For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
By xoxLettermanxox
Idk If it was just me, or if this is true, but to me Bill Murray didn't talk as much as I thought he would and should have in the wii game. Even in the scene where he was kidnapped and then retrieved, you don't hear any input from Peter, and he is the one who makes all the jokes and stuff. The only times he really spoke was in the beginning and when he was with the girl. Whenever there was a job to do the others went and peter had an excuse to be with the girl. Idk if that was in the creativity and character of Peter, but it was lame to me. I think Peter should have talked a lot more.

I was wondering if anyone else agrees, and if there was any particular reason to why he didn't say much.
By Pseudodonn7
There are a lot of factors to consider about this.

To me, Peter's role in the game wasn't really diminished at all. It may seem like it was, but really it's not. I think he got just as much screentime, gametime, and quotes as anyone else. Maybe even moreso since he talks in almost EVERY major cutscene.

Why is he often absent, you might ask?

Well, to be honest, if you noticed while playing the game, you're often paired with only one or two ghostbusters at a time. Heck, Winston doesn't even show up until Stay Puft, which I think is level 2? There is a point in each game where there is at least one or two Ghostbusters are absent. Mostly Peter and Winston, but Ray and Egon also disappear. Ray, for example, wasn't on the island when the others were, much to his chagrine, I don't recall Egon ever really disappearing when there was a large group... Winston disappears again at the Library, not going to the Ghostworld with you, Egon, and Ray... etc.

Anyways, so why does Peter always disappear? Well, you kind of answered your own question. The girl. In both movies, Peter often ditches the guys to be with the girl. He goes to Dana's apartment, takes her out on dates, and half the time is barely involved the grunt work with the rest of the Ghostbusters. Sure, occasionally he'll get his hands dirty, but only when pressured to or if he sees a personal opportunity in it. This fits well with his character as we've seen from the movies, so it makes sense that he's rarely there to train the rookie or help out.

So, my opinion? It's just how his character works, it wasn't anything other than that.

On a side note, it seems kind of weird when Peter's giving you advice on how to wrangle objects with your stream at one point in the game. It's the only out-of-character moment I can think of, but as it wasn't on a subject that was particularly new and was most likely him passing down experience rather than knowledge, it still worked. Venkman's a natural at wrangling, anyways... see GBII.
SPJ liked this
By Zack
CPU64 wrote:He did say much, only problem is that most of what he said sounded like he was mumbling and wasn't "in character" for the recording imo.
THIS. I have always said this. I was glad he was onboard but he put more effort into the voice of Garfield. It sounded like he phoned in GBTVG. It was Venkman but it...wasn't.
SPJ liked this
By skankerzero
He didn't want to be in the game.

None of us should be surprised by that.

Every time he was supposed to record for us, he would cancel. Hell, one time he told us that if we wanted his voice in game, we would have to record him WHILE he was playing golf. Such low class.

Anyways, Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd picked up his slack and recorded all the lines he didn't record when we finally did get him to record his lines. (which wasn't until about 4 months before the game was first scheduled to ship) Up until that point, we didn't know if he was even going to be in the game. We had all kinds of back up plans and stuff to write him out. (He moved to Paris with Dana, etc) He was given all kinds of money and a portion of the GB franchise in order to get him in the game.

I'm not sure if any of you guys remember a giant poster we had in our office with the game models in the classic GB1 pose. Bill Murray's character in the middle was blacked out and said 'Your head here' or something. That's because we were not allowed to show his likeness or mention his name until he signed.

So yeah. He wasn't really into it when he recorded.

Go play my other game, Aeon Flux. Charlize Theron was really drunk when she recorded. Hollywood stars... hate em.

I also have to add that all this happened in 2006 - 2008, so some of my stories might be foggy. And man do I have stories. I often wanted to go to a GB convention and just talk about them.
Alex Newborn, xoxLettermanxox, SPJ and 2 others liked this
By kevinj319
Thanks for the info. I love hearing stories about this stuff as I am sure most everyone else here does.

As much as I hate to hear about Murray being a dick, I hope you continue to share your behind-the-scenes perspective.
By mrmichaelt
Thanks for continuing to tell some stories! If you get a blog and start posting more stories, you won't get taken away in a black van will you?

But I'm a little surprised, there was that one interview where Murray said he was in good mood after doing a record and singing the GB song.
By Pseudodonn7
From what I know about Mr. Murray, that sounds about right but I can understand why he believed the game to be less of a priority.
He's pretty difficult to work with even in the film industry of late.

For what it's worth, I think you guys did an excellent job incorporating him despite his frustrating indifference.
SPJ, needanID liked this
skankerzero wrote:He didn't want to be in the game.

Every time he was supposed to record for us, he would cancel. Hell, one time he told us that if we wanted his voice in game, we would have to record him WHILE he was playing golf. Such low class.

Anyways, Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd picked up his slack and recorded all the lines he didn't record when we finally did get him to record his lines. (which wasn't until about 4 months before the game was first scheduled to ship) Up until that point, we didn't know if he was even going to be in the game. We had all kinds of back up plans and stuff to write him out. (He moved to Paris with Dana, etc) He was given all kinds of money and a portion of the GB franchise in order to get him in the game.

I'm not sure if any of you guys remember a giant poster we had in our office with the game models in the classic GB1 pose. Bill Murray's character in the middle was blacked out and said 'Your head here' or something. That's because we were not allowed to show his likeness or mention his name until he signed.

Go play my other game, Aeon Flux. Charlize Theron was really drunk when she recorded. Hollywood stars... hate em.

I also have to add that all this happened in 2006 - 2008, so some of my stories might be foggy. And man do I have stories. I often wanted to go to a GB convention and just talk about them.

THANK YOU! this is what I was guessing, because Bill Murray wants nothing to do with GB 3, and he has a problem with Lorenzo Music doing his voice, and he has such a lack of interest in everything he does, so it stands to reason that he wouldn't do the voice acting for his character. It's sad to hear.

I found that Bill Murray had so many oprotunities to make jokes and puns in the game but he was compeltely silent while all the other characters were talking and chatting and discussing things. I don't personally think it was a character thing... like PEter would talk a lot... like in the movie. And it isn't good characterization and game making if they purposely left him out of the entire game to be with the girl..I think there was something fishy about his lack of speech in the game. Like when you save Pete when he is kidnapped (which he doesn't say anything when on the radio being kidnapped.) PETER DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING about being kidnapped, he dusts himself off and continues on... :S idk..... i thought it was annoying because he talked a lot in the beginning and he was funny.

But yes there was a lot of mumbling done by Bill Murray. I wanna know what he says but can't ever understand. XD lol...
SPJ liked this
By kevinj319
Well the Wii version apparently handled the lack of dialog differently. If I remember correctly, in the other version, Peter is the only one who isn't kidnapped. After you do all the work to save the others, you find Peter just waiting for you wanting to know what's taking so long. It was actually pretty funny, and when we came across Peter, I was like, "asshole! Haha!"

It was actually pretty fitting, since (aside from being slimed) Peter tends to escape the brunt of the punishment. But it totally makes sense that the game played out this way because of missing or unusable dialog.

It's disheartening to hear that Bill Murray would carry himself in this manner, but based on some of the stories out there, it's typical. The complete disdain for one of his most famous works and a character that so many people love is just not fathomable to me. The story goes that he won't do GB3 because he is protecting the franchise from bad sequels... it sounds more and more like he won't do it because he's just kind of a jerk.
SPJ liked this
By Carnacki

Thank you, skankerzero! I love that insight you provided, though I kind of figured that to be the case. I have to play the game with subtitles to understand Pete in every scene. Did he lighten up at all during the recording sessions? How were the other actors to work with? I'm thinking Dan was the most passionate about the work.
By philmorgan81
Wow, Bill Murray wasn't kidding when he said he drags his feet regarding the franchise. I know it probobly doesn't belong in this thread, but maybe there is still hope for Bill being envolved in a third movie despite what Dan's been saying lately. Considering he didn't want to be in the game and he wound up being in it despite how phoned in the performance seemed. I Know it's pretty much a pipe dream, but time will tell.

:):):)
By John Stevens 87

Man i wish i could pop a top of two beers and let you share your stories i bet there awesome :) BTW do you have the game models in the classic GB1 pose with Murray's face on.Me and i'm sure all the rest of us would love that pic for our collection :) and do you have any other pics from the video game you could share with us :cool:
By skankerzero
John Stevens 87 wrote: Man i wish i could pop a top of two beers and let you share your stories i bet there awesome :) BTW do you have the game models in the classic GB1 pose with Murray's face on.Me and i'm sure all the rest of us would love that pic for our collection :) and do you have any other pics from the video game you could share with us :cool:
oh yeah man. I have a ton of stuff that hasn't been released.

I would love to take my harddrive to whatever the next GB convention is and have a 6 hour long panel of just going through everything I have.

We can play all the omitted levels, look at all the characters that didn't make it, look at all the unreleased concept art, and listen to the new 'theme song' that didn't get put into the game.
Gareee, Xenon_Xyanide liked this
By skankerzero
I'm still trying to feel out what I can share and what I can't.

I could still get Sony or them coming down on my legally if I share the wrong thing.

The song was made by some European band. I can't remember their name though. They submitted it to Sony but I guess they couldn't work out the legal part to it all, so it was never used.

It has an awesome 90s feel to it. It would have fit so well. It had potential to be this game's 'On Our Own'.
By skankerzero
no, we didn't have time to make female animations for the flightsuit.

We have her able to use it in her regular clothing, but I'm sure the animations are off because of the difference between the male and female skeletons in the game.
skankerzero wrote:
John Stevens 87 wrote: Man i wish i could pop a top of two beers and let you share your stories i bet there awesome :) BTW do you have the game models in the classic GB1 pose with Murray's face on.Me and i'm sure all the rest of us would love that pic for our collection :) and do you have any other pics from the video game you could share with us :cool:
oh yeah man. I have a ton of stuff that hasn't been released.

I would love to take my harddrive to whatever the next GB convention is and have a 6 hour long panel of just going through everything I have.

We can play all the omitted levels, look at all the characters that didn't make it, look at all the unreleased concept art, and listen to the new 'theme song' that didn't get put into the game.
I'm typeing as i'm drooling at the same time.i hope in the future when you have time we will get a taste of your collection.thanks for getting back to me ;)
By Winston1986
I have the X-Box 360 version and Peter talked a lot in that. I played the Wii version but don't like it because the graphics are too cartoony. I don't know why they made the Wii version like that but it's not as good as the PS3 and X-Box 360.
By Gareee
We actually liked the Wii version just as much or possibly more gameplay wise than the more advanced console versions.. the co op multiplayer using the wii motes to wrangle ghosts was awesome fun.

We've both played the entire main campaign on the ps3 or Pc, but we played the wii version through twice at least, just because it was actually fun to play.
By Ectofiend666
skankerzero wrote: oh yeah man. I have a ton of stuff that hasn't been released.

THIS. ALL OF THIS. I would KILL to see this extra material...
By TimTheTerrorDog
I still haven't picked up the Wii version. Have played through the game on PS3 a few times over the years. Have every trophy except a couple online trophies. So much for that. I should probably pick up the DS version sometime too huh?

That would be amazing to see anything you can share skankerzero.

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]