Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By CaptCyan
chibigear wrote:I started painting the caddy white, but as I have no access to spraybooth, I need to do it at home. So, the weather does matter.. I did a quick, even spray with white on the outside, but as the spray dried, the surface of the paint cracked.. I guess that the temperature did not work with the paint... Being below -15 at the celcius scale...
Hey CB!

You really want to be at about 15 celcius or warmer for your paint not to alligator (frackel, to you :wink: ) like that.

That's one fine looking bumper you have there.
By 06VenomGT
Definitely one of the best threads! Take your time and don't rush the paint. With cold weather, if there's a place that you can paint under a carport or canopy, you can make a makeshift spray booth using a large, cardboard box turned on it's side. Try to prop the model on a turntable and heat the ambient temperature of inside the box with halogen lamps (just not too close when you're painting). By keeping the model in the box, you can rotate the car to paint all the sides while keeping it sheltered. When done spraying, close the flaps of the box a bit to at least allow for some air circulation and put the halogen lamps closer. It will dry out the humidity, dry the paint and get the temp that you need.

Sent from my DROID2 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
By chibigear
Thanks guys!

As the temperatures are dropping more and more (weather forecasts are saying it will be near -20 celcius soon here..), I cannot make much on this project, for the moment. I will, though, be actively searching for a place, any place, where I can paint this baby for you all..

Cap', that's the original bumper that came with the Eldorado... Did not do anything with it, just dropped your splendid licence plate on it, that is why it looks so good... Thanks again for those, I love them!

But, for those of you addicted to my other project, the freezing cold is promising for the Containment Unit plans... Just bear with me, I'd like to make them as precise as I can.

Thanks for tuning in...
By chibigear
For you addicts....

Got a lucky break with the weather here in Finland. The temperatures shot to minus 20 degrees celcius, and that meant no painting... But, there was a sudden snow fall, and that brought ease to the freeze. At minus 11 degrees, I could finally quicly paint the Caddy to the colour we love...

Mind you, the temperature is back to near minus 20, and forecast are saying it will plunge even colder..

I glued the window frames on the front doors, they still need a bit work, and the whole car needs a buff with steel wool, and another couple of coats of white. The left door is a bit open on this photo, that is why there is a gap on the roof and the door. Fully closed, the door sits smoothly without any open lines..

There is a full can of white primer on it at the moment, laid in three times with twenty minute interwalls. It now needs to cure fully before I will do more work on it...

I am almost temped to put the Cap's decals on it, but I think that haste is waste in this little project...
By egie
Awesome! You have made us addicts happy!

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
By chibigear
Carpeteria wrote:Wait... you're not going to leave it hot pink??!
Heh, tempting as that is, that is couple of paint layers behind... There are some pink spots on it, but they will not show..

The weather yesterday was really lucky break, it is back where is used to be, near -25 degrees celcius... Painting this now would result in a disaster...

I will let this coat of paint cure fully before continuing this project, I will try to get first sheets of Instructions and plans for the Containment Unit done this weekend. Doing two projects as accurately as one can is tedious and time consuming... And you deserve nothing less than my utmost best.

Thanks for watching, more to follow...
By Mereel
Yeah, definitely don't rush, as this project has the potential to really be amazing! Just seeing the white you've been able to apply to the car is reaaally cool!
By egie
So, hows this going? Im very excited to see this turn out!

By chibigear
egie wrote:So, hows this going? Im very excited to see this turn out!

Sorry for no updates, I decided that due to the weather outside, I will project on a hold, and resume it when the weather clears. I am making the main paintjobs on this, and applying the decals and other things that I have thanks to CapnCyan, and do an update. Still, there is either freezing cold, or snow, or drippels of water in the air, constantly. I am looking for spraybooth options, but they are a bit scarce where I live at the moment, so all my paintings are done by cans...

I am multitasking anyhow, and as the 1:1 Matty Contanment Unit plans are in the works, I am pushing that forward with a friend.

That and of course, I am making a Boba Fett costume as well, so as you might guess, my hands are a bit full...

But, this project wil resume in full speed as the spring comes...
By fedebat
Hi, It's a great job indeed! :)
Few thing I dind't get

1) Why didn't you molded with resin an entire connected body, instead redo the old metal body and the roof separately?
2) Maybe the first is cause of the second. I don't get the silicone process, I mean, If I do a silicone mold of the plasticine mold I'm not going to have "positive" part of the car not "negative"? I mean, it's not possible to resin the plasticine and then took it off?

It's not a criticism, I'm asking it because I'm going to do your same job for an old Fiat model that I need to be repaired so, I'm curious about all the process, plus I want to do molds for my proton pack, cause my paper model is going to pieces (not the body, but the gun is!) and I'm afraid to use more resin that it deserve!
Thank you :)
By chibigear
fedebat wrote:Hi, It's a great job indeed! :)
Few thing I dind't get

1) Why didn't you molded with resin an entire connected body, instead redo the old metal body and the roof separately?
2) Maybe the first is cause of the second. I don't get the silicone process, I mean, If I do a silicone mold of the plasticine mold I'm not going to have "positive" part of the car not "negative"? I mean, it's not possible to resin the plasticine and then took it off?

It's not a criticism, I'm asking it because I'm going to do your same job for an old Fiat model that I need to be repaired so, I'm curious about all the process, plus I want to do molds for my proton pack, cause my paper model is going to pieces (not the body, but the gun is!) and I'm afraid to use more resin that it deserve!
Thank you :)
Wel, well, It seems that I need to check this project again...

For you addicts, I have good news, the weather is finally turning better... As the proadcasts are 'always' correct, there should be a warm weekend ahead... Might do some grills on the caddy and give it the top coat we all have been waiting for...

As for the status of this project, I put it on hold to get it done properly, as the weather was so bad. I do my painting outside, and it certainly does not help to have snow falling on your paint... That, and the fact that I am multitasking again, a thing that is never good...

The Containment Unit project (also resuming come next weekend), a little Movie/RGB hybrid proton pack for starters on the Ghostbusters scene, and Boba Fett, Tusken Raider on the Star Wars scene.... Oh a little Boba Eeyore project on the side dish also.... All that, with work, and life... No, I do not get freetime all that much...

As to answer your questions, as far as I understand them;

1. I needed to make the metal body and roof to accomodate the new measurements on the conversion process for the Eldorado Biarriz into a Ecto - 1.

I could have made a mould of the whole car, and cast that in resin, but that would have been VERY expensive. The die cast chassis of the Biarriz model is contoured to fit the floor and engine room, with all doors, hood and trunc opening as they should. Inorder to make a resin cast from that, I would have needed to make several multipart molds, and, to be honest, it is cheaper to buy the car in metal than make it in resin... And no, selling kits from where I live is not really an option with our postal costs. It would cost nearly a hundred euro's for a car kit in resin, from Finland to international buyers, without the price of the materials. I actually IS cheaper to fly with a packet to another nearby country, rather than use the post...

2. The process of silicone molding is expensive, for a model this size. The Ecto 1 chassis is 53cm long in 1/12 scale, and that would mean that you'd need some ten litres of silicone for this. Easily going towards the sky with the price of silicone...
Also, you need support jackets for the mold, preferably fiberglass, NOT plaster bandages, as my disaster showed, and workspace..

As I am not in the market of selling kits of this model due to the shipping costs, it is cheaper and easier for me to do the car with as much original items in it. The resin would have cut down considerable amount of weight, but I rather like the fact that this model has some weight for it...

Cheers!
By fedebat
Oh, I see.
The fact that I was asking it because of the costs of silicone and resin here (in Italy) are over the top.
A resin kit (1/2 liter of stuff) it's 12,99 Euro, cheap, but I'm afraid about wasting my money if I use it in the wrong way.
I wasn't asking if your kit was for sale, but I was wondering if I could mold some parts using resin and crete.
As far as I saw the molds for resin works are all made with silicon (because it cover every detail and it's easy to detach from the resin) but here I can't find a "ready to use" jar of silicon and the other options are too expensive.
So I thought to use crete for building the mold and resin but I was wondering if that process will work and the resin will pop-off easly from the crete molds without using any other stuff.
As far as I saw from your photos, you did the same for the body part of the ecto (with plasticine instead of crete) or did I got wrong?
The other idea was to built parts in paper and then resin it, but if I do this the paper will be "trapped" into the resin and that's not what I'm looking for. It meant that I've gotta build all the time paper models, instead using molds!
I think that I've understood the two methods, am I right?

Thank you for your reply and keep up with your works :)
By chibigear
Well, there was a surprise for me as had a talk with the ladies on my apartment. There is actually a room for little sawing, and painting in my house!! And, it is only used by a single occupant!! All this time, I have been ranting about not being able to paint the Ecto model due to weather conditions, and as spring comes finally, I am told that there has been a perfect painting space, free, and available, alla year around....

Sheesh, now I only need to sort out the details with the guy that makes fishing lures there, and I can start the Ecto anew... I am multi tasking again, and I do hope to get my Boba Fett costume finished this summer, but this Ecto model is also high priority, as I have invested so much on it, and it is only so far away...

Thanks for having the patience with this, I think I can do something after the big Model Expo in the next weekend. I am supporting the local 501st there, so I really doubt that I can get work done on any models, but I'll do my best.
By chibigear
Sheesh, I feel bad for letting you down on this. I have had ample time for doing some knick knacks on this, but I haven't gotten anything done.

In a way it is nice to know that my work is so wanted, as it is my fault to keep you waiting.

Thing is, that I now have access to a workplace, of which I did not know anything about half a year ago. It really helps me with this too. I have reserved it for the rest of the week, so there should be some updates for this by weekend.

Still, it just so happens, that I did some work on this, meant to post it after I hit it with airbrush, but there are some details that are needed before giving this the paint we love. I have sanded the roof, again and again, with 400grit water sand paper, and the model is now quite smooth. Some dents and holes were also filled, and sanded again. The windows were sanded, as well as trimmed from the inside, so that the frames would not be so thick. All this work is, however, so little that I cannot get a photo of it...

The biggest single thing I have done on this, is magnetizing the roof. I used six rare earth magnets, and lined them in places where I can hide them with something.

The magnets are strong, and will keep the roof in proper place, but the roof can be taken off with ease. The magnets can almost hold the weight of the die cast chassis, but only almost... This means that I can open up the car with ease, which will come in handy later on.

As to why I am not working so much on the Ecto - 1 is this. I have pushed my Boba Fett project ahead, and it shows.

I am planning to do some work on the Ecto in this week, possibly getting the paint, both white and red on...

But, as I am working on the Fett Gauntlets at the moment too, I might get sidetracked. Sorry for that in advance.
By Daniel
Take your time! Thanks to share this. I've waiting for so long and now I see that your hands are full... but I realized you're very skilled so this just can turn better and better :)
By danbuster365
that boba fett outfit looks great also i just wanted to make sure you haddent forgot about us on here as nobody keeps this from falling down the line of posts so nobody sees this post which i think is still one of the best posts on here since it is about an ecto that will fit the mattel figures
By chibigear
Ok, now you got me going.

I have filed the doorlines and other unsightly bits off, and the Caddy is now drying, with one full can of Humbrol white on it, mixed with thinner, of course... Note that with similar can, I was able to paint the Fett armour bits in metal... So, there is many layers there... I have another can of the same white, and it will be put on there, to cover some parts I was not able to paint at the moment, and to add more thickness to the paintjob.

So, even though I have no pictures to show, and they would not differ all that much from the previous ones, I am happy to announce that the model is now officially white. There is a can of red eagerly waiting for it's turn....

In reality, though, the Caddy still needs a LOT of work. I just went through the box where every part of the model, including Cap's decals were, and to my relief, everything was there, including all four tail lights....

For those of you who know, I'd like some info on the lights shown on this picture. I am not familiar with old American cars as much as I should like, and as I am planning to do a 'proper' reply with good pictures, I would like to know more of the lighting, so I can add that to my model..

The top four lights are drive lights, that is clear, and what I remember, they are also signal lights. But does both lights flicker when turn signal is given, or just one of them?

In some screen grabs, there lights are not all on, and on some, there is different lights on, at each shot. Can anyone clarify to me why this is so?

Like in this picture:

And, is there any use on the lower lights? I have not found any pictures where they are lit..

The Maisto Caddy has nice, roomy lights, with clear covers. There is just enough room dor some 5mm super bright LEDs...

Thanks for tuning in, more to follow..
By CaptCyan
Hey CBG!

The "Drive Lights" acted as warning lights by flashing back and forth. They didn't use Directional Signals while racing through town which is most likely why they are no shown lighted. That or they didn't have any bulbs in them. :-D

BTW, the Ecto is coming along nicely, keep up the good work. :nicejobyoudid:
By chibigear
CaptCyan wrote:Hey CBG!

The "Drive Lights" acted as warning lights by flashing back and forth. They didn't use Directional Signals while racing through town which is most likely why they are no shown lighted. That or they didn't have any bulbs in them. :-D

BTW, the Ecto is coming along nicely, keep up the good work. :nicejobyoudid:
Thanks Cap! I just got back from the second layer of paint, and the next thing I am going to get is new filters for my painting mask. The old ones broke mid painting, and I now have my nostrils full of paint...

I just saw a youtube video with Ernie Hudson being carried to a meeting in Ecto mobile. It had the lowed lights on, but not the top ones...

this one, to be exact; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahyRM0eR ... re=related

I am a bit baffled with the lights. There is room for every light housing for leds, but I kinda want to know how the lights are supposed to work. I guess that there is a bunch of swithces for each light system....

Is there any official regulations in 'real' world concerning vehicle lights, or is it all the same what, if any, lights you use..

It seems that I need just to wire the lights up, and then see for the switches... Luckily there is room for the batteries, switches and everything else, this model being BIG. And there seems to be more than enough lights to go around the chassis, not to mention the roof rack...

I will now let the model dry thoroughly, before giving it a steel wool buffing. After that, the red paint.. That is work for tomorrow...

After it dries, I can show you a comparison next to my pack thrower...

Stay tuned...
By chibigear
Warnign, this might please you....

I went, straight from work, to paint the red on to the Caddy... Now, dry enough to be handled, I took it to my home, and put the other bits on, just to see how it looks.

...And, to see if I indeed have all the parts, which I do not.. The two screws holding the front bumper are missing, and the bumper is superglued in place for the moment.. No biggie, but I need to find new screws... Fortunately, nothing REALLY important was missing...

Note that the model is still in VERY raw form, and in no way ready for photoshoots, but as You all have been patient, and need a fix, here goes...

There is absolutely nothing inside, apart from under the hood. The engine is, and has always been in place...

These pictures were taken on my display shelf, which is nice for displaying this when finished, but for photographs, this is WAY too small, for a model this huge...

I need to redo the white anew, not for the subtle misting on the side as seen here, but for the roof. For some reason, the airbrush did not go as well as I'd hoped, and the finish is not smooth. Not that it would show badly under the roof rack, I still want to make the finish as good as possible. I think this deserves it.

Now, some smooth action with 0000 grade steel wool, and this looks even better. Funny how simple red detail goes a lot further on a model like this... Wonder what the silver/chrome details bring forth, not to mention the other details...

Has this appeased your appetite? Or do you want more...?

Thanks for tuning in...

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]