Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Mr. D.
What is Egon holding? I assume its a tiny calculator? Sine he is showing Ray results from his calculations of interests rates.

cmcanall liked this
By Mr. D.
Coover5 wrote:Almost makes me think of an old wrist calculator with the wrist band removed.

Good call.

By John Stevens 87
Hope there's a fan who can tell me what make of calculator Spengler has in the first movie.thank you ;)
By Coover5
I thought it was more square too but watch the way he holds it. In the pictures the angles make it seem smaller than it is.
By Mr. D.
devilmanozzy wrote:Nope, I think it is more square...

Maybe that will help a bit. I want to know too. :cool:

There are different models, shapes, colors, sizes of wrist calculators. The one I posted was just an example.

Here's another.

In the first pic you post, you can see him flipping the switch on the side. Look at th epics I posted you can see similar switches.
By irrelevanttomfoolery
It does look like the Edmund Scientific 1945 model but it would need to be smaller..

I'm thinking it's the Ragen Microelectronic Calculator:

By PinkGloom
What an interesting thread! I love these wrist calculators :) Miss the 80's
By gboy6
I think its a Casio Micro Mini.

ImageImage
It's about the right size.

ImageImageImage
And it does have the black stripe on the side the black circle in the back.

But according to this site http://www.casio-calculator.com/Museum/ ... -mini.html there are several different versions, so I don't know which version to narrow it down to.

Some one help me confirm this.
JoeLuna33, Alex Newborn, devilmanozzy and 1 others liked this
By Alex Newborn
Very cool ID, good eye. I'll have to add that to my list of eBay searches now!

I followed the link and browsed the other styles, this one with a flip-top lid would be pretty cool as well...

In keeping with Egon's description in the original script as a 'New Wave Mr. Spock', the resemblance to a Star Trek communicator is nifty.

Alex
By devilmanozzy
Alex Newborn wrote:Here are some pics of a Casio Micro-Mini M-810, trying to pose them like the film frames seen earlier in this thread.

Alex
Wow, no doubt as far as the back and sides at least. Very cool discovery.
By Alex Newborn
By the way, the Casio Micro-Mini runs off a button-cell battery, the same kind used in the recalled Hardee's Ghost Blasters.

Alex
By cmcanall
I know this is an old thread, but I have a followup question on the previous discussions and research: do we know for sure this small calculator was an 810 or is there any chance that it was an 811?

I ask because the backs appear to be the same on both and I'm not sure there are any clear shots of the front side in the movie.

I look forward to hearing what folks have to say about this.
By Coover5
By doing a quick google search (so this may be wrong) it seems the 811 is permanently in a case. There doesn't seem to be one in the film. Also the one Egon uses has a black trim so even if the took the lid off the 811 they would have had to put the trim on it. Seems more likely it was just an 810.
By Alex Newborn
I forgot about this thread. Thanks to it being bumped back up, I thought you guys might get a kick out of this video.

I didn't take a lot of props with me on my pilgrimage to NYC in 2014, but the Casio Micro Mini was small enough to make the trip.

That's what Spengler's POV would have been... walking on THAT sidewalk, in 1984.

And yeah, I even did the math correctly with the 19% for five years. (Which was part of why I was talking so slow as I multi-tasked-- calculating, walking, talking, and filming.)

That vid doesn't really show the movie viewpoint, though, so enjoy this also, shot moments earlier on that same sidewalk.

Alex
cmcanall liked this
By cmcanall
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Coover5, thank you for your response.

Below is an 811 on eBay and it is not in a case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382092347757

The back of it, as far as I can tell, looks identical to the 810. The same goes for the black trim on the side.

Given all of this, coupled with the fact that I haven't seen screenshots from the movie showing the front side of the calculator Egon is holding, I'm not sure how we can know for certain it is an 810 rather than an 811.

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Chris
By cmcanall
Alex, love the video, as well as your passion for tracking down and collecting the more obscure props in the films.

Can you shed any light on the question of whether Egon is holding an 810 or 811?

Chris
By cmcanall
Looking further, it seems like it could have even been the M-800. All three (M-800, M-810, M-811) have nearly identical bodies, except for the buttons in the top row where the power button is. The M-811 appears to be the only one with the option of a case. Here's a picture of various versions of all three:

http://www.casio-calculator.com/Museum/ ... -mini.html

I've rewatched the film footage. The scene with this calculator begins about 15 minutes into the movie and there is no instance where we see the front of the calculator.

That being said, presuming the character Egon would have needed to power on the calculator before using it, the first place he puts his finger down is on the left side of the calculator. This would make the M-810 the most "realistic" fit within the story with its power button being on the left, even if this can never be proved for certain and the actual prop still could easily have been the M-800 or M-811 (for all we know, Harold Ramis may have been pushing random buttons).

Here's the screenshot I took of the first time Egon puts his finger on the calculator:

http://imgur.com/gallery/wCvox
By Coover5
cmcanall wrote:Coover5, thank you for your response.

Below is an 811 on eBay and it is not in a case...

It is not an 811. It's a version five M-800 (I'm pretty sure that's the version) based on the website you listed with all the calculators. All the M-811's had red power buttons.
By cmcanall
If the Casio-Calculator.com museum website is correct and those are the only 7 versions of the Casio Micro-Mini, then yes, you are correct that it can't be the M-811. I didn't look at this museum website closely enough earlier, but according to it, the M-811 only comes in a case, like you said earlier. Given this additional information, I'm guessing the eBay listing I shared earlier is mislabelled as an "M-811" when in fact it is version 1 of the M-800.

That being said, with the M-811 ruled out, I think the calculator in the movie could still very well be any of the following:

- M-800, Version 1
- M-800, Version 5
- M-810

Looking at these from the side and back, the bodies are all essentially identical. The only difference when looking from the side or back is a slight variation in the metallic color. Both M-800s (both versions 1 and 5) appear to have the same silver color, while the M-810 has a silver color with perhaps a trace of yellow or gold in it. Even so, I'm not sure this color difference is so significant that we can easily say that the calculator in the movie is one shade of silver over the other.
By cmcanall
Wish I had come across this GBFans wiki page sooner:
Casio Micro Mini Calculator
The Casio Micro Mini is a calculator used by Egon to figure out the interest rate on Ray's house, in the scene where Peter, Ray, and Egon sell Ray's house to start up Ghostbusters

Models
Although it has been identified as the Casio Micro Mini, there are several different models and finishes, of which it could be. As seen here It could either be the M-800 (with the smooth silver finish, not the speckled or the holographic ones) or the M-810. The most notable differences between the two models is the location of the on/off switch. The M-800 has the on/off switch on the front and the M-810 has the switch on the side.

https://www.gbfans.com/wiki/Casio_Micro_Mini_Calculator
This is the same conclusion I've come to. We can never really be certain which of three options (two M-800s, one M-810) was used as the prop, since we only see the back and side of the calculator in the movie.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]