Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By joeghostbuster
so a couple months back I approached Capt Cyan about a "secret project". I was very impressed with the work he had been doing involving the updated RGB packs that you all know about, as well as several other things I had seen him working on including his reworked/repainted versions of the Kenner Ecto-1 and the firehouse playset. I knew he was the "right man for the job".

my idea was to buy an extra Mattel figure, and have him convert it into a figure of "The Rookie" from the 360/PC/PS3 game. and Im not talking about making a new head and swapping out one of the Mattel heads. I wanted all the details of the videogame proton pack ("super gun", slime tank, extra wires etc) as well as the flashlight & walkie talkie on the pack straps and the flat pke and trap hanging from his belt. so I took a ton of fraps screencaps from the game, from all different angles of the pack, the gun, and although very difficult, the front of the Rookie (can usually only be done after he is knocked down)

here is a cap from the game
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/309/ ... 939052.jpg

and a quick photoshop of what I was imagining for the final product...
ImageImage

this was not going to be an easy task. so I bought an extra slimed Peter figure on ebay and sent it to him along with some various wires and parts that I thought would come in handy during the sculpting process. we were still wondering how we were going to do the head, when one day I had a breakthrough. my 6 yr old nephew was staying over one day, and he has a couple large containers filled with toys that I keep at my house for him when he stays over. we had one of them dumped out on the floor and I came across a Playmates Terminator Salvation "Marcus" figure

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... ymates.jpg

while not a perfect match for the Rookie, his is the same exact size as the Mattel Ghostbusters figures, his haircut was similar to that of the Rookie - so I sent the Marcus figure and my slimed Egon figure (we had come to the agreement that Capt would take Egons legs and put them on Peters body, so that the Rookie figure would have tucked in pantlegs and gloved hands, just like in the game) to Capt, and paypal'd him some funds, as we agreed upon when first starting out. anyway, over the course of the last few weeks the Capt has been sending me a progress pic or 2 of which I will share with you...

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

needless to say I am very pleased with how the project is coming along. once the body parts are switched around I think it will be easier to visualize what the final product will be, and Im sure the Capt will be adding to the this thread as the project progresses further.
Last edited by joeghostbuster on August 13th, 2010, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptCyan liked this
By GhstbstrLMLIII
This is really cool. I can't wait to see what Capt adds, much more so even the final project.
By 4x4njay
Pretty awesome. Just got into the mattel figures myself and that would be cool if they came out with a rookie figure.
By CaptCyan
Well,

That introduction seems to have covered it...Thank you and goodnight!

But before I go, here are some pictures I didn't send to joeghostbuster.

It's the Donner party of 3.

The extra stuff that was sent along with the figures.

Egon, untucked.

The Curse of the Headless Venkman! or All I ever wanted to do in life was get a head.

Gloves, boots tucked in and other assorted stuff held on temp like with putty. I intend to fill the poly tubing with "Slime Green" paint, at least that's the plan. We'll see how that goes.

And the picture you've all been waiting for, Rookie with a head. His neck was a bit thicker than the Matty figures so I shaved it down. It was also a solid piece so I had to hollow it out as well. The face is a fair match but the eyes are too squinty. I plan to make eye decals from one of the Caps joeghostbuster has provided, that and a lighter skin color and he should be scary close to the real (CGI) thing.

AJ Quick, alphabeta001 liked this
By mikegb1984x
This is interesting. Im not one of the people who want a rookie figure so much. I just think its a generic face which has no meaning to me other than the game ( wich i considered to be me) So I would want it to be my face. But anyway, Capt I am real intrested in how ur gonna do this pack. This i have a feeling is gonna be amazing. Cant wait to see more.

Cool project joeghostbuster, u spending some big $ on this??
By CaptCyan
mikegb1984x wrote:This is interesting. Im not one of the people who want a rookie figure so much. I just think its a generic face which has no meaning to me other than the game ( wich i considered to be me) So I would want it to be my face. But anyway, Capt I am real intrested in how ur gonna do this pack. This i have a feeling is gonna be amazing. Cant wait to see more.

Cool project joeghostbuster, u spending some big $ on this??
It's not the Pack that will be interesting...it's the thrower that will be tricky.

And yes he is.
By Chris M UK
Wow. :-o There isn't enough crunch bars in the world! Even in these early stages you can see it's going to be an outstanding build! Amazing craftsmanship!

Can't wait to see how this figure turns out!
By elsoldao7
This is gonna be awsome! I wish I had the money to get an extra 12", or at least get 1/6 proton pack to get some cusomizations going!
Question... Has anyone been able to figure out how to remove the pack from the 6" figures?
By joeghostbuster
CaptCyan wrote:And the picture you've all been waiting for, Rookie with a head. His neck was a bit thicker than the Matty figures so I shaved it down. It was also a solid piece so I had to hollow it out as well. The face is a fair match but the eyes are too squinty. I plan to make eye decals from one of the Caps joeghostbuster has provided, that and a lighter skin color and he should be scary close to the real (CGI) thing.
I just hope Ryan French doesnt see this thread and demand royalties :D
CaptCyan liked this
By CaptCyan
joeghostbuster wrote:I just hope Ryan French doesnt see this thread and demand royalties :D
He won't be able to tell when it's done. Here it is with the foundation paint on it.

I did a little Paint Shop work and made up a side by side of what he should look like with the decal eyes and eyebrows (I added the eyebrows 'cause they're pretty wild looking).

I'm unsure if I want to try to re-shape the mouth and chin area a bit to give it that smile thing. I might wait untill I can recast then take a file to it. If I mess up then I'll have a back-up to use.
AJ Quick liked this
By joeghostbuster
Capt, that is awesome, but dont kill yourself on the details! when I commissioned you for this, I honestly didnt expect you to try to make it so screen accurate. am I thrilled that you are? yes. but good god man! dont feel like you have to try to mimic the eyes with decals or exact positioning of eyebrows. if you can match the skin color of the other Mattel figures, give him some brown hair and paint in some eyes, I think that would be good enough. you're gonna have enough trouble with the "super gun" and some of the pack details / wires etc I just dont want you to get burned out.
By CaptCyan
Actually, the decals are kind of a cheat. Saves me from having to try and hand paint the eyes to look like the Rookie. A few minutes in Paint Shop, resize 'em to match the figure and hit print, what could be easier? I was thinking of using this method on some of the gizmo details too. For example, the elevator shot you took has a nice front face of the radio. I was going to ask you to try and get a front face screen cap of the PKE meter and any odd labels that are on the Pack and gun.

I'm saving all the frustration for the "super gun". :wink:
By CaptCyan
Vincenzo330 wrote:You should totally cast that head though and offer them :D Especially if you have the socket in the neck worked out so that all we need is a little paint and an extra GB figure.
I would have to defer to joeghostbuster on this as I did promise him an exclusive figure and he is paying the big bucks (actually they are all the same size).

Besides, I've got Cartoon Packs and Kenner Traps to contend with plus a super-super secret figure set I'm s-l-o-w-l-y working on with another member of this fine comunity. My plate's getting full.

Anybody out there want to learn how to cast teeny tiny resin things?
By elsoldao7
CaptCyan wrote:Anybody out there want to learn how to cast teeny tiny resin things?[/color]
YES! I would!
I have some stuff in mind to use on customizing the figures, but I don't want to damage/alter the original peices.
I"ve seen kits online and tutorials on using legos to make molds, but any help and tips are appreciated.
By CaptCyan
stay_pop wrote:capt! quick question!!how did you replace the head?boil and pop?
Hot tap water, some liquid soap and POP! No need to boil.
By CaptCyan
elsoldao7 wrote:
CaptCyan wrote:Anybody out there want to learn how to cast teeny tiny resin things?[/color]
YES! I would!
I have some stuff in mind to use on customizing the figures, but I don't want to damage/alter the original peices.
I"ve seen kits online and tutorials on using legos to make molds, but any help and tips are appreciated.
That was supposed to be a joke, my friend, I should have included a LOL :wink: Please check your PM's.

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]