Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By Kingpin
The Story:
This Post Contains Spoilers
Easter Eggs:
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
Great finds, Kingpin!
Kingpin wrote:
By Carnacki
Although I thought this was a fantastic issue, I do have a small gripe I'd like to express: GOZER!! The one major problem the franchise has always had is the constant need to tie every major villain back to Gozer. We've so far had a minion of Gozer (Idulnas) and the father of Gozer (Koza'Rai), the concubine of Gozer (Heel in the Tokypop series), the guys have faced off against Gozer three times now (I'm counting the video game here; it's four times if you include the Christmas special "Past, Present, and Future"), and now we have the SISTER of Gozer?? Give it a rest, folks!

I feel like the comic book series has never broken free of this trope. The world the original movie created is so ripe with possibilities, there should never be a need to use Gozer unless in reference to the events of the first flick. The second film, love it or hate it, never even mentioned Gozer in the major plot and I'm willing to bet the third movie won't, either! And the cartoon steered away from any Gozer usage, too!

Of course, it should be stated that this series is my all time favorite comic book and I love all the work everyone puts into it. I just roll my eyes now every time I see Gozer's name in its pages.
By zeta otaku
This is actually the first time since way back in the original 4 issues Gozer has been referenced. It's also taking place during the 30th anniversary, so yeah, they're gonna do a Gozer-ish story. It's really cool they were able to pull in Dana and now Louis for their story, both of whom were off-limits for the LONGEST time.

Can't wait to see how this ends and what's coming in the future. :D
By Fritz
Carnacki wrote:Although I thought this was a fantastic issue, I do have a small gripe I'd like to express: GOZER!! The one major problem the franchise has always had is the constant need to tie every major villain back to Gozer. We've so far had a minion of Gozer (Idulnas) and the father of Gozer (Koza'Rai), the concubine of Gozer (Heel in the Tokypop series), the guys have faced off against Gozer three times now (I'm counting the video game here; it's four times if you include the Christmas special "Past, Present, and Future"), and now we have the SISTER of Gozer?? Give it a rest, folks!

I feel like the comic book series has never broken free of this trope. The world the original movie created is so ripe with possibilities, there should never be a need to use Gozer unless in reference to the events of the first flick. The second film, love it or hate it, never even mentioned Gozer in the major plot and I'm willing to bet the third movie won't, either! And the cartoon steered away from any Gozer usage, too!

Of course, it should be stated that this series is my all time favorite comic book and I love all the work everyone puts into it. I just roll my eyes now every time I see Gozer's name in its pages.
98% of the time I completely agree with everything you wrote. But since it's the anniversary story, I let it slide this time--Tiamat's been an interesting villain so far. Yeah, I personally think saying "She's a rival member of Gozer's pantheon" would have been sufficient, but I guess I'm just so used to the Gozer flogging by now that "She's Gozer's sister" doesn't bother me as much as it normally would.

Just as long as they don't bring back Horg
By mrmichaelt
Fritz wrote:[98% of the time I completely agree with everything you wrote. But since it's the anniversary story, I let it slide this time--Tiamat's been an interesting villain so far. Yeah, I personally think saying "She's a rival member of Gozer's pantheon" would have been sufficient, but I guess I'm just so used to the Gozer flogging by now that "She's Gozer's sister" doesn't bother me as much as it normally would.

I would have been in the same boat with Carnacki but Tiamat being a relation of Gozer isn't out of the blue. Even if you are coming into this having not read Displaced Aggression, Tristan Jones set up the notion of an expanded Gozerian pantheon discovered in the Gozerian Codex. This in a PCOC file in Issue #6 of Volume One I think. The fact Burnham then it a sibling rivalry instead of just a rivalry like in TVG:RV, was a neat little twist.
By Carnacki
mrmichaelt wrote:
Fritz wrote:[98% of the time I completely agree with everything you wrote. But since it's the anniversary story, I let it slide this time--Tiamat's been an interesting villain so far. Yeah, I personally think saying "She's a rival member of Gozer's pantheon" would have been sufficient, but I guess I'm just so used to the Gozer flogging by now that "She's Gozer's sister" doesn't bother me as much as it normally would.

I would have been in the same boat with Carnacki but Tiamat being a relation of Gozer isn't out of the blue. Even if you are coming into this having not read Displaced Aggression, Tristan Jones set up the notion of an expanded Gozerian pantheon discovered in the Gozerian Codex. This in a PCOC file in Issue #6 of Volume One I think. The fact Burnham then it a sibling rivalry instead of just a rivalry like in TVG:RV, was a neat little twist.
Yeah, I guess I should just enjoy it. It is the anniversary, like Fritz said. And I'm excited to see Louis Tully in next issue!
zeta otaku liked this
By Fritz
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #30 (V2#14)

Oh look! I'm not absurdly late with this one!
By GhstbstrLMLIII
Another great issue all around.

I think I found another Easter Egg that hasn't been mentioned - if so, I apologize:
By mrmichaelt
Kingpin wrote:
Actually, no. It's from the first Ghostbusters movie. It's in Dana's apartment. At the 19 min. mark, after the GB commercial, to the right of the TV is an armchair. To the right of it is a table with a lamp. Next to the lamp is the wooden hand. It pops every so often like at the 27 mark when Peter plops down on the couch and gives the 'We have the same problem' speech.
By Heroic35
I checked out this month's issue as I absolutely love the little things that are put into it that michael lists as easter eggs. I try to catch them all the time and then go back to his list to see what I have missed. I was listening to an episode of the CTS podcast and Dan says that he tries to sneak things in to mess with Michael's list but rarely sneaks things by him.

But does anyone think that the
I am digging the chaos thing but agree with most about the
By Kingpin
Well, if given the requirement to draw several vehicles in one panel in New York where the 80s is sill within recent memory, I dare say few of us would've missed the opportunity to throw in those references. :)

The pigeons didn't bother me, we've already seen blood rain and broken gravity because of Tiamat, the talking pigeons seems to easily fall into her realm of spreading chaos.
By mrmichaelt
Heroic35 wrote:I checked out this month's issue as I absolutely love the little things that are put into it that michael lists as easter eggs. I try to catch them all the time and then go back to his list to see what I have missed. I was listening to an episode of the CTS podcast and Dan says that he tries to sneak things in to mess with Michael's list but rarely sneaks things by him.
Thank you, but to be fair, others users often catch things I miss. Kingpin catches 99.9% of the location details and I can be terrible at times at remembering 80s/90s pop culture.
By Kingpin
So this is a reference that goes all the way back to issue #3, back in 2011. :)

Watching The Blues Brothers tonight, I suddenly had a sense of deja vu. I dug out my trade paperback and studied the bar where Ron and his friend are shooting pool, it's Bob's Country Bunker from The Blues Brothers.

I checked quickly to see if this had already popped up, but as we didn't compile the lists of Easter eggs quite so clearly back then so I couldn't determine decisively if it'd already been noted or not.
mrmichaelt liked this
By caleconners83
The first thing I thought of when I saw the talking pigeons was the cartoon animainacs. They had a segment called the goodfeathers which was about 3 talking birds. That was based on the movie goodfellas, which if you havent seen it, you should, if your over 17 that is.
mrmichaelt, zeta otaku liked this
By Fritz
caleconners83 wrote:The first thing I thought of when I saw the talking pigeons was the cartoon animainacs. They had a segment called the goodfeathers which was about 3 talking birds. That was based on the movie goodfellas, which if you havent seen it, you should, if your over 17 that is.
Exactly why I enjoyed that bit. It was like writing in a new joke--the first pigeon sounds like Bobby, then Squit, then Pesto, and an already surreal scene is even funnier.
caleconners83 liked this
By Fritz
You know, I was re-reading V2#11 in preparation for the next update of the New Timeline, and I noticed something in the backup story that I can't believe I didn't pick up on the first time:
Kylie wrote:You passed out. You forgot your shot or something?
Eduardo wrote:...Maybe it was a dream. Maybe I did forget my shot
Passing out and having moments of questionable lucidity can be caused by failure to properly regulate blood sugar. Is Erik Burnham suggesting that IDW Eduardo is diabetic?

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it. Wouldn't be the first time.:?
By Razorgeist
Finally read #14. As a previous poster pointed out this was a great slowed down character issue. I definetly liked the interaction between Kylie, Ortiz and Dana Barrett (never thought we'd see them meet up).
Fritz wrote:
Carnacki wrote:Although I thought this was a fantastic issue, I do have a small gripe I'd like to express: GOZER!! The one major problem the franchise has always had is the constant need to tie every major villain back to Gozer. We've so far had a minion of Gozer (Idulnas) and the father of Gozer (Koza'Rai), the concubine of Gozer (Heel in the Tokypop series), the guys have faced off against Gozer three times now (I'm counting the video game here; it's four times if you include the Christmas special "Past, Present, and Future"), and now we have the SISTER of Gozer?? Give it a rest, folks!

98% of the time I completely agree with everything you wrote. But since it's the anniversary story, I let it slide this time--Tiamat's been an interesting villain so far. Yeah, I personally think saying "She's a rival member of Gozer's pantheon" would have been sufficient, but I guess I'm just so used to the Gozer flogging by now that "She's Gozer's sister" doesn't bother me as much as it normally would.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Also I think we should at least give Erik credit for avoiding Gozer for most of the run (if memory serves me the first arc was editorially mandated) .
By Kingpin
As it would appear, Dan and Louis have taken the opportunity to present the IDW-verse's rendition of the Containment Unit interior for Total Containment, and it's rather familiar :) :

Link
By mrmichaelt
The Volume 7 trade (collecting Happy Horror Days!) came out today. With Ernie Hudson doing a forward for Total Containment, it was equally delightful to see
Two interesting but also cryptic tweets from Erik and Dan. #16 interiors seem to be done. #17 script appears to be done and sent to Dan. But...Erik also tweeted "Also: the Ghostbusters of the Future. Really!" and Dan used a hashtag "#thehammer"
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 0817827840
https://twitter.com/Dapperpomade/status ... 1227641856

Maybe Tiamat is now messing with time itself and the junior team from Sanctum of Slime appear? TheHammer can only mean one thing...Judge Stephen "The Hammer" Wexler?
By mrmichaelt
Finally, the July solicits are out on Previews World. Only the Sub and the RI covers are shown so far. Cover A is MIA. Tristan did another amazing Sub cover. Logline:
Tiamat's chaotic presence continues to be felt in New York City, and the Ghostbusters are at wits' end as to how to deal with it. She's clearly too powerful to capture, and she may be impossible to destroy... does that leave only the most drastic of options open to the team? Mass Hysteria continues here!
Hmm, while it would be a cool battle to watch, I hope they don't resort to releasing Gozer to fight Tiamat. Seems like crossing the streams is out. The only real question is how or why did she leave Earth in the first place? Was it really by being defeated/killed by Marduk?

EDIT 4/23: Dan Schoening posted a preview of the regular cover. Stunning. Confusing. Speculation. Oh, Mass Hysteria.
https://twitter.com/Dapperpomade/status ... 5113013248

http://danschoening.deviantart.com/art/ ... -449725846
By mrmichaelt
On the heels of the #18 logline and 3 covers, Dan Schoening released a teaser of his Issue #19 cover.
Regular Cover Preview

Uh-oh.
By groschopf
Issue #15 is available via iTunes as of... I dunno, 10 Pacific time? I've just read it and spared myself the trouble of getting to the comic shop tomorrow morning before the new release rush (besides, my subscription service will mail a hard copy this weekend). Having said that...

Sheesh, Burnham. You're going to cripple us with suspense. Good work on the slow burn and cap to this latest issue. It really feels like an arc this length is giving the story the proper amount of time it needs to develop, and the characters a chance to show some other sides of their personalities.

Schoening, excellent work as always. Pitch perfect and dynamically drawn. Creepy as hell at times.

Gah. This series beats the hell out of a third movie.

And now the countdown begins for issue #16.
zeta otaku liked this
Reboot Proton Pack build 2016

Hi Y'all! :) I am resurrecting this thread because[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

I thought 6 inch was 6 inch.. I just looked the m[…]