This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By Ramjet
Does anyone hae a collection of photographs of the firestation used for the external shots in the GB movies?

I was going to do a 3D model and blueprint of rough dimensions for the site.

while there appears to be an abundance of other material, there is very little on the firehouse. I ove the external features of that building.
By Ramjet
I'd love to see what we can glean from our keen eyed members - some who have been to NY and have taken photos and possibly measurements - even if it's just pacing out the width and length :)

I've been pacing our local bridge with the idea of drawing it up or bulding a scale model for show in the community.
By Krenzy
Just a suggestion, but maybe you can call the New York City city hall and ask them if you're able to get any info about the Hook and Ladder 8 building. I know some city halls/hall of records will give out some info on buildings.
SPJ liked this
By Ramjet
That's a great idea Krenzy,

I just found Kingpin did a photo expo on the ladder 8 fireshouse elsewhere in these forums - it should be enough to get me well and truly started.

I will contact NYC Hall to see what else we can get - though in these days of alleged terrorism, it may get me a visit from authorities thinking I really want to store paranormal entities.
SPJ liked this
By Cornelius
As far as I know there's this thread over on Proptopia with lots of links to references/photos/etc, not just from Ghostbusters, but also relating to other films/series that feature both the NY firehouse exterior and/or the firehouse interior... Have a look over there, I'd say....
By Ramjet
Thank you Cornelius, I'll do that.
By OAOSwartz
AJ - Just a thought but since this is THE ghostbuster fan site to end all don't you think the FH would work with you and maybe send you info and pics for the site?

I mean we all want to be there and visit and stuff but maybe they could send some stuff for a page dedicated to them and the hall. Maybe they do like a "MTV Cribs" type video for us to feature on here where they take us on a tour and give us what storied they could on them, the hall and the happenings from the movie.

IDK, just a suggestion.
By Kingpin
Cornelius wrote:As far as I know there's this thread over on Proptopia with lots of links to references/photos/etc, not just from Ghostbusters, but also relating to other films/series that feature both the NY firehouse exterior and/or the firehouse interior... Have a look over there, I'd say....
I think there was a small collection of New York exterior photos, but the bigger bulk of content from that topic is actually of the Los Angeles interior.

Ramjet, you might want to check out a program called The Secrets of New York, which had a feature on the station. It wasn't much, but it'll probably be of use to you.
SPJ liked this
By Ramjet
Kingpin, your images have been a great help.

I've done some reckoning on the firestation and came up with a measurement of about 27' x 75'

Which enabled me to do this drawing tonight. I'll do more through the week.

Thanks again.
SPJ liked this
By Kingpin
Is that Autocad I see? :-)

You've suddenly got me all excited about the recreation of the New York exterior.

A few years back, I built a replica of the station in 3D Studio Max for an animation project (as it happens, it didn't use any precise measurement and so isn't something to work from here). Depending on things, I might be able to get you an even better basis for scale, I have a photo with my Mum stood next to the station, so if I can get her height you can use that to possibly work out more of the scale.

What's the program that let you put that mesh up against the front of the station?

Glad to hear the photos have been help thus far. :-) If I haven't already said it, you can find a great collection of H&L8 photos on Flickr.
By Ramjet
Thanks again Kingpin, and your offer to go to Town Planning is above and beyond, Echtochromatic!

Yes, it's CAD, and I used Photoshop CS3 to generate the Mesh with a tool called Vanishing Point..

Out and about all day today, so it may be a day or two before I post any more progress.

I also emailed the Commissioner FDNY for information on who in that department may be able to help - I offered to present the FDNY with one of the two scale models I intend to bild from the diagrams they provide, if any.

It can't help to be generous when you're asking them to go to some effort for you.

Cheers.
By Marty120704
I also use a 3D program. I'll take a shot at it too to see how it comes out. If I can I'll try to do the inside as well. It will be hard to try to fit the interior inside of the NY firehouse but it alot of fun trying.
By Kingpin
Marty120704 wrote:I also use a 3D program. I'll take a shot at it too to see how it comes out. If I can I'll try to do the inside as well. It will be hard to try to fit the interior inside of the NY firehouse but it alot of fun trying.
Heh, working out the Los Angeles station's interior has been a pet project of mine for the past four years. It's come a long way since the originalfloorplansI created, but it's still about 95% complete, give or take (I'll post the plans thus far later).

I've even started making a 3D model of the interior, like you, but have had to put it on hold for university work.
By Ramjet
Ectochromatic Plössl wrote:Plans are available from the NYCDOB but obtaining them is a non-trivial event (see Brazil, the Movie). I'll try again tomorrow.
You're a champion! PM me with any costs you so I can reimburse you for the plans and your time.
By Marty120704
Here is mine so far, Still needs a lot of work, but figured I'd post what I have done in one day. should have it finished by the end of the week. Let me know what you guys think.

By Ramjet
Marty120704 wrote:Here is mine so far, Still needs a lot of work, but figured I'd post what I have done in one day. should have it finished by the end of the week. Let me know what you guys think.
Great work Marty. Is that a Sketchup file?

I've added some detail to my model. With the 600mm / 24" blocks at the sides of the front windows, the dimensions "feel" about right.

By Marty120704
Yeah I'm using Sketch Up. Love the program. I've gotta do some adjustments to the actual height of the building and the windows, I don't like the way the look right now. Will give you an update hopefully later on tomorrow. Yours looks great, Keep up the good work!
By Ramjet
Here is the latest update. Still work to do with the front windows.

By Ramjet
Thanks Lawrence

By Kingpin
The update's looking great, but there's definitely something off with the height of the second and third floors. I suggest using the establishing shot from the first movie.

some good images:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sneeu/2972337006/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/triborough/2851317355/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23956649@N07/2571003085/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecny/2535768699/

Goodluck with the Department of Buildings, hope you're able to get some exterior plans for the station.

Marty, I forgot to say, any plan you have of making a model of the LA interior and put it in the NY exterior will be tricky, as the LA station is about twice as long. Check it out on Goggle Maps/Earth, it's at 255 East 5th Street, Los Angeles.
By Marty120704
Here is a new update on mine. Only exterior improvements, still has a ways to go. Also with the interior shots I'm going to make. Its not going to be a completely accurate, but it'll look legitimate. It'll take a lil longer than expected. The colors I have on it are just for reference, obviously they are not what I'm going to use in my final product. Since I am using Google Sketch Up I've been pondering if i should include the basement with containment unit.....

By Ramjet
Yes, Kingpin, you are right again.
I didn't approach the project with an analytical mind - dead reckoning and haste beat me.

I have taken a front on shot and corrected the lens distortion, then overlaid a grid, the size of which approximated inches with respect to the photo.
I took the width of 27 feet to be about right and have scaled it all accordingly. This will give me the correct heights for the second and third storey.

More tomorrow.

By Cornelius
Is it just my screen or does that pavement really look that supernatural?.... :-)
By Ramjet
This is better - the proportions are now correct.

Proton Props UK

I've seen that too...... Maybe, I don't know? Fu[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]