By whiteboygus
Okay, there was a renaissance fair around here a few months back, and it gave me an awesome idea! How cool would it be to make a Ghostbuster costume set in medieval times? Well, I did my research... and there was no help whatsoever online on any equipment used to exorcise demons... Until "Ghostbusters: Displaced aggression"

So I got the idea to build a Proton pack (and other props) off the drawings in the comics!! Unfortunately...

These are the ONLY pictures I had to go on from the whole comic...

But here's What I came up with for a pack:

The "Neutrona Sword" I guess you'd call it:

A Trap:

And Ecto Goggles:

I'll update with pics of the build and upload pics of the costume too.
Last edited by Kingpin on September 1st, 2010, 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.Reason: Fixed coding
Oh, Sorry about all the jumble with HTML guys. Here's the pics:

"So I got the idea to build a Proton pack (and other props) off the drawings in the comics!! Unfortunately...

These are the ONLY pictures I had to go on from the whole comic...

But here's What I came up with for a pack:

The "Neutrona Sword" I guess you'd call it:

A Trap:

And Ecto Goggles:

I'll update with pics of the build and upload pics of the costume too.

And YES, the first post was an EXTREME fail... Sorry
I work at a couple of renfaires every year here in Texas and I've often pondered the possibilities of making a ghostbuster that would fit in with the other costumes... but I decided against it.

But before I decided not to go through with it, I had abandoned the idea of a "proton pack" type weapon entirely, opting instead for a large backpack of scrolls, potions, artifacts and whatever occult mumbo jumbo would make the outfit look more legit, including a banner with "Ye Olde Spirit Catcher" written on it. Possibly a staff weapon, and a ghostbusters-esque crest on my surcoat... maybe even a small cage to hang off the backpack as a trap...

But like I said, abandoned the idea due to impracticality and just general disinterest. Although I've been thinking of a way to make Gambit from the X-men comics fit in pretty well in a renfaire setting.
By Kingpin
...because the rest of us we all BBCode experts when we first joined the internet. :sigh:

Given the developments people have made in building real-world versions of the videogame Proton Pack, the arm-mounted Pack from Tainted Love and so on, it'll be interesting to see what you're able to achieve for Ray's medieval Proton Pack, although the sword does seem to be quite a challenge.
By EctoDeath
My only concern is that if you actually took such a prop to a renaissance faire, you wouldn't be allowed to remove the sword from it's scabbard at all unless it was made of wood or fiberglass or something. Some faires will kick you out the moment they realize your metal weapons aren't securely peace-tied. But if that wasn't your intention, then by all means get started so we can see what you come up with!
By GhostGuy
Well, if he wants the sword to glow, then it would kinda have to be made out of plastic. I bet you could find some plastic swords designed to glow online actually. That would save you the trouble of trying to forge the blade at least. :-)
By whiteboygus
The pack is going to be made completely of wood, and PVC pipes. The cyclonotron lights will either glow or flicker (to imitate fire), the beaker on top will be filled with a green liquid and glow from the bottom. I plan on putting a small smoke machine as well, in the comic, Ray made it run off steam. Also, the trap and ecto goggles will be made mostly of wood.

As for the sword, I was thinking of just buying a wooden practice sword and modifying it to look as close to the comic as possible. However, The thought had crossed my mind to buy a plastic glowing sword... But all I've found on eBay that were large enough were Lightsabers... And I have no idea how to shape acrylic, EctoDeath... :whatever:
whiteboygus wrote:the beaker on top will be filled with a green liquid and glow from the bottom
This is an interesting project...It would also be cool if the liquid bubbled, like with an aquarium bubble thingy..what is it like a filter or something?
By whiteboygus
enchanted unicorn wrote:
whiteboygus wrote:the beaker on top will be filled with a green liquid and glow from the bottom
This is an interesting project...It would also be cool if the liquid bubbled, like with an aquarium bubble thingy..what is it like a filter or something?
I plan on making it bubble by making into some sort of analog of one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_light
By whiteboygus
Okay guys, I figured out how to make the vial on the upper left side of the pack have one of two effects:

-A lava lamp-type effect, or
-Bubbles

Both are going to glow green, but I don't know which to choose! :whatever:

The Lava lamp effect would save me both money and time, and the process would be A LOT simpler.. Not to mention the fact I can avoid worrying if the seals will leak...but the bubbling effect would look cooler... What should I do?
By BSjohnson
I say bubbles. It may be more difficult, but the end result will look better. I think it would look cheesy and less "period" with a lava lamp
By whiteboygus
BSjohnson wrote:I say bubbles. It may be more difficult, but the end result will look better. I think it would look cheesy and less "period" with a lava lamp

However, I found that if you add turpentine to the mix, it makes the "lava" form small goo bobbles that move quickly in the lamp. Still deciding though...
I'm a little disappointed my fabulous bubbles comment didn't get moved over here...let me take care of that....
the amazingly sexy enchanted unicorn wrote:both are cool, but bubbles move fast, and thus are more dazzling. Yes, the bubbles are fabulous!
whiteboygus wrote:Okay, I found out if I put Dichloro Methane in the bottle and light it from underneath... It will bubble. This seems like an easier solution than an aquarium bubbler, however, the chemical is really hard to come by.
that sounds dangerous..but I'm certainly no chemicologist.
By whiteboygus
ECTO-DMC wrote:howabout something like thesehttp://www.gunthergifts.com/lamiglkeychf.html its a battery operated sparkel lava lamp. Im sure you could ramp it up to make it a size that would fit nice.

Cameron
Well, the glitter (no offense) might look a little silly. BUT, I am trying to find something like this. Kinda like a lava lamp but with bubbles, I already have an idea for a flask, I just want an easy way to make it bubble. So if anyone can find something like what's in Cameron's link, only with bubbles, It'd be awesome!
By whiteboygus
*Update!*

Okay, I've purchased about 70-80% of the parts I need to build the pack. I haven't yet started building yet, but I will update with pics as soon as I start.

However, I have decided that I will use an aquarium bubbler for the bottle in the corner. It will look pretty close to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a93d34BU ... re=related

I will start the build sometime this week, in the meantime... I have to design my uniform... :cool:
whiteboygus wrote:OH NOES!!
I JUST realized... What would the PKE meter look like?? There is no mention of it in the comic, so it kinda slipped my mind...
worry about that after you finish the pack... I want to see the bubbler going on your pack
By whiteboygus
enchanted unicorn wrote:
whiteboygus wrote:OH NOES!!
I JUST realized... What would the PKE meter look like?? There is no mention of it in the comic, so it kinda slipped my mind...
worry about that after you finish the pack... I want to see the bubbler going on your pack

HAHA! You're really obsessed with that bubbler! Lol :lol:
By whiteboygus
Okay, Here's the prototype I came up with for the Bubbler. (There is no food coloring in the water)

When I put it in the Pack, the pump will be running off less power, and the bubbles will be smaller and less frequent. But I think this will look really cool with some blue food coloring.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]