Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
Sort of a spoiler for those who haven't played (or seen YouTube videos from) Lego Dimensions yet.
This Post Contains Spoilers
Alex
Did I really just notice today for the first time that "Dr. Who" and the upcoming Dr. Venkman have the same hair sculpt but in different colors?

Tell me I already knew that and just forgot.

P.S.

I know, the Whovians freak out if you say the name as Dr. Who, but seeing as Pete Venkman is also a doctor, it would create a grammatical problem to say "the Doctor"-- unless you guys want me to say "a Doctor"? I could do that...

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote:I know, the Whovians freak out if you say the name as Dr. Who, but seeing as Pete Venkman is also a doctor, it would create a grammatical problem to say "the Doctor"-- unless you guys want me to say "a Doctor"? I could do that...

Alex
A lot of people take the "Doctor Who" title too seriously. "Doctor Who" is actually an appropriate title when referring to the character outside of the universe of the show. For example, "Peter Capaldi is the current Doctor Who", or "Doctor Who is a hugely iconic character in British culture" are all appropriate.

In fact, the character was even credited as "Dr. Who" in the end credits for the first sixteen years of the show (as well as the 2005 season).

Of course, in the most recent adventure, the Doctor humorously referred to himself as "Doctor Disco" and "Doctor Funkenstein"...
I keep studying these pics and seeing several little areas I plan to tweak.

On FB someone asked for a comparison of the BrickinIt Vince figure to the official Lego Louis.

I made this digital comparison from online pics...

Also did Zooly/Dana while I was at it...

Alex
Here's one thing I don't understand...They posted two photos of the building open but they are slightly different.

The one that shows the building opening shows that the front and back and one side are stationary and that one of the sides opens up. The one that shows the building totally open seems to now be missing the back of the building though. What it's showing as the back is really half of one of the sides. But these photos don't look like renders to me, they look like they are the real deal so I'm wondering why the back is missing.
I think I've figured out the answer to my own question. The back wall just folds on itself and I think the perspective of that second photo is just messing with my brain. If we have the same view as the first photo of the second photo where it's fully open I'm sure it'd make perfect sense to me.
I cannot stress how absolutely awesome this set looks, and they've really crammed in a heck of a lot of detail. They've utilised the unseen third floor to add in elements from both movies, I love it! :)

The little visual references are a treat, and the Kenner-style Firepole action is a warm shot of nostalgia in the arm.

Here's my list of tweaks once I get the kit:

1) Replace the right-hand garage door so that it matches the left-hand door (or try find black versions of the doors on the equipment lockers).
2) Enlarge the hanging sign (as long as it doesn't interfere with Ecto-1 parking in the engine bay).
3) Replacing the rather boring ceiling lights in the engine bay with approximations of the ones from the first movie, using white minifigure heads and black versions of the table legs/shelf supports.
4) Remove the strange peak above the equipment lockers (I guess it's a slight reference to the alarm board).
5) Add in some extra bricks for the engine bay flooring, bringing it up to the level of the doorway.
6) Add a second support pillar in (if there's space to do so with Ecto-1).

Funny, I've had a LEGO pool table in my Kenner Firehouse for over 15 years. :)
Alex Newborn liked this
I just squeed so loud my missus thought I was having some kind of seziure. NEW PANTS PLEASE! :D Too many details to mention, but am I right in thinking the map on the wall shows the accurate location of Hook and Ladder 8?
Smeghead wrote:am I right in thinking the map on the wall shows the accurate location of Hook and Ladder 8?
Good eye! There is a map there in the movie, but I've never really paid close attention to it. Looks like the Lego guys made it into a nice hidden joke.

Alex
That's just too awesome. Looks like next year's modular, the Brick Bank, will have to wait a few months.

EDIT: It has been confirmed on Eurobricks that the only way to fit Ecto 1 in there is to remove all the furniture from the ground floor, and even then the front doors won't open. That's a real shame. :(
HEY, wait a second! The darkroom in GB2 *is* the bathroom! They can't be on two different floors!

Ray even says "What are we supposed to do? Put our heads in the toilet?"

(And so begins the 'sour grapes' grasping at straws reasons not to buy this.)

Alex
From the order page on shop.lego.com:

"Get ready to bust some ghosts at the Firehouse Headquarters!

Recreate iconic Ghostbusters™ scenes with the 2-story Firehouse Headquarters, featuring laboratory, living quarters, containment unit and much more. Capture the ghosts with the proton packs and restore order, or solve other supernatural cases! Includes 9 minifigures: Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Janine Melnitz, Dana Barrett, Louis Tully, Library Ghost and Zombie Driver.

Includes 9 minifigures: Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Janine Melnitz, Dana Barrett, Louis Tully, Zombie Driver and Library Ghost.
Also comes with Slimer, Pink Ghost and Blue Ghost.
Slide the Ghostbusters™ heroes down the fire pole into action.
Chase the ghosts and secure them in the containment unit.
Turn the librarian old lady into a scary ghost with the double-sided face and extra wig!
Run tests on Louis in the lab to see if he’s possessed!
Suspend ghosts around the building’s exterior with attachable transparent arms. (I was wondering if they had omitted this?)
Dodge the slime oozing up through cracks in the pavement.
Accessory elements include an alarm bell, fire extinguisher, computer, phone, toolbox, tools, jars of slimes, magnifying glass, camera, camera rolls, arcade game, toaster with slime, fridge with frozen pizza, milk and cheese, and much more!
Features opening walls for easy play access.
Features over 4,600 pieces.
Ghostbusters™ minifigures come with decorated arms.
Measures over 14” (36cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 14” (38cm) deep.
With walls opened out, measures over 14” (36cm) high, 18” (46 cm) wide and 14” (38cm) deep.
Firehouse Headquarters doors can open to fit the 21108 LEGO® Ideas Ghostbusters Ecto-1 inside!"

~~~

The more I ogle these Lego pics (intentional anagram verb choice), the more impressed I am.

Like the way the 'latches' for the hinged walls are incorporated into the rooftop air conditioning unit. Although, after watching all the Lego Dimensions rooftop battle scenes, I kinda miss the Octan tank up there.

And even when they had the same ideas I've had, like putting an existing Lego dartboard onto the wall, they one-up my wildest dreams... by having that feathered headdress piece (part 30126) stuck in the wall beside it as a missed dart.

As Michael Scott pointed out to me on Facebook, we've seen three faces for Louis/Vinz so far. The 'regular' face, the glowing eyes 'possessed' face, and the chinstrap face when he's in the colander helmet. Presumably he will have two interchangeable heads.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote:Well, you only claimed it was not guaranteed. You didn't say they were sure to never be made.

Don't sweat it, though. I shudder to think how many times I've contradicted my own plans just in my proton pack thread alone.

I keep watching the Lego Dimensions clip on YouTube... it's really making me want some of the sets they snuck in. That one ice cream truck is from the Lego Movie collection.

Heck, it makes me want individual bricks. That shot of the Taxi Ghost swiping a basketball has me wondering where my Lego Shaq figure disappeared to.

~~~

I tried to take a frame from Lego Dimensions and turn it into a printable graphic for the PKE Meter...

... but my printer was just not up to the task. The green field 'blew out' to solid white, the blacks and grays ran together... the result was pretty much useless.

I'm hoping the Firehouse contains the PKE Meter for Egon (either as a decal or as a pad-printed brick) but they haven't shown it in the pics released so far. Surely some of those 4,000+ bricks could be these five?

Alex
It is possible to make a rudimentary PKE Meter in line with the other half-arsed equipment that came with the Ecto using spares from that set. Take the black handle from the Trap, clip into it a grey 'T' connector from the blue hoses, and then slide over the end of the 'T' connector one of the red studs from the Thrower (I've since found a black one of those but what I'd really like is a clear green one to simulate the screen). It's not pretty but it works. I liked the PKE that appears in Dimensions; what are the two parts other than the antennae and handle? Never been able to make that out, but if I know what to look for I'll have a rummage in the parts box!

So the Ecto doesn't fit in the Firehouse? Well, they said only three figures could fit in the Ecto but I've got all four in mine (protip- move the computer to the stretcher bay...it's not like you can fit the packs in there so you may as well use the space... I added another monitor too) so I'm sure some jiggery-pokery (that's a technical term) will sort that out. Still, you'd expect Lego to have taken into account their own Ecto when designing the Firehouse garage space...unless of course they did something as stupid as copying someone else's design, tweaking it to make it look different enough for them to claim it as their own, and then realised it didn't quite work - oh, wait...

http://www.swissgb.ch/my-statement-on-t ... dquarters/

I agree that the doors should match and the sign could be better (at least a printed tile) but TBH the only thing I'd have to do to it is replace that terrible sticker above the doors with one that says 'Hook and Ladder 8'. It's a pricey set but I have the Ecto so I'm probably going to cave in. Rather pay £250 on release than end up paying x3 price years later in eBay. Between this abd Dimensions, Lego are getting a lot of my money next year....

And finally on the subject of us Doctor Who fans taking things seriously:

Doctor Who -Serious F****** Business since 1963! (And for our American cousins, remember - it's our bloody show and you only get to watch it because we allow you to watch it) ;)
Dr_Rob_Cassidy wrote: I liked the PKE that appears in Dimensions; what are the two parts other than the antennae and handle? Never been able to make that out, but if I know what to look for I'll have a rummage in the parts box!
Part 47905 Brick 1 x 1 modified with studs on 2 sides

Part 3070b Tile 1 x 1 with groove

And just in case anyone wants to know the other parts he already knew...

Part 64657 Lightsaber hilt straight

Part 4592c03 Lever small base with light gray lever

Alex
Dr_Rob_Cassidy wrote:half-arsed equipment that came with the Ecto using spares from that set.
Cuusoo/Ideas sets don't usually get custom moulded parts (hence why Venkman and Doc Brown in the Dimensions sets have different hair compared to their counterparts in the Ecto-1/Delorean sets), so there was little chance we'd see anything like the custom Lego-scale Proton Guns and Packs that others have made.

For the scale and the parts currently available, the equipment was a reasonable approximation, and at least we got bricks with Cyclotron details printed on them.
And then there's this:

Granted if you display the HQ closed up against a cabinet or wall, not a big deal. Some that plan to include this in their layouts with modulars and other sets are upset. I'm not mad about it, but I do plan to see if I can change in without affecting the hinges or interior layout. I've got the facade I built a couple months ago that I can possibly use to mod it, as long as the colors match.

Your thoughts? Also, after seeing the interior, exterior, and accessories, what do you plan to add or modify when you get the set?

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]