Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By castewar
There's an old property called Mars Attacks (go watch the Tim Burton film for a basic taste) - IDW has the license and is squaring them off against all their other titles. Like Mars Attacks Popeye. Or in this case, Mars Attacks The Real Ghostbusters. But yeah, no other details yet.
By Kingpin
Deeply intriguing, although the sort of horror content of Mars Attacks seems a tad too much for Ghostbusters. Zombies were one thing, but aliens with heat rays that vaporise your flesh? Not so sure...

Still, intriguing it's listed as The Real Ghostbusters.
By Scottb
I just pooped myself. I'm enjoying the new Mars Attacks on going series. This is going to be epic. Does anyone know if its a one shot or a mini series? Either way, I can't wait!
By Kingpin
I'm excited to see IDW's take on RGB, will be fun seeing all those familiar locales and equipment rendered in 21st Century comic imagery, assuming an appropriate artist is selected (I got the mini comic today, and the art was a little lacking).
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham wrote:There are five "Mars Attacks IDW" books, one for each week of January (all one-shots.)

Popeye, KISS, RGB, week four announced today, week five tomorrow.

Thus ends my knowledge. (:
Thanks, Mr. Burnham. Hmm, neat. Kind of like an Infestation cross over event. But yeah, the "The Real" part of RGB is the raiser of thy eyebrow. I'm sure a lot were excited by that RGB Omnibus announcement last month-ish. This seems like cause for more optimism. :cool:
By Fritz
http://www.stillplayingwithtoys.com/php ... 075#p25075

Confirmation that Tristan Jones isn't involved with this either:
No, sorry guys. Not involved. Most you'll see me doing on Ghostbusters after #16 is a cover from time to time.. (I think... next year's gonna be kinda busy for me... at least how it looks right now)
By philmorgan81
The Prospect of a whole new story involving RGB is pretty neat, but to top it off have it be a crossover with Mars Attacks. Just Blows my mind. I hope this does well enough to open new doors for the franchise. I really didn't expect anything like this, it's a pretty awesome time to be a Ghostbusters Fan. Speaking of Crossovers, I know that this is really unlikely, but I think it would be cool if somehow IDW got the rights to the Filmations Ghostbusters. That way we could see a cross over between the 2 teams. I'm a way bigger fan of the Ghostbusters Movies and RGB Series, but I enjoyed the Filmation Ghostbusters for all it's campy goodness. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that would get a kick out of seeing this, I've just always wanted to see the Filmation team get schooled in Ghostbusting. Either way I'm curious to see what develops.

Sorry for being so long winded here guys. :):):)
By Erik Burnham
Thing about crossovers is it wouldn't matter if both properties were licensed by IDW.

That is to say, for example, both GI Joe and Ghostbusters are at IDW.

If I pitched a crossover (bear with me) first, IDW would have to think it was a good idea (ie, would it make money?) And then both Sony and Hasbro would have to be convinced (would it make money -- and be consistent with how we want to exploit our brand?) And then lawyers would need to take time for the terms of the two properties sharing page space - everything from who gets how much of the take to how many print runs it gets to what formats it can or cannot be collected in and dozens of other points.

It's a long process.

(I paraphrased the process from how it was explained me. Believe me, I asked about crossingsover -- in general terms -- way back. Before Ghostbusters, even! I was curious. And, admittedly, wanted/still want to pitch some crossovers!) (:
By philmorgan81
HA! HA! Thanks for the explanation Erik. That's pretty interesting. Like I said I'm probably the only one that would get a kick out this, so more than likely all parties involved may not find it marketable. I am now very Intrigued at the crossovers you were interested in pitching though.

Thanks Again Erik, I always enjoy your insight. You are Awesome sir!

:):):)
By Chace
I think this is great and hilarious for a completely random reason!

There's a nerdcore rapper named MC Lars...I have the sticker for his new album on the rear bumper of my Ectomobile...this is what it looks like.

In fact here's a shot of me and Lars after a show of his in Atlanta

Fun fact: My ecto is autographed on the drivers sun visor by mc chris, MC LARS, MegaRandom, and Ernie Hudson.

But back on topic, I always enjoyed the humor of Mars Attacks and I think it'll blend in with the Ghostbusters universe pretty nicely.
By Erik Burnham
I met MC Lars briefly at VANS Warped Tour last year. Got a big kick out of a couple of his songs. We only chatted briefly and never talked comics.

As for the explanation on crossovers, I figured it couldn't hurt to throw out there, since it's something that gets asked a lot!
By mrmichaelt
Writer-Artist announcement from NYCC

Hey so some guy named Erik Burnham is writing this comic! heh. It's in good hands. Art by Jose Holder, I believe he was the New Years Cover for #5 or #6 on the ongoing series.

EDIT: Erik Burnham provided some more info here

And Holder is drawing it currently.

The Rob Guillory "Mars Attacks CHEW" and the Mike Allred "Mars Attacks Madman" incentive covers will also be attached to this one-shot.

Preview of the Ray Dillon cover
By Fritz
Erik Burnham kinda did pull this over on us, didn't he?

http://www.ectozone.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 4487#p4487
Devilmanozzy wrote:Erik Burnham: The Fanpage: "I can't comment on whether or not you're in the right dimension, but hey -- I swiped this from IDW Publishing's page FAIR AND SQUARE, so I assume it is for real! (;"

From: http://www.facebook.com/ErikBurnhamFanP ... 2978845417

That suggests that Erik Burnham is not involved in it.
I guess his post fooled Ozzy and a bunch of the rest of us :lol:

I'm looking forward to this even more than I was before. Which would probably surprise nobody.
By Erik Burnham
Heh. Just didn't want to jump the gun.

Funny thing -- I've tried to avoid anything outright that's been done before, but I've missed enough episodes of RGB that it's bitten me a time or two. (For example? I laughed when folks started mentioning Robo-Buster and I looked it up.) (;

I was looking for something I could use specifically for another story, actually... one of the two we're kicking off next year with. (:

Ah well! That's enough teasing for now!
By mrmichaelt
I was reading through Issue #16, of the ongoing series, again and it dawned on me as I peered at the ads at the end...of all the comics to have an ad for Mars Attacks The Real Ghostbusters at the back of the comic, #16 would have been a perfect candidate.

Something like: 'If you like the ongoing, you'll like this one shot by the same writer coming in January 2013!' :whatever:
By mrmichaelt
References
*Got a kick out of renaming CBS and Orson Welles. On another level, it fits with RGB because they used to do that all the time on the show (for example Macy's was Stacy's).
*Peter throwing out Nutcracker references in the Kool O Kids shop - "something Sugar Plum!" and his "Sigh. The universe hates me" were hilarious.
*Nice mini-nod to Dan Aykroyd with Ray's line about being interested in aliens before ghosts
*Dug the Jersey Devil mention.
*Though his interstitals are much maligned on the Time Life DVD sets, it was cool seeing the Icon Ghost twice in the comic.
*Laughed at this Egon suggesting explosives, that Erik!
*Ending was pretty funny, kinda Twilight Zone-ish 'cept a Martian ghost instead of a Gremlin.
*Pretty sweet the back cover sneaked in mention of the Boogeyman, Samhain, and Sandman.

I'm not all that familiar with the Mars Attacks franchise so I guess the Martians getting nailed by a meteor or the self-destruct sequence kicking in decades later was part of that franchise's humor and charm?

Didn't really want to look for continuity but I did anyway and got confused. The covers stipulate it's a story in 1986 but Janine's design was her season 5 design which was post-1989 Vigo incident.

Coloring was sort of flat, could be a little brighter to match the show but after 16 issues of the great job by Luis Delgado, I'm likely biased at this point.
Bernie Fishnotes wrote:So, nobody's bought or read this?
I felt kinda bad if I posted 3 times in a row, heh.

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last m[…]

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dolla[…]