Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By Fritz
mrmichaelt wrote:
JA Slow wrote:So Total Containment has everything of the Ongoing Series minus the few proceeding issues. Wonder if there will be a Complete Collection like those Omnibus things. I haven't bought any of these comics and would like to read just the Ongoing Series for now. If one to start at just #1, would they be missing any information regarding what's what outside of the movies and game?
Sort of. You don't really have to because the writing is so good and brings you up to speed but to get the whole picture, you would need Ghostbusters: Infestation #1 and 2. What happens at the end of it leads into the events surrounding #1-4 of the ongoing. Some of Tristan Jones' PCOC files in the supplementary section are about entities/characters from the Displaced Aggression mini-series and the What in Samhain Just Happened?! one shot. That's pretty much it... you can get away with not reading the other IDW GB material. Of course, if you factor in Dan Schoening's easter eggs and references, your question may as well get tossed out the window. lol.
I also have to point out one other pre-Ongoing one-shot, "Tainted Love". It's the first appearance of Tiyah Clarke, the woman Winston marries in Vol.2 #13. Again, not "essential", but of some historical interest. It's also in the Haunted Holidays collection.
SPJ liked this
By M.Thunder
mrmichaelt wrote:
Fritz wrote:Oh, you know, Vigo's escaped from the painting (which they never explained how he popped back into in the first place)
Hmm, they never did explain it in The Video Game did they? I recall the prevailing theory was the P.K.E. shockwave triggered by Ilyssa Selwyn restored the Vigo tapestry.
This has nothing to do with anything, but I still think Ilyssa Selwyn should have turned out to be the Big Bad of the video game. Ever read "The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward?" Something like that would have been so epic. Everyone was a little too willing to decide she was innocent of any intentional wrongdoing, and I was hoping just once they'd be proved wrong. Oh well.

Again, this has nothing to do with anything.
mrmichaelt wrote:But with the design of the Mandala system and its effect on ghosts, the shock wave wasn't enough to do much to Vigo (I guess Shandor learned his lesson after Vigo jacked his river). But in any case, you got me thinking. Perhaps Erik slipped in some exposition about it in this month's issue.
I'm sure we'll find out how Vigo got out of his painting, if this turns out to be the real Vigo and not some Goddess-powered copy of him or something. Last time we saw him, he needed to possess a human to manifest outside of his painting, and my guess is it's Poha. That's just a guess though.
mrmichaelt wrote:
Fritz wrote:God damn it, I hope we get some resolution in the next three issues.
It sounds like there will be resolution but a 'the adventure continues' type ending. It's not like the IDW canon is vanishing. Once Issue #20 ends, I'm hopeful it'll just briefly be on 'pause' until the next thing comes along. Looking forward to Comic Con.
[/quote]

We now know we're getting a 4 issue TMNT/GB crossover that'll keep our Erik/Dan/Luis/T-Rex team together until at least January. So there's that. Lets hope the sales of that are strong enough to get more stuff from that team, like when the Ongoing was greenlit off of the strength of the Infestation arc.

By the way, that's another thing any studio smart enough to hire Erik Burnham to write "Ghostbusters III" for them would get: a guy who took the prompt "Ghostbusters vs. Zombie Stay-Puft" and wrote something strong enough that they gave him a whole series.
mrmichaelt wrote:
Fritz wrote:Egon and Kylie realize that Vuul and Zinz Clortho are still hiding inside Dana and Louis.
Cute, Fritz. It's odd they aren't named yet. Personally, I've been going by Anzu and Siris. Heh.
[/quote]

I like all these ideas, but I haven't seen the need to name them since they don't really have personalities, they just squak, follow orders, and look intimidating. They haven't done anything yet.
mrmichaelt wrote: EDIT: Another easter egg ID'ed in Issue #17. On the last page, there's that box near the stairwell. It's got the Ghostbusters: Hot Rods of the Gods in the front. One of the West End RPGs from the 1980s. I think someone here asked what it was.
Where does Dan FIND this stuff???
SPJ liked this
By mrmichaelt
Bobby Curnow confirmed the TMNT/GB miniseries' story's Ghostbusters universe is in canon with the ongoing so it continues!
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showpo ... stcount=34
Fritz wrote:I also have to point out one other pre-Ongoing one-shot, "Tainted Love". It's the first appearance of Tiyah Clarke, the woman Winston marries in Vol.2 #13. Again, not "essential", but of some historical interest. It's also in the Haunted Holidays collection.
Ah yes, thanks for adding that in Fritz.
M.Thunder wrote: Last time we saw him, he needed to possess a human to manifest outside of his painting, and my guess is it's Poha. That's just a guess though.
I thought he needed to possess a human again in order to live again... he did appear outside the painting in the movie as a ghost and without a host. He drew enough juice from the Hart Island surge like he did the negatively charged River of Slime to leave the painting.
M.Thunder wrote:We now know we're getting a 4 issue TMNT/GB crossover that'll keep our Erik/Dan/Luis/T-Rex team together until at least January. So there's that. Lets hope the sales of that are strong enough to get more stuff from that team, like when the Ongoing was greenlit off of the strength of the Infestation arc.
The strength of TMNT fans will help with sales.
M.Thunder wrote:Where does Dan FIND this stuff???
It's a constant wonder how he decides to put what where in the limited time he has.
By mrmichaelt
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Main Story
This Post Contains Spoilers
Easter Eggs so far:
EDIT: And as bonus, the Volume 9 trade is up on Amazon for preorder and it reveals the front cover. Since the Amazon date is December 30, the tentative general release will be December 17.
By Kingpin
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

The Story
Easter Eggs
mrmichaelt wrote:EDIT: And as bonus, the Volume 9 trade is up on Amazon for preorder and it reveals the front cover. Since the Amazon date is December 30, the tentative general release will be December 17.
Looks like it's one half of a pretty awesome looking wrap-around cover. :)
mrmichaelt, SPJ liked this
By mrmichaelt
Kingpin wrote:
And I also found one more easter egg:
Kingpin wrote:Looks like it's one half of a pretty awesome looking wrap-around cover. :)
Agreed!

EDIT 8/5: Here's the front cover of the Volume 8 trade, out tomorrow:
https://twitter.com/Dapperpomade/status ... 5106379776

As Kingpin pointed out, the covers for Volume 8 and 9 do connect into one image. Looks rad.
By Fritz
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #34 (V2#18)
(sigh) And only two (or six) more to go.
SPJ liked this
By mrmichaelt
1) Fritz, it was just Gozer in #17 posing as the spirit guide at first.

In my mind, I think Kaz is Bridget's mom, too. But I think she already had Bridget and is probably around the same age as Alan who appeared WAY back in the very first issue.

2) Tristan Jones posted a finished Slimer fanart on his Twitter.
https://twitter.com/TRexJones/status/499408768572993536

This fanart combined with Tristan's TMNT/GB #1 sub cover... get's me all nostalgic. I REALLY want see Tristan's art in Volume 3 if it happens. Or a Jones-written story. I still got love for all those pitches he's talked about - like the Spider Witch one.
By Fritz
mrmichaelt wrote:1) Fritz, it was just Gozer in #17 posing as the spirit guide at first.
Well, yeah, but every once in a while these little brain drizzles get into my head and I gotta pick at them.
In my mind, I think Kaz is Bridget's mom, too. But I think she already had Bridget and is probably around the same age as Alan who appeared WAY back in the very first issue.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I see it too.
2) Tristan Jones posted a finished Slimer fanart on his Twitter.
https://twitter.com/TRexJones/status/499408768572993536

This fanart combined with Tristan's TMNT/GB #1 sub cover... get's me all nostalgic. I REALLY want see Tristan's art in Volume 3 if it happens. Or a Jones-written story. I still got love for all those pitches he's talked about - like the Spider Witch one.
Seconded.
mrmichaelt, SPJ liked this
By TristanJones
That slimer art is actually my final Ghostbusters cover. Kinda sad to say it. The Ghostbusters TMNT #2 will be my last cover for that too. The deadlines for Silent Hill have been crazy so I wasn't able to stick around for #3 and #4. I was told there's a vague chance that I might get a shot at writing and drawing a 6 or so issue miniseries next year, which I'd love to do, but I'd say Volume 3 will be Erik and Dan doing their thing again. The mini-series thing comes down to a few things though I'd suspect and I'm not holding my breath. The Spirit Guide, the Tobin's stories, the RGB digital comics/mini-series, the annual story... even the three stories I'd been asked to pitch in the past never eventuated so I've got a vague feeling it could be one of those "never meant to be" situations. Which is a shame, because there are one or two stories I'm dying to tell and I think folks'd really dig, but it is what it is. Never say never, I guess...
By mrmichaelt
That's too bad to hear TMNT/GB #2 will be your last cover but deadlines are deadlines.

Hmm, so there will be/could be another miniseries after the crossover... if you get it - both writing and drawing, do you sleep? ;)

Theoretically, if there's a Volume 3 and Erik is too busy with other projects - would it be possible for you to write an arc or two and still have Erik be there as a consultant (making sure continuity is preserved, set up for his stories down the line, etc.) or would you only be back doing covers, PCOC files and the occasional back up story?
By TristanJones
That would be I guess up to Tom. All of that. If the opportunity is still there, I'll chase it up, but I can't say for certain what I'll be doing. If anything... I definitely won't be going back to doing PCOC files stuff. We did that with the intention of collecting them all together in their own book, but I don't think that was ever really going to happen. To be honest, I'm kind of at a point now, professionally speaking, where I'd rather tell complete stories. Writing and drawing. I still love reading what Erik's doing and love Dan's art to death, but if Volume 3 were up to me I'd probably be taking a scorched earth approach and telling all new stories. Nothing that discounts what Erik and Dan are doing, but we're all different story tellers. I'm sure (because I seem to recall this coming up) if Erik were to ever bring the Sandman into the comic continuity, it'd be completely different to the way I'd do it. My art isn't anything like Dan's either -- that's how I see things and portray them, and that's how I see things generally when I'm writing, so what you see from me visually is pretty close to how it'd feel if I were writing. A little bit grimier I guess.

I think what I'm saying is that there's no way of knowing. I've gone about a very roundabout way of saying that the way I tell Ghostbusters stories is different to Erik. We've got different views on things. I think tonally what I'd do would be more in line with the 88mph story, but that's just because I think the way I see things visually are more in line with that. I don't know. I'm rambling. I've been awake for too long as it is working on Silent Hill, so I'm sure I'd manage on that front... ;)

At the end of the day, if the opportunity is there, sure, I'll tell a story. But I'm so out of the equation that it doesn't really make much difference what I say. It's up to Tom, Erik, Chris Ryall, and really you guys as well. I probably wouldn't've even been asked to be on the comics if it weren't for you guys, and I suspect it may have been the same for Dan. You guys really helped push us to the forefront of things, and I doubt the Tobin's Spirit Guide would've even been a consideration for the same reasons.
By M.Thunder
Damnit, I MISS those PCOC files! :( Those were too much fun, and I actually think it's fascinating to see what all these ghostbusting events look like from Peck's point of view. He's an underused character in my opinion.

I'm sorry to hear that Tristan's career is taking him further and further away from this franchise. "Ghostbusters" is a horror comedy, and Tristan brought the horror part, and reminded us that as funny as our characters are, these monsters are SCARY. In a comic where our heroes can sometimes seem invincible, that's an important thing to remember...

For what it's worth, Tristan, if you ever DO get that RGB spin off, I will pre-order the shite out of it. That show had some of the scariest imagery any cartoon ever got away with, and I'd love to see what you'd do with it.

And of course, I'll wait forever for that damn Tobin's Spirit Guide if I have to...
SPJ liked this
By TristanJones
M.Thunder wrote:Damnit, I MISS those PCOC files! :( Those were too much fun, and I actually think it's fascinating to see what all these ghostbusting events look like from Peck's point of view. He's an underused character in my opinion.
That's kinda my thing. That was how I wrote my TMNT stories. We've had twenty something years of seeing these particular types of stories. What haven't we seen? Who haven't we heard from? What's it like living in this world?

I think Erik did just fine with Peck. The only reason we put PCOC into the comics was because we couldn't do the Spirit Guide stuff. Originally it was going to be those sorts of things in the back.
M.Thunder wrote:I'm sorry to hear that Tristan's career is taking him further and further away from this franchise. "Ghostbusters" is a horror comedy, and Tristan brought the horror part, and reminded us that as funny as our characters are, these monsters are SCARY. In a comic where our heroes can sometimes seem invincible, that's an important thing to remember...
It's not so much that, it's more that it keeps getting further and further from me... As I said, there's been some close calls, but they've all been nixed, and I gotta work.
M.Thunder wrote:For what it's worth, Tristan, if you ever DO get that RGB spin off, I will pre-order the shite out of it. That show had some of the scariest imagery any cartoon ever got away with, and I'd love to see what you'd do with it.
That, like the Spirit Guide, won't happen. Besides, drawing the GB's the way I did on the TMNT cover is pretty much "my" way of doing things. The RGB stuff is fun, but it's not a comfortable style. It's not "me". That said, I'm certainly not averse to reimagining certain RGB villains...
M.Thunder wrote:And of course, I'll wait forever for that damn Tobin's Spirit Guide if I have to...
You will definitely be waiting forever.
By mrmichaelt
TristanJones wrote:That said, I'm certainly not averse to reimagining certain RGB villains...
Ever since the Grundel had a cameo in the Tobin story and the danger posed by the Phantom Driver, I would love to see these reimaginings come to life in the ongoing series or whatever title.I would like to see the more terrible ghosts explored, the homicidal ones like in Vol.2 #2 and 13. This title does seem to be geared to the 20-somethings. Kind of like a qualm with EGB, I would like to see a story where a life is really at stake. The Video Game got into it with Azetlor and Spider Witch in particular. Since both the Boogieman and Grundel are set up to exist in this comic canon... Hmm. So far, it feels like things are played a bit too safe. I don't know, I've been up for too long. Need sleep.
By Ivo Shandor
TristanJones wrote:Besides, drawing the GB's the way I did on the TMNT cover is pretty much "my" way of doing things. The RGB stuff is fun, but it's not a comfortable style. It's not "me". That said, I'm certainly not averse to reimagining certain RGB villains...
Ive always liked your art. I'd like to see you do more GB.
http://www.cnv.co.il/pics/previews/idw/ ... sters2.jpg
SPJ liked this
By TristanJones
mrmichaelt wrote:
TristanJones wrote:That said, I'm certainly not averse to reimagining certain RGB villains...
Ever since the Grundel had a cameo in the Tobin story and the danger posed by the Phantom Driver, I would love to see these reimaginings come to life in the ongoing series or whatever title.I would like to see the more terrible ghosts explored, the homicidal ones like in Vol.2 #2 and 13. This title does seem to be geared to the 20-somethings. Kind of like a qualm with EGB, I would like to see a story where a life is really at stake. The Video Game got into it with Azetlor and Spider Witch in particular. Since both the Boogieman and Grundel are set up to exist in this comic canon... Hmm. So far, it feels like things are played a bit too safe. I don't know, I've been up for too long. Need sleep.
The Grundel was going to be what my story for the annual revolved around, and it would've been that bit in German in the early 1900's.

As for the life at stake thing, that's kind of what the secret one revolves around. Kind of. And trees. And witchcraft. And cults.

Yeah, I think Azetlor in the realistic video game is a pretty awesome design, and you know the Spiderwitch was a big part of a police procedural pitch that went online years ago.
Ivo Shandor wrote:
TristanJones wrote:Besides, drawing the GB's the way I did on the TMNT cover is pretty much "my" way of doing things. The RGB stuff is fun, but it's not a comfortable style. It's not "me". That said, I'm certainly not averse to reimagining certain RGB villains...
Ive always liked your art. I'd like to see you do more GB.
http://www.cnv.co.il/pics/previews/idw/ ... sters2.jpg
You realise that's not me, right? That's Nick Runge... THIS is me...
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
TristanJones wrote:The Grundel was going to be what my story for the annual revolved around, and it would've been that bit in German in the early 1900's.
Argh.
TristanJones wrote:As for the life at stake thing, that's kind of what the secret one revolves around. Kind of. And trees. And witchcraft. And cults.
Interesting. Witchcraft and a tree? Nine Sacred Woods came to mind. But probably not it.
TristanJones wrote:Yeah, I think Azetlor in the realistic video game is a pretty awesome design, and you know the Spiderwitch was a big part of a police procedural pitch that went online years ago.
Yeah, would have been a good read. Someday maybe. I liked how some things were left open ended with her in the game, the realistic version anyway. I appreciated all of Dan's references to her from What in Samhain Just Happened?! to the ongoing and recently with Gozer using her form. I concluded she dispersed in the video game - but I mean her body was never found and she wasn't trapped so that leaves an open door for her to come back, imo. While she won't be as supercharged without a Mandala, she'd still probably be a decent threat. Plus, another Sedgewick visit would be neat - it's a place that's been noticeable avoided in the ongoing for whatever reason whereas Central Park seems to keep popping up.
By M.Thunder
TristanJones wrote: That's kinda my thing. That was how I wrote my TMNT stories. We've had twenty something years of seeing these particular types of stories. What haven't we seen? Who haven't we heard from? What's it like living in this world?
Very cool...
TristanJones wrote: I think Erik did just fine with Peck. The only reason we put PCOC into the comics was because we couldn't do the Spirit Guide stuff. Originally it was going to be those sorts of things in the back.
For what my opinion is worth, I liked the PCOC files more then the Tobin stories. I liked that they were the comic-equivalent of "found footage" and the notes they were marked up with illustrated the characters professional and personal relationships.

The Tobin stories are fine, don't get me wrong, not knocking the Tobin stories, I just don't care about Tobin as much as I care about our main cast, and I think he's more interesting as a shadowy pulp-era paranormal researcher then an actual protagonist. That's just my opinion though.
TristanJones wrote: It's not so much that, it's more that it keeps getting further and further from me... As I said, there's been some close calls, but they've all been nixed, and I gotta work.
Sounds like the old "Creative Differences" caveat... It happens, and when it does I guess it's better to let go rather then let the story suffer caught between two incompatible visions, but still it's a bummer...
TristanJones wrote: That, like the Spirit Guide, won't happen. Besides, drawing the GB's the way I did on the TMNT cover is pretty much "my" way of doing things. The RGB stuff is fun, but it's not a comfortable style. It's not "me". That said, I'm certainly not averse to reimagining certain RGB villains...
This is just my opinion and I don't pretend to know anything about anything. But the fact that this would be such a different style for you (character-model wise) is exactly why I think an RGB comic or mini-comic from you would be so exciting. The Characters would be a style very different from your usual one, while the monsters would be where you'd get to go crazy. That sounds like the best of both worlds to me...

Again, I know nothing and I don't actually think it's going to happen, I'm just daydreaming...
TristanJones wrote: You will definitely be waiting forever.
(sigh) I know... maybe once I'm done with Earth, they'll have a copy in the library of Unwritten Books. A girl can dream...

For what it's worth, you know what I liked most about your Tobin pitch? I liked that you kind of made YOURSELF into a character in the GB world, as an illustrator who was collaborating with these researchers. That made perfect sense to me, because of course you can't photograph these ghosts, goblins and extra-dimensional beings. The only way you're going to get a picture of a Sandman, Grundel, or angry class seven is if somebody draws it. Then you'd have a different class of ghost-hunter, one armed with a pencil instead of proton pack, putting themselves in huge danger for the sake of knowledge!

... I confess a lot of this is probably just my own imagination running away with me, rather then any intention of yours, but oh well, if we're talking about a fictional book anyway...
By mrmichaelt
Dan Schoening posted two teasers for Issue #19 which releases at the end of the month.

-https://twitter.com/Dapperpomade/status ... 3149436929

-This one is a bit of spoiler if you haven't been following hints of what's to come: https://twitter.com/Dapperpomade/status ... 8974338048

Combined with some other teases, looks like a lot of 'selecting' is getting done in this issue. Or something.

EDIT: 8/18 - Dan tweeted today he was finished Issue #20.
https://twitter.com/Dapperpomade/status ... 3798125568
By mrmichaelt
Main Story
Easter Eggs so far:
By Kingpin
The Story
and who knows how it'll pan out in next month's final issue!*

*Okay, not quite the final issue with the Ghostbusters as it first appeared, but still...

The Easter Eggs:
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
A few more easter eggs in #19
Kingpin wrote:The Easter Eggs:
Kingpin wrote:
By JayTigran
Sad to see the end is near, we had an amazing run for a niche comic, and Erik, Dan, Luis, and Tom (as well as Tristan when he could add content) should be VERY proud of their work, I know I was a very happy customer every month when these came out, and I can't wait for the GB/TMNT crossover from the same amazing team!
By Fritz
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #35 (V2#19)

Well, darn it, here I am doing it again. Knowing I only have one (or five) more to go after this is slowing me down again. Man, am I gonna miss doing these.

So where were we?
I guess we'll have to see, won't we?

Next time...

...And So It Ends.

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]