just because. Thought I would get a little fancy with this photo. You can see what I was watching in the background.

This is where I left it. I need to go and get a smaller resistor now that I'm using 2 AA batteries instead of the 9 volt. The 390 ohm resistor is way to big and really dims the LED, I only need 56 ohms.
By Alex Newborn
Looking good!

Sorry I didn't see your question in the other thread sooner.

I like that popsicle-stick 'dam' idea. I just noticed my KUD wouldn't light up, and when I slid open the battery compartment, one of the AA's had moved slightly to one side, breaking contact.

Alex
By PssdffJay
Thanks Alex! I noticed it shift when I was testing the battery fit and figured it could be a problem. I also have a crazy idea with the space left over. Now that it is confirmed that the knobs just pull off, I may attempt my other idea.
By PssdffJay
I did finish this prop. Just never got around to updating. I have a 3 hour drive so I might as well do that now. (I'm not the one driving, I'm not that dumb!)

I first had to cut off the handles.

Then drilling a hole, off center... Alex was right, that's not the easiest material to drill though an even with a center punch, and starting small, my bit walked. Oh well.

I decided to use one of these little holders.

By PssdffJay
I have seen people do both methods for the masher. Mount outside or cut a slot and mount inside. I decided to go with the second method. First I marked and drilled out 2 holes.

A dremel and some filing later and I have a slot.

By PssdffJay
I then needed to figure out the length of the lower tube.

Then I had to figure out how to attach the strainer. This was pre GB2 bluray, so based on the screen caps I could find, it looked like the tube went a little further than the strainer. So I cut a notch out and stuck the strainer in.

Then I shoved a bunch of Apoxie sculpt in the end and sanded it smooth.

By PssdffJay
Then to finish off the electronics. Drilled a hole.

I didn't have any black heat shrink and I was trying to finish it that day to take it to a GB screening so I took red and coloured it with a sharpie. It looks better in real life.

The I hooked it up to the battery terminals.

Put it back together.

By PssdffJay
All finished!

A note: don't put your heat gun too close... It got a little melty...

Unfortunately the only phot that wasn't blurry from that day was this one. I do smile, sometimes.

Nothing groundbreaking in this build, just more for documentation.
By Alex Newborn
Cool. Glad to have inspired you. Great idea on the notch. I wish I'd thought of that.

A friend on Facebook just scored a vintage potato masher that looks to be the exact one they used for the film prop.

If I can find one like his, I plan to revisit my KUD.

Alex
By robandliv
Anyone know were I can get this potato masher? I looked threw 40 pages on amazon and ebay with no luck. I also been looking for months and checked all the box stores, such as walmart, target, jcpenny, etc that I could think. I even tried the dollar store, Ross and TJmax. Anyone got any ideas online? I also checked goodwill.

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]