By Bennyboombatz
Boomerjinks wrote:That air filter seems MASSIVELY outsized....
Agreed. Before I read that, I did a double take on both traps by scrolling up and down, so I'm not the only one. It seriously needs to be like, half the size it is now.

... but I wonder how the hell a loaded trap like that would ever fit inside the insertion slot of the CU, unless the receiver was somehow modified. Whatever...
By RedVirtue
Sorry for the wait guys, life got in the way of this project.

There's been a slight detour. Because the Matty trap already has the electrical stuff handled I'll be putting the attachments on one of those traps for now. Then finish this trap second for "smoking" action!

There will be some surprises down the road too if things pan out! :-D
By RedVirtue
Thanks. I already cut down the black filter part, but taking a look at it again and at the reference photos the cylindar part can be taken in some more. That'll give me more breathing space for the vaccuum that will go next to it too.

By RedVirtue
ProtonCharger wrote:it looks too thick too.
The photos can be misleading. The cylinder looks giant in pics until you place parts over it.

In the end you only see the top of it.
By ProtonCharger
i disagree. you can see alot of the side of the trap in the reference photo, not in your physical one because the thick pipes cover that space. also, it's not even in the correct place, it's supposed to be lower on the side of the trap. ive spent months looking at a ton of video game stills while modeling them for my game pack, i know what im talking about.

also, why are you putting your name in your photos?
By slimershomie
I have to disagree the pipe looks just a few mm short of being half scale to the side of the trap, i would says it slightly too large and i mean maybe 1/16 of a inch if that.

Overall i think it looks great i wouldnt mind doing this to one of my traps, what do you plan for the battery box bargraph?
By Charlie Richter
From reference pics I've collected. I would say the 'black cone' should extrude half its length past the front of the trap. From your side shot there it looks to extrude the full length.

Sent from my GT-I9100T
By RedVirtue
The VG trap has different dimensions then the Matty trap.
Charlie Richter wrote:From reference pics I've collected. I would say the 'black cone' should extrude half its length past the front of the trap. From your side shot there it looks to extrude the full length.
Sent from my GT-I9100T
Yeah I see that too. one of the reasons for that is because the VG Trap is bigger then the Film Traps, and the Film Traps are larger then the Matty Trap. The matty Trap is short. For example lets look at the area we've been focusing on.
First lets look at the VG Trap.

The VGT has lots of space between the plate and the end of the trap (highlighted in green).

The Matty Trap has almost no space between the plate and the end of the trap.

So one of the reasons the Filter as a whole looks big is because there is less space on the Matty Trap, and because there is less space something that would look normal next to a VG Trap may look large next to a Matty Trap. Because of the inexactness of the two traps there are going to be some proportions looking "off".

The second reason there are going to be discrepancies is because no one has held a physical hero GBtVG Trap. It's all stuff that has to be observed and figured out. And because no one is able to hold it and physically measure it there is going to be room for opinion and perspective.

Final reason is as far as I know this is the first Fast Trap Build on the site. (Or at least that was the case when I started this thread. Someone else could have started one during my absence.) I have a lot to figure out. Besides proportions I gotta figure out what parts to use, what parts actually exist, and what parts have to be made by scratch. I no doubt believe there are going to be bigger and better VG Fast Traps out there down the road and I'm excited to see what other members do. But for now all I can do is give it a shot and share the process. Someone will learn from my good and bad choices and grow from it. And I don't mind. I made my PDS Proton Pack with no experience and it turned out fine. Others have made improvements since then I'm sure of it.

Now this isn't exact and I'm not claiming it to be on any level. But here is a rough illustration to give a general (not precise) idea of where I believe the discrepancies in this area of the trap are.

The green is where the matty trap reaches. The Yellowish is where the movie trap reaches. The Red is roughly where I presume the VG Trap reaches. Of coarse this isn't exact. I didn't even put in straight lines (oh how I miss photoshop right now). But this just gives a visual of where I'm coming from. I realize the red can use some give or take but you get it.
By jackdoud
RedVirtue wrote: one of the reasons for that is because the VG Trap is bigger then the Film Traps, and the Film Traps are larger then the Matty Trap.
The matty trap is the same size as the film traps:

Matty, Scratchbuilt, Screen-used Stunt

You have a point about the length past the front but your overall diameter is too big in relation to the trap. There's not enough space to put the other 2 main pieces of the fast trap on without overcrowing the side at that size.
By RedVirtue
Oh, my Crix trap is a little longer then my Matty. So I thought the matty was just barely smaller. The VG Trap is still longer though. Oh well, onward to some prop making. :lol:
jackdoud wrote: You have a point about the length past the front but your overall diameter is too big in relation to the trap. There's not enough space to put the other 2 main pieces of the fast trap on without overcrowing the side at that size.
Noted. :wink:
By RedVirtue

While I consider if and what I might change on the Filter, let's move to the "Pressure Dial" for now.

Here is how it looks completed on the trap.

By Kingpin
It look like the pressure dial might vw a little too tall, the screenshots make it's highest point be about mid-way up the Trap handle, with a thumb's clearance between the underside of the cap and the fin on the side of the Trap. It also looks like the cap nut should be higher, with less than a centimeter clearance from the recessed rim in the main body of the dial.
By RedVirtue
To me it looks like it comes up to just under the elbow or bend of the handle. The cap nut does appear low though, and I was observing that when I was putting the pictures up this morning. I was judging where to put the cap nut in relative to the placement of the part to the right of it. The cap nut sits just below that. But it appears I placed that part a little too low as well.

By RedVirtue
Time for a much needed quick update. Here is the new pump. Cap nut is raised a bit and a replacement part is used to the right of it.

I'm not modifying it again. :-P Next up will be the filter. Likely after the new year.
By Azurial
Bennyboombatz wrote:
Boomerjinks wrote:That air filter seems MASSIVELY outsized....
Agreed. Before I read that, I did a double take on both traps by scrolling up and down, so I'm not the only one. It seriously needs to be like, half the size it is now.

... but I wonder how the hell a loaded trap like that would ever fit inside the insertion slot of the CU, unless the receiver was somehow modified. Whatever...
In the game the COMPLETELY went and re did the Containment Unit. We never actually see it emptying a cartridge but I would assume that since they remade the containment door that it would accommodate the new trap dimensions.

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]