This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By Demon Vice Commander
I recently acquired a Micronta 3001 metal detector with plans to turn it into the under-appreciated KUD Meter. As soon as it arrived I took it apart, fiddled with the electronics, shortened the shaft a bit, and had to replace the badly stripped screws on the underside of the body.

At first, the utensils seemed a bit tricky to find. Alex Newborn was kind enough to share an eBay link for the proper strainer ladle, which left only the masher to find. Unfortunately the Kitchen Ware potato masher that other builders have been using didn't seem readily available, so I would have to find some other option...

As fun as it would be to claim that I searched long and hard for the accurate potato masher, I must confess that my stumbling upon it on eBay was a complete fluke.

This vintage (late 70s or early 80s) potato masher, manufactured by Regent, appears to be a very close to what was used on-screen. While we'll probably never know for certain the exact brand of masher mounted on the screen-used prop, this is for all intents and purposes perfect.

I took the liberty of extensively documenting this particular piece before I tore it apart, should it happen to be THE masher.

I must say that I'm not looking forward to cutting, drilling, and bending stainless steel... :sigh:

Alex Newborn liked this
By PssdffJay
My kitchen ware one wasn't fun, can't imagine a solid built masher will be any easier!

It is under appreciated isn't it? It should be on everyone's build list, it's a pretty easy build relative to other things we make.

Looking forward to how you tackle yours.
By Alex Newborn
So jelly of that potato masher.

Interesting thing I noticed while searching for one just like yours... that very item failed to sell at least 13 times, and the seller just kept relisting it until you bought it.

Alex
By Demon Vice Commander
Alex Newborn wrote:Interesting thing I noticed while searching for one just like yours... that very item failed to sell at least 13 times, and the seller just kept relisting it until you bought it.
The seller has no idea what this old potato masher is destined to become, as it was probably just a forgotten utensil taking up valuable space in a drawer.

Then again, we are pretty silly to be fanboying over a potato masher of all things. ;)
By Eightcell
Would you mind posting photos of the Miconta along with your ruler or creating a diagram with accurate measurements? I'm sure it's getting harder to find them, and it would be awesome to have good measurements out there for the community to build their own in the future.
By Alex Newborn
Question... what shells were you casting?

In other news, after you pointed me to that better potato masher, I am seriously contemplating an overhaul, though I am willing to entertain the idea of just doing a second KUD from scratch.

Alex
I almost forgot about this thread! The KUD Meter was one of those neglected in-progress projects collecting dust in my workshop, so I finally finished it a few months ago (I still need to add the blinking LED). Despite being such an obscure prop, the KUD has gotten a lot of laughs at conventions due to its ridiculous design and obvious kitchen utensil heritage.

Demon Vice Commander wrote:I almost forgot about this thread! The KUD Meter was one of those neglected in-progress projects collecting dust in my workshop, so I finally finished it a few months ago (I still need to add the blinking LED). Despite being such an obscure prop, the KUD has gotten a lot of laughs at conventions due to its ridiculous design and obvious kitchen utensil heritage.

Very well done! They can laugh all they want but this finely crafted gadget is the only fabricated device unique and exclusive to Winston (I believe, but could be wrong), Egon has a lot distinct to him , as does Ray, Peter only has 2 Beckman model G, and Kettle Bell...also the camera from the museum (which I don't really count as it is just a camera) but Mr. Zeddemore just gets this little gem.. I mean unless you want to get into Hard hat differences or count the depth finder. I too have had all these parts sitting on the "to be finished" shelf in my shop, I bought them long ago because Ernie was coming to a nearby convention, when he cancelled I shelved it and then some one else in my group made one so it wasn't as a enticing but now I may have to follow suit and finish it .

Good work!

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]