Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By dr_logan
we could make the proton packs all CGI, and have moving parts that can fold and morph like transformers, and they have onboard satilite access, and PKE sensing equipment, and can turn into cool hover bikes as they ride around New York!!!!!!!!!! :boogieman:

LOL, just in case some can't tell, I'm am being sarcastic and am not serious. :walterpeck:
By nick-a-tron
the fact that the proton pack is such an iconic and well recognised design means that the makers of a 3rd film have a HUGE advantage when it comes to pleasing the fans of the original 2 movies.

The way I (and this is just my personal opinion and what I would be happy with seeing on screen) would like to see the proton pack recognised in a 3rd film would be to have an all new design which for some reason fails to be practicle or break somehow (1st fanservice payout), and then they realise that they have to go back to the original packs which of course havent changed since the 2nd film due to all the efforts being put into the new packs (2nd fan payout).

Imagine how amazing it would be to see the GB's strapping on the classic packs for the movies ultimate showdown!! I get goosebumps just thinking about it :)
dafoerder liked this
By Mjollnir
I think as far as they should take it is what they've done with the pack in the video game. Nothing fancy and sleek.
By Not404Error
I actually like that idea a lot, Nick!
By ROBOrob77
nick-a-tron wrote:the fact that the proton pack is such an iconic and well recognised design means that the makers of a 3rd film have a HUGE advantage when it comes to pleasing the fans of the original 2 movies.

The way I (and this is just my personal opinion and what I would be happy with seeing on screen) would like to see the proton pack recognised in a 3rd film would be to have an all new design which for some reason fails to be practicle or break somehow (1st fanservice payout), and then they realise that they have to go back to the original packs which of course havent changed since the 2nd film due to all the efforts being put into the new packs (2nd fan payout).

Imagine how amazing it would be to see the GB's strapping on the classic packs for the movies ultimate showdown!! I get goosebumps just thinking about it :)
Not bad...not bad at all.
By RedSpecial
ROBOrob77 wrote:
nick-a-tron wrote:the fact that the proton pack is such an iconic and well recognised design means that the makers of a 3rd film have a HUGE advantage when it comes to pleasing the fans of the original 2 movies.

Not bad...not bad at all.
sounds good to me, especialy if the new equipment resembles the EGB equipment.
By GBRD71
Krenzy wrote:
Dan AKA wrote:I don't under stand why people think the proton pack needs improvement or needs stream lining.

It's an electrical generator powered by nuclear cells that powers a particle accelerator than shoots a focused stream of protons.

What the hell do you do to imrpove something that dosn't exist smaller than a wearhouse in reality? Add a god damn i-phone to it?

Iconic designs don't need updates.
I agree 100% Dan.

So...you didn't like the game packs then?

Cuz I mean as far as improvements it seems only natural that there would be changes to the equipment to me. I mean GB2 gave us the slime blowers, the game gave us new packs with more power and new settings.

Streamlined...that's kinda weaksauce to me, but at least adding the stuff from the game, it seems almost necessary now.
By GBRD71
dr_logan wrote:we could make the proton packs all CGI, and have moving parts that can fold and morph like transformers, and they have onboard satilite access, and PKE sensing equipment, and can turn into cool hover bikes as they ride around New York!!!!!!!!!! :boogieman:

LOL, just in case some can't tell, I'm am being sarcastic and am not serious. :walterpeck:

*eye twitches* yeah...that's...funny *nerd rage growing*

lol
By Ray Stanz GB
dr_logan wrote:we could make the proton packs all CGI, and have moving parts that can fold and morph like transformers, and they have onboard satilite access, and PKE sensing equipment, and can turn into cool hover bikes as they ride around New York!!!!!!!!!! :boogieman:

maybe a coffee and cookie dispenser too!!!! lol
By GBRD71
Ray Stanz GB wrote:

maybe a coffee and cookie dispenser too!!!! lol
I think if we want to keep true to the movie it should actually be a twinkie dispenser, not a cookie dispenser, like a giant pez dispenser.
By sietsema02
GBRD71 you have made a most excelent point on this topic it does seem nessasary to add the improvments from the game and it wouldn't take much to get the non gamers on board all they would have to do is say something like, "Here are the packs with some improvments that Ray and I have been working on over the years."
By ihsanamin
25+ years have passed. The tech would have changed, gotten smaller and easier to carry.
Also, in order to be a more customer-friendly operation, the equipment should look clean, professional and less cobbled-together.

BUT as with all new tech, it's never foolproof, and I would see the old packs making a return at some point in the film.
Maybe if the original 4 have to jump into action to bail out the newbies.

Ehh...
By GBRD71
ihsanamin wrote:25+ years have passed. The tech would have changed, gotten smaller and easier to carry.
Also, in order to be a more customer-friendly operation, the equipment should look clean, professional and less cobbled-together.

BUT as with all new tech, it's never foolproof, and I would see the old packs making a return at some point in the film.
Maybe if the original 4 have to jump into action to bail out the newbies.

Ehh...

I see that as well, but the more I think about it, I really think the movie should just be an all CG movie, set somewhere in the late 90s.

I agree that the equipment should advance to a point and streamline, but when you think about it, it just doesn't seem like it would really be Ghostbusters then. The whole make-shift mad-scientist inventor look of the gear is what makes it so iconic, and setting the movie in present day would either make it unbelievable that the gear never changed, or unlikeable if it does change.

Given how they have aged (esp Bill Murray and Harold Ramis), they aren't young men anymore, and shouldn't/can't be expected to act that way anymore either, so it will inherently not have the same feel of the earlier Ghostbusters movies.

That said, I only see it working if they set it back in a specific year where they are still on the younger side(a few years after the events of the video game), but now clearly "getting too old for this," and then must pass the torch and start training new full time recruits. Perhaps a sort of "it's time to retire" kind of thing.

Then the whole "looks like we gotta bail em out" and get back in the saddle for one last job, with the old packs, since the new team has the new stuff (game packs or a another slightly new modified design, still make shift in appearance).
By Dr. Ray Stantz
I say we just wait and see what happens. Even the new equipment in the GB game (i.e. PKE Disruptor, Ghost shrinker, fast trap, proton packs) all have advancments yet remain looking throwm together. Even the newest out of the lab equipment doesn't look like it's made by apple. Egon and Ray are generally making this stuff from whats laying around and they can legally get their hands on. They're not mass producing this stuff from a Mac endorsed factory. It will look as fancy and sparkly as greasy scientists with a bits box can make it. That's that.
By Agent Gibbs
Dr. Ray Stantz wrote:I say we just wait and see what happens. Even the new equipment in the GB game (i.e. PKE Disruptor, Ghost shrinker, fast trap, proton packs) all have advancments yet remain looking throwm together. Even the newest out of the lab equipment doesn't look like it's made by apple. Egon and Ray are generally making this stuff from whats laying around and they can legally get their hands on. They're not mass producing this stuff from a Mac endorsed factory. It will look as fancy and sparkly as greasy scientists with a bits box can make it. That's that.
I agree, they made the packs from what they could get their hands on, even with more money they aren't mass produced, so any pack redesigns they could possibly have made will still be "garage science" style.
I expect the pack to be virtually the same, maybe with a slime blower since added, since its the only thing in the movies the average fan would understand.

one thing i don't want to see however is anything like the Citroen advert did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCDItBYBcE

that pack is diabolical
Last edited by Agent Gibbs on August 12th, 2009, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Dan AKA
People who say the tech would get smaller need to not participate in this discussion anymore.

The proton packs were not computers, think of them more like industrial handhelds, and the fact that we can still get several source parts for the pack (because they're still in use today) indicated the damn things would not get smaller.

I'd like to see Game Pack continuity I suppose, maybe just as a back ground piece, but less lights.
By GBRD71
Agent Gibbs wrote:
one thing i don't want to see however is anything like the Citroen advert did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCDItBYBcE

that pack is diabolical
At least they got the proton stream right...

I don't know how the hell they came up with that design...but if we see something like that in the movie, I'm walking out of the theater, which is what I should've done with GI JOE
By Agent Gibbs
GBRD71 wrote:
Agent Gibbs wrote:

that pack is diabolical
At least they got the proton stream right...

I don't know how the hell they came up with that design...but if we see something like that in the movie, I'm walking out of the theater, which is what I should've done with GI JOE
I have no idea how they did it just looks wrong, i think the only similarity is the stream effects and it looks like its on an A.L.I.C.E pack.

look like a apple mac crossed with a leaf blower and a plasma sphere

If the new movie uses anything like that i'll be mortified
By Meph
GBRD71 wrote:, I'm walking out of the theater, which is what I should've done with GI JOE
Why, because you can't suspend reality for even just 2 hours?

GI Joe was a perfect representation of the ****ty cartoon. Absolutely perfect! I watched that movie and thought it was just like the 80's toon. The cartoon was terrible and so wasn't the movie. That's what makes them great! If you even DARE try to find good acting or plot/story with any of the cartoons or this movie and the future movies that are about to come... then you just don't get it.

And Knowing is Half the Battle!
By GBRD71
Meph wrote:
GBRD71 wrote:, I'm walking out of the theater, which is what I should've done with GI JOE
Why, because you can't suspend reality for even just 2 hours?

GI Joe was a perfect representation of the ****ty cartoon. Absolutely perfect! I watched that movie and thought it was just like the 80's toon. The cartoon was terrible and so wasn't the movie. That's what makes them great! If you even DARE try to find good acting or plot/story with any of the cartoons or this movie and the future movies that are about to come... then you just don't get it.

And Knowing is Half the Battle!
I actually had a well thought out response to this, but then I realized that you admitted to liking the movie. Enough damage has been done here... I don;t need to contribute.

Have fun suspending reality...and standards.
By Ghostbuster-Adem84
I believe the proton packs will remain within the same design, cept for a few "add ons". Add ons that we probably never heard of and most likely will find either "annoying" or "bad ass cool!" As a fan we find these new inventions a threat cause no one inlove with what ever franchise wants to see or hear of change. So if the writters actually read these forums or the thousands of emails/letters they will do their best to combine our fears into something we consider might be acceptable. And that is what im guessing is going to eventually happen with this proton pack topic. Anyone else thinking the same?
By Meph
GBRD71 wrote:
Meph wrote:Have fun suspending reality...and standards.
Standards. Like the 1984 FCC Regulations which were lobbied to be de-regulated so that Companies can legally make a TV show based off of their toy franchises in order to constantly free of charge market their toys to children with nationally syndicated 1/2 hour commercials..errrrrrrrr.... cartoon shows?

Those standards?

See I actually recognize these movies and shows for what they are. Giant corporate marketing gimmicks with explosions and entertainment. Just a little FYI the original 1986 movies for Transformers and GI Joe had the EXACT same plot line. They were going to be essentially the same movie, only 1 had transforming robots. However the reaction to actually killing Optimus Prime had such a backlash they didn't expect that they hastily changed the GI Joe movie before its release. It was actually supposed to come out either before or same time as Transformers: The Movie but it didn't. So Duke originally was going to be dead also. Only good luck bringing HIM back to life! :D

And they didn't kill off the characters like Prime, Iron Hide, or them because it'd be a riveting story, or because they wanted to show people overcoming severe obstacles to triumph over evil. No. They did it because they had a new line of toys to sell and they wanted to kill off the old characters so the new ones had better sales. Not joking the guys behind these movies have admitted this. They weren't trying to nurture your childhood, it was just brilliant marketing. That is it. Just marketing and toy sales.

You want a heart felt inspiration that moves you on the inside? You're looking in the wrong place and you have no reason to look for those here. These are not meant now and NEVER have been meant for anything other than bright eye candy and cheap popcorn rollercoaster thrills. I understand this and expect nothing else. And that's what they delivered, which is awesome.

Oh, and The Ballad of G.I. Joe!
By GBRD71
Meph wrote:
Standards. Like the 1984 FCC Regulations which were lobbied to be de-regulated so that Companies can legally make a TV show based off of their toy franchises in order to constantly free of charge market their toys to children with nationally syndicated 1/2 hour commercials..errrrrrrrr.... cartoon shows?

Those standards?

See I actually recognize these movies and shows for what they are. Giant corporate marketing gimmicks with explosions and entertainment. Just a little FYI the original 1986 movies for Transformers and GI Joe had the EXACT same plot line. They were going to be essentially the same movie, only 1 had transforming robots. However the reaction to actually killing Optimus Prime had such a backlash they didn't expect that they hastily changed the GI Joe movie before its release. It was actually supposed to come out either before or same time as Transformers: The Movie but it didn't. So Duke originally was going to be dead also. Only good luck bringing HIM back to life! :D

And they didn't kill off the characters like Prime, Iron Hide, or them because it'd be a riveting story, or because they wanted to show people overcoming severe obstacles to triumph over evil. No. They did it because they had a new line of toys to sell and they wanted to kill off the old characters so the new ones had better sales. Not joking the guys behind these movies have admitted this. They weren't trying to nurture your childhood, it was just brilliant marketing. That is it. Just marketing and toy sales.

You want a heart felt inspiration that moves you on the inside? You're looking in the wrong place and you have no reason to look for those here. These are not meant now and NEVER have been meant for anything other than bright eye candy and cheap popcorn rollercoaster thrills. I understand this and expect nothing else. And that's what they delivered, which is awesome.

Oh, and The Ballad of G.I. Joe!
all that writing and I didn't even read it. Hope it was worth the time.
By Dr. Ray Stantz
The acsting in the Blaad of GI Joe is better than that of the actual movie to some extent. That and the celebrity cameos are great. However we're not here to talk about that.
By GBRD71
Dr. Ray Stantz wrote:The acsting in the Blaad of GI Joe is better than that of the actual movie to some extent. That and the celebrity cameos are great. However we're not here to talk about that.
thank you.

Back to the pack, someone mentioned that they hopefully read these forums for input. Does anyone know if they've ever mentioned doing that for Ghostbusters? As in the actors/game developers?
By Ecto-ASH
The low tech of Ghostbusters was what made it special, Mr Ramis said it himself. considering that Dan Aykroyd was the creative consultant on the game and also considers it as a third instalment, there will be no way he'll let anyone f#ck with the new design for the next gen. I trust that whatever design gets the thumbs up by Dan will be kick ass, hence why we are all here.

If it was up to me....
same shell, less wires, slime blower and tether attachment, shock blast and stasis beam capabilities and a place to attach a ghost trap (like rgb)
and maybe a new function that keeps shorting out or shocking the wise cracking new recruit... for gags.

PKE, would have to be like the game menu, digital pda style
By Martog
Dan AKA wrote:People who say the tech would get smaller need to not participate in this discussion anymore.

The proton packs were not computers, think of them more like industrial handhelds, and the fact that we can still get several source parts for the pack (because they're still in use today) indicated the damn things would not get smaller.

I'd like to see Game Pack continuity I suppose, maybe just as a back ground piece, but less lights.
I'd have to agree here. I don't think in reality that we would see a particle accelerator that would fit on someone's pack even this point in time. I mean the Hadron Collider itself is huge, so the Ghostbusters being able to fit an acclerator on their back is amazing, let alone have something that small to contain the radiation and heat of the nuclear aspect.

Smaller packs will just not happen. I'm sure they could change the design but I wouldn't expect them to be any smaller and honestly I'd want them to really be no more than what the game packs are. And yeah the gamepacks were a little flashy I think. I couldn't figure out what the big red light at the top was for...I saw it blink sometimes.
By Pagz
It seems to me there's room for both in the film. We're talking about Ray and Egon here, you know they haven't been sitting around doing nothing. They're tinkerers. They're going to be constantly coming up with new shit to make their jobs easier. They're going to be improving things, or making things more effective. Does that mean the classic packs can't be in the film? f*** no, but let's be realistic about the reality of the movie universe. There will be new proton packs, and they may or may not look like the classic packs. And there's nothing wrong with that. That's part of what I want to see as a Ghosthead. I want to see all the spiffy new gadgets they've devised to help them bust ghosts. I want to know how they're handling being a franchise. Do they have generic proton packs that they sell to their franchisees? Have they been coming up with newer, heavier duty packs designed to take more abuse? I'd be surprised if all the Ghostbusters have done for the past 20 years is sit on their laurels.

I think there's room in the Ghostbusters universe for more than one style of proton pack. I mean come on, GBII gave us the slime blower, and we all know how divided people are over that thing. Some love it, some hate it. That's always going to happen. The third movie will be no different. You'll have the purists who can't stomach the natural evolution of their beloved GB universe and require everything to remain static/stagnant, and there'll be those who ooh and ahh at the new stuff and get giddy when they see the old stuff too. And then there'll be the people who shrug at the new stuff, don't care for the designs, and just enjoy the movie for what it is.

I personally am hoping for a really wide variety of proton packs. I want to see custom jobs from different franchises. I love the original packs, but most of all I love geeking out over technology, so I'll be excited to see new and different packs as well. Hell, I have a whole sketchbook full of pack designs I've come up with over the years, all based on different ideas about how the technology would evolve, some retaining that home made look, others looking more manufactured and mass produced going along the train of though that GBI has become a multi-billion dollar corporation. They're fun design experiments. I'd hate to deny the production artists of the new movie the fun of finding their own way with the proton packs.

Anyway, that's what I think. And now, just to piss of the purists, here's a doodle I did of an "updated" proton pack :P

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]