Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By FullTorsoApparition
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Hey everyone! Don't know if this has been discovered before but I was recently on a search for some spooky sound effects when I came upon a CD called mystery and terror sounds. Upon listening to track previews on Amazon I was amazed to find that the track entitled "Mad ape" was in fact a fairly clear recording of the slimer sound effects from the first Ghostbusters movie. I was just curious if anyone knows of this and if there are any more recordings of this nature.
HERE is the link.
SpaceBallz, sil liked this
By FullTorsoApparition
Yeah, I was just by chance I found It. I wonder how many of these sound files are out there.
By ropzu
Does anyone know the origin of proton pack startup sound? Just wondering because I've heard that sound used in an anime series and I think I've heard it elsewhere too.

Anyways, nice find. It's always strange to find out that a sound you've always distinguished from a certain movie of your childhood, is actually a stock sound.
sil liked this
By FullTorsoApparition
I was under the impression that Ivan Reitman Performed all of the slimmer grunts and growls. I wonder if the sound clip was created for GB and later sold as a stock sound or if it was already a stock sound to begin with.
By d_osborn
FullTorsoApparition wrote:I was under the impression that Ivan Reitman Performed all of the slimmer grunts and growls. I wonder if the sound clip was created for GB and later sold as a stock sound or if it was already a stock sound to begin with.
my guess is that reitman did the sounds for when slimer was in the hallway. it's a bit different than the grunts and growls.
By FullTorsoApparition
d_osborn wrote: my guess is that reitman did the sounds for when slimer was in the hallway. it's a bit different than the grunts and growls.
After watching the movie again that does seem to be the case. I wonder if any of the Reitman sounds still exist, or even stay puft sounds. I always thought he had an interesting sound.
By Alex Newborn
AJ Quick wrote:Well shit.

That's pretty awesome.
AJ's reaction to the first post pretty well sums it up for me.

Nice find!

Alex
By J_Brickman
Freakin' awesome!
By 910dohead
I know that this thread is kind of old but I also stumbled on to some sound effects from the film.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/essen ... d480123172

Track 21 - The Mad Gorilla was used for Slimer.
Track 35 & 38 might be the book case that falls in the Library.
Track 45 sounds kinda familiar

There is a track 91, "Boiling Oil", on the original release that sounds like it was used for the terror dog in Dana's kidnapping.

These are from BBC's vault so there is a chance the original proton sounds and other sounds effects are also from the other various BBC releases.
By Dr.D
The three werewolves howling was used in No One Comes To Lupusville. The Mad Gorilla was not only used in the movie, but was also used in When Halloween Was Forever.
By Alex Newborn
I went ahead and purchased the Mad Gorilla track, since it only cost 99 cents.

It's a tiny bit longer than the sample (duh) and toward the end there's a piece that I think might have been used when Slimer is softly growling, as Venkman radios to Ray the first time.

Or I could just be imagining it.

Alex
By Zack
awesome Alex! Accidentally stumbled across the track uploaded onto YouTube when I searched for it...give it a listen. So cool to hear him isolated. On the subject of the Leopard Snarl being the Ecto siren, I went to listen to a leopard snarl and it sounds close to the Terror Dog/Bath Tub growl/ Vigo making his final change when he goes back in the painting.

By Alex Newborn
Thanks, Zack!

I didn't think to look for this, though I did consider including the entire track for comparison in my video.

But I figured iTunes wouldn't be happy about that, LOL.

The iTunes version is much cleaner, without all the vinyl record white noise.

The video Zack linked above does mention the track being used for Slimer in its description, and also says it was used for the RoBeast noises on Voltron.

Anybody got some Voltron clips they want to share?

Alex
By AlexC
The anime Gunbuster famously ripped audio directly from the movie. In one scene, you can hear the audio from the ballroom scene. Not just individual sounds but a short clip of the guys blasting the chandelier and Slimer roaring and panting.
By robbritton
Old topic I know, but just tonight noticed that Mad Gorilla is used in RGB as well - you can hear it clearly when they trap the ghost in the street just before noticing time is askew in When Halloween Was Forever!
By Alex Newborn
I had some RGB episodes playing on Netflix the other night just for background noise while I was doing some other things, and I remember hearing the Mad Gorilla and making a mental note to come here and post about it. Now I can't remember which episode it was! I've checked one, I have a couple more to look into. I don't think it was When Hallowe'en Was Forever, but I'm interested to rewatch that one now to hear it.

Alex
robbritton liked this
By Alex Newborn
Just in time for Hallowe'en, the YouTube channel for David Letterman has uploaded a clip from October 31, 1983 where Dave's guest is Pee-Wee Herman, who comes out dressed as a pirate and takes Dave on a green-screen tour of a 'haunted mansion'.

When they get to the mad scientist's laboratory, one of the Mad Ape tracks can be heard a couple of times.

Enjoy!

Alex
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

It could have been more accurate (barrel and[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]