Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
slave1pilot wrote:It looks really good
But I think the rear is too bulbous.
I feel it needs to slope more towards the top.
just my opinion.
I agree, I am looking at my joyride ecto-1 and the rear does slope more towards the top. You can check the hotwheels 1:18 model here, with good views of the rear side:

http://www.hotwheels-elite.com/model-ca ... usters.php

*EDIT*

In this thread there's a few Ecto-1 rear shots.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... res#p24481

Also by comparing your sideways pic against the green mat with my ecto-1 model, it seems the back in your model extends a bit too far back, the last side windows are longer than in the ecto. If my cam cooperates I'll try to take a picture for comparison.
Thanks for the links, they show just the things I need. I can see the trouble on my caddy, the rear door starts straight up at 90 degree angle from the rear bumper, and starts to curve near the window... It should start curving from the bumper....

Bummer, the rear was so smooth... But, that can and will be fixed..

If you can take any pictures of the Joyride model, I'd appreciate them. I would love to see the rear straight from the top. There are very few good photographs from that angle.

Thanks guys!
Thanks for those pictures! They really do show the rear end of the Ectomobile well enough..

However, there are some differences on the model and real deal;

And...

Can you see it? The rear bumper on the model does not have the space needed for the licence plate, and the bumper does not work as a stepping ladder that the reap Ecto has... I wonder if there are more differences between the models.. Other than paintjob and missing light covers...
Ok, more work today.

In light of the comments before, I saw that the rear end needed more sanding. So, I sanded it a tad (ie; a LOT)
Lucky for me, there was two layers of balsa on the rear, just for this kinda thing...

It seems that the right side of the roof is a little higher than the left.. I need to measure it to be sure. At this time, there are no window frames, those will come when the foof is finished.

Lookng from the top, everything seems ok.

The side view shows that the Caddy is way more Ecto like now. I sanded the front so that is slopes more smoothly, and as you can see, the rear is now WAAY better... The rear does appear to be different on the models, and on the real thing. I am keeping this line, for now, as I have sanded the roof so much, that the die cast body is open in places.. If I were to sand the roof more, the metal would need to be filed, and that makes the work more nasty...

More to come, tomorrow or days after.. Thanks for the comments and suggestions, keep them coming so I can make this as accurate as I can.
Little update; The roof is nearing finishing line. Well, the basic shape at least. There are tons of little add-ons that are needed before the mould can be made. I will go to the hobby store tomorrow to get some thin plastic rod for the roof rims.

I blacked out the rear windows with acrylic paint to help me keep the window frames in line. I also did the same plastic striping around the rear, making the window frames in place. I of course forgot to take pictures of the process, sorry about that. Still, it was pretty much the same thing as earlier with the 5mm wide strips.

I only put on single strips for the rear door frames, I will build the rest wiht filler. You can see the little crack on the rear door, I removed the roof from the frame inorder to sand it properly. After the putty dries, I will be doing the rest of the details, then sanding with 400 grit paper, and of to the mould it goes..

Sorry for the slow progress, I know that you are eager to see this finished.

..So am I...

By the way, my hobby store dealer assured me that it is completely possible to get this remote controlled with proper gears...
Thanks guys!

If you like those, you're gonna love these...

I took a pencil and dabbled some markings on the roof to get a better view for the details.

I got a hold of 1mm plastic rods, and used these to build the roof rims for the roof rack.

Coat or two of grey primer and the results are obvious..

I have sanded this so many times, that I cannot count.. With sandpapers from 80 grit, 260 grit, 400 grit and finally 1200 grit..
I am finally getting there.. Nevermind the uneven parts on the windows. I will cut them out, and smooth the frames on the resin version..

The sandpaper I am using is for wetsanding, but each time I try to add some water in to the work, it makes the roof uneven, at the same darn place!?!?!! I am making the same work time after time....

I just made up my mind, and after this filler dries, I will sand it for the final time, and put the mould material on it..
...After the handle and other detail on the rear door, that is...

Although the roof is not as smooth as I'd like, it will do, for the Ecto. I can smoothen the resin cast more, and propably much better than the balsa version that this is now. And, even though there might be some inperfections on the roof, they will be hidden by the roof rack and weathering.
Josh Foote wrote:I cant believe I am just seeing this now.

Looks great!

Ditto ! Insta-subscribe .. Awesome work man cant wait to see this unfold !
Welcome on board with my project.

I feel that my original name for this thread does not convey the proper feeling for this project, so I am borrowing CaptCyan's project name, and will re-name this accordingly. I hope that this will help you guys to find this thread and help me complete this project with high results.

Thank you.
By chibigear
Ok, another little update.

I am going to a scifi convention at Stockholm, Sweden in three weeks, and so my work has been upgrading my other GB gear. I got my electronics set on my proton pack, and I am waiting for the sound board to arrive from Crix. This means that I have not made much progress on my 1/12 scale Ecto, but I did something this morning, just to wet your appetite;

After brushing the roof of the caddy with mould release agent, I brushed one layer of silicone mould on it. I deliperately made it runny, so that it would set smoothly on the roof. This of course, meant that the crevises and holes did scoop up much of my silicone, and I used nearly all of it on this one layer.

Still, I did have one jar of old silicone, from anohter project long abandoned, and as it's due date was past months ago, I decided to use it all now. It had gone a bit stiff, I had to mix the hardener with a piece of plywood stick that I use mixing paints...

Keep your fingers crossed that my little smurfing is going all right...

More when I know more myself...

The fact that the silicone had gone stiff had an advantage that I hope will work for me. It does not run. At all..
Now, I must wait for it to cure completely, and hope that the mould is good... I must make a plaster bandage cover to help this keep it's shape, and that means that I am wasting much time and resources if the silicones do not work on one go..
By chibigear
De-moulding SUCCESS!!!

I took the mould out from the roof today, and checked how good it was. I should have done the support jacket (plaster bandages) in two parts, as I managed to kind of break it at the front doors when pulling out. This is no trouble, as the windows are in a straight line, and I can bend the resin after it has been cast.

Now, I went to my hoppy store, and they did not have the resin for me, even after two weeks... Bummer! They do get it, however, early next week, I have not been the only one needing it, and the store is not happy to sell empty shelves.

After I get my hands on the resin, I will make a roof for my car, and perhaps, even get myself a fresh can of white paint...

There has been discussion on the 1/18 scale Ecto as the Batmobile has been announced, and in lieu, I think that my model needs that feature too...

I discussed with the remote control assues on my 1/12 scale ecto with my hobby store owner, and he has assured me that it is possible to add the remote control to 1/12 diecast model.

There is VERY little worry about it being too top heavy, as the maisto Cadillac weights around two kilograms, and with the most of the weight being on the metal chassis, the roof rack with greeblies is the least to worry.

Thing is, that the trouble is in that the normal motors that are used on the RC models are way too fast for heavy vehicles. The motors run at 5000+ rounds per volt, and that means that they do not get enough torque to get the heavier chassis moving.

Sorry, no photos this time, but when the resin gets here, be sure to see something that you might like.
By 06VenomGT
I just received my 1/12 scale cadillac that I bought on Ebay. I know it won't be as nice as Chibigear's project but I sure was inspired to build a large scale Ecto...plus I missed out on the Joyride release of Ecto and now I can't afford it.
By chibigear
06VenomGT wrote:I just received my 1/12 scale cadillac that I bought on Ebay. I know it won't be as nice as Chibigear's project but I sure was inspired to build a large scale Ecto...plus I missed out on the Joyride release of Ecto and now I can't afford it.
Congrats on the Caddy!

This project is on hold for the moment, as the hobby store I use has not been able to get re-stocked on casting resin. I am on the waiting list, and as soon as I am informed that they have more resin, I will get it and push this project forward. In the mean time, I need to make the mould for the roof anew, as the old mould did not react too well with my test cast with plaster.

Here is the Caddy at the present. I will not sand it any more from this, it really is pretty much done.

The new mold will allow, though, for the roof to be installed in it's place on the chassis without much work (Ie; better, more thought of mould...) and will feature the rear door in full, with door handle and other details that the previous mould missed.

The casts will look more or less like this, just a bit thinner. Don't mind the uneven insides of the window frames, or the jagged edge on the left part of the rear door fram, they will not be present on the casts..

There have been private inquiries regarding casts for sale, and that might be possible, though only after I get this model made. I will not try to work around the selling regulations here, and I need to make sure that I can make the casts that are needed, withn reasonable timeframe, and with reasonable price for everyone. The main trouble on the issue is, that the shipping costs from where I live are ridiculous, and I really need to check for cheaper rates.

For me, this will be at least tripple the cost for the 1/18 scale model, but I wil have to live with that...

...And, as I am purchasing Boba Fett gear shortly, this project will pale in comparison with that... Price in mind, at the very least...

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement […]

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/37016683[…]