Improv Everywhere, the group that brought us hilarious missions such as the No Pants Subway Ride, Spontaneous Musicals, Human Mirror and Frozen Grand Central Station has posted their latest antics.

For our latest mission, we brought the movie Ghostbusters to life in the reading room of the main branch of the New York Public Library. The 1984 movie begins with a scene in the very same room, so we figured it was time for the Ghostbusters to make an encore appearance. Enjoy the video first and then go behind-the-scenes with the photos and report below.

Thank to below_radar_00 & venkmans_girl for the heads up.
It was mildy amusing and if I were actually there it would have brought some spontaneous laughs. I think this video is slightly funnier

njukgb wrote:I would like the 3 1/2 minutes of my life back. They could have, at least, reached out to the community to have some authentic looking equipment and guy instead of the cheesy halloween costumes.
Well that was my first thought. But the fact that a group got into the NY public library, a supposedly very "shooshing" place, and played this unshooshable play too a full room is very comendable :). I'm happy to see the movie honored and remembered this way. For once it was the ghosts that left the library running. And this made special sense to new yorkers, perhaps.

But this sketch was a copycat from something I saw sometime ago in a college classroom (and in that, faithful prop replicas were used). If I could suggest one thing it would be... making some spooky ghosts, not bed sheet costumes! Make people unconfortable by looking at them. Perhaps someone with a livid skin in some old time costume. A XIX century library reader. A early XX century librarian ;) covered in dust. And then make the ghostbusters pop in :). Properly dressed next time!

Cheers
Loved it. Nicely done IE.
It would have been nice if they'd used proper suits, but it would have been impossible to get a pack through security. (I assume they have security like they do at the Boston library.)

Hm, that gives me an idea... A pop-up pack made from cardboard or plastic which could fit in a backpack. :-)

Anyway I'm surprised security didn't say anything or kick the ghosts out before they even got started.
GhostGuy wrote:Anyway I'm surprised security didn't say anything or kick the ghosts out before they even got started.
Look at the behind the scenes. The security guard is CRACKING UP laughing at these guys.

They actually had permission to do this from the library. They were invited in to do one of these missions.

I do think you guys need to lighten up as usual. Maybe this wasn't made for you. Maybe it isn't what you find enjoyable because you are a super fan. The video has 80,000 views in just 1 day now... these guys are very popular.

Its not meant to be super funny. The way these things work out is someone posts somewhere saying we need this many people to show up at x location dressed like y... and random people show up and then they learn what the mission is.

A great one is where they put up a message, show up at this park. Everyone is asked to wear a dark blue polo shirt and khaki pants. Lots of people showed up.. and then they said.. now everyone walk into Best Buy in Times Square and they did. Then.. just stand around at the end of every aisle and see if they could get customers to talk to them.

Not funny.. but pretty damn cool.
njukgb wrote:I would like the 3 1/2 minutes of my life back. They could have, at least, reached out to the community to have some authentic looking equipment and guy instead of the cheesy halloween costumes.
Maybe THAT was part of the bit and what made it so funny? LOL :)
It would have been nice if they'd used proper suits
That's exactly what I thought when they first walked through the door. However, after watching the whole thing, the video has kinda grown on me. It's stupid and kinda childish, but they filmed in the New York Public Library for crying out loud. Not the best fan film I've ever seen, but it put a smile on my face, as well as a bunch of people in the library apparently, so I'd say mission accomplished. Good job guys! :cool:
I was thinking about this today and realized it's easy for us to criticize because we've all got suits and packs sitting somewhere in our house ready to put on at a whim. My assumption is that they probably had no idea where to obtain more "accurate" outfits...but I can't help but think a few simple searches would have landed them here and I'm sure folks in NY would have helped out with their kits to make this more fun. Oh well....seems like everyone had fun and it's a pretty popular vid.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]