The latest updates to the Ghostbusters Fans site.
By AJ Quick
Hey everyone.

This Halloween in the GBFans Shop has been hugely successful. In the last few months I've personally shipped nearly ten thousand items to our customers. Shipping out orders has taken over every aspect of my day to day life, and I had been shipping 30-70 orders per day nearly every day in October. It has been difficult to deal with the volume and many other aspects of GBFans have suffered. To recouperate, I will be shutting down the Ghostbusters Fans Shop for the month of November and will not be accepting any new orders. (If you have an outstanding order, or are expecting an order in the next few weeks these will still ship).

Despite being closed, there will still be work to be done! I will be focusing largely on completely revamping the Shop software. For the past 6-8 months, I've been working on a completely new version of the Shop. With the shop closed, I will be able to work on transitioning to the new software and putting the finishing touches on the software.

Here is a list of features I have / will implement. I would love to have your feedback on the features.

Expanded Product Descriptions
We will be changing how the products are displayed and will be providing a much larger and accurate description of each item. Some items will have separate product specifications, dimensions, and other ratings in a separate table.

Multiple images per product
Each shop item will have multiple pictures and views when possible. Most of the images will be completely redone and will more accurately show exactly what you are getting (from multiple views).

Better Inventory Tracking
More items will be available, and less items will go out of stock. For items that we stock from other suppliers (such as Clippard, SMC, and others) we will always have available. If an item goes out of stock, it will be estimated when the item will be available again... and you will be able to order out of stock items. This means you can place one large order instead of waiting for each item to come back in stock. (This will only apply to items that we can always get restocked, and not items that may not be restocked such as custom items.)

Bulk Pricing
There will be bulk pricing on certain items. Ordering over a specific amount will yield a lower price per item. For example, ordering for all franchise members might yield a lower price vs ordering one single item. This will also be good for resellers, or customers that are stocking up.

Better Shipping Choices
There will be more choices for shipping, including rush delivery and overnight shipping. Packages will be sorted more accurately (in stock and out of stock items) and packages will be sized more accurately. The system will calculate the size of the box that will be required (which will result in more accurate shipping prices). Cheaper flat rate options will be added. Options will include USPS Parcel Select, First Class, Priority, Express and UPS Overnight, 2nd Day, 3rd Day and Ground. All prices will be calculated directly by USPS and UPS and returned back.

Frequently Asked Questions
Each product will be accompanied by a FAQ section with the most frequently asked questions regarding that product if applicable. This will hopefully make ordering much easier for fans that have questions.

Product Reviews
Customers that have placed an order for the item previously will be able to rate the item and post a review to help others. Items with low reviews will be re-evaluated and improved (though, there shouldn't be many of those!).

Wishlist / Mailing List
The mailing list will be changing from how it currently works. Items that are in stock (but you are not ready to buy), or items that are not in stock can be added to the wishlist. You will then be notified when there is a change to that specific item, rather than being notified when there is a change to all items. The exception to that will be notifications when a new item has been added.

The wishlist will also be used for customers to express interest in an item. Lets say there is an item we haven't stocked in a long time. If we see a lot of people adding that item to their wishlist, we will be able to use that as a way to gauge interest.

Product Bundles
There will be product bundles available for customers that aren't sure exactly what to buy. For example, when looking to put together a uniform, there will be a bundle that contains the Flight Suit, Patches and Belt. The whole bundle will be available for a cheaper price compared to ordering the items individually.

More Payment Options
In addition to accepting PayPal, we will be able to directly process credit cards. This will open up the ability for customers to provide a credit card for a pre-order... and not have the card charged until it is ready to ship. (Accepted cards: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Discover). Possibly also add the ability to pay with Bitcoin (if there is interest).

Possible other features:

Gift Certificates
In addition to redeeming Gift Certificates (which you can already do), you will also be able to buy Gift Certificates to use as gifts.

Coupons
Coupon codes could apply to specific items that would provide discounts, or discounts could be given when an order total reaches a specific point... free shipping.. etc.

Billing
Lots of customers ask to be billed for replacement parts on their order. Currently this is not possible. We may make the system be capable of having invoices that can be paid through GBFans. For example we can setup custom orders, and then the system will send an invoice... which will then ship when paid for.

Those are just some of the features we have planned. If you have a suggestion or idea you would like to see implemented, post some feedback!
joeghostbuster, pavenatt, ecto80 and 4 others liked this
By csullivan1980
If there was a countdown clock to the exact minute the store reopens i'd be watching it until it hit zero! HAHAHA!
Grimmy GB liked this
By AJ Quick
csullivan1980 wrote:If there was a countdown clock to the exact minute the store reopens i'd be watching it until it hit zero! HAHAHA!
It will be open when it is done. Since I'm programming it from scratch.. it isn't easy.
ghostfan003, Cornelius liked this
By kurisu7885
I've been seeing some improvements being done on pack electronics, I'm curious if we might be able ot purchase those as addons in the new store, since I bought mine mere months before this stuff came out.
By AJ Quick
kurisu7885 wrote:I've been seeing some improvements being done on pack electronics, I'm curious if we might be able ot purchase those as addons in the new store, since I bought mine mere months before this stuff came out.
None of those adds on have been sold in the shop, but if they are popular enough and if Doug wants me to sell them.. I will sell them.

Just an update.

I'm almost to the point where the shop is operational again. I have worked out a way that will allow you to place an order with a Credit Card or PayPal and have your account be charged when an item ships. This will be a completely new pay flow system... and will be an improvement for pre-orders and special orders.

That being said. It is going to require extensive testing before the Shop goes live again. It might not be open again until the first few weeks in December.

I may be calling upon a few users who would like to help me beta test the payment system and ordering system. (Not now, don't contact me about doing it yet).
By Lewis Tully
Oooooh! Am I the only one who is counting the days more than Christmas??? :P

As far as the delayed payment system, will that be an option, or will all orders be processed that way? I know I'm one of those guys who usually likes to order things when I have the money because if I wait the money usually disappears before I can get what I want or need, which suuucks. :P

Can't wait to see everything back up and operational!
By PssdffJay
Agreed on the paying. I don't like that PayPal sometimes does the pay after delivery automatically. I have a credit card as a back up on my paypal, but I prefer to pay when I order. An option would be great.
By AJ Quick
Yes and no.

Payments by Visa, MasterCard, Amex and Discover (when you pay through the site) will be charged based on when the item will ship. Any items that are in stock will be charged right away, and others will be charged around the time they ship. (Maybe a day or two before).

When paying with your PayPal account, you will be asked to create a Billing Agreement to allow for payments to be done at a later time. This will only happen if parts are not in stock. I believe you have the option to disagree to the billing agreement and have your order charged 100% in full at time of purchasing. That is how I programmed it, but I'm not sure if that's how PayPal will allow it to work.

After you have setup a billing agreement, you don't even have to login to PayPal to place an order. (But you can do a one time payment on future orders.)

Note that if you aren't logged into an account, PayPal will never try to setup a billing agreement.. so there is also the possibility to do that.

I believe Billing Agreements will try your main account, then try your bank account / credit cards linked to PayPal. Just in case you don't have the funds available at the time of purchase. I'll also have something setup in case the money can't be deducted, and people will be able to pay separate invoices.

Its complicated... and the reason why it is taking so long.
By Lewis Tully
It sounds complicated, but it sounds like there will be options, which is nice. Looking forward to seeing the new set up and being able to grab a few bits and pieces when it returns.
By IndyFanChuck
I am very excited to see the new store! I'm wishing you lots of luck and success. Thank you for your hard work.

:-)

-Chuck
By AJ Quick
Getting closer guys!

This weekend I'm putting the finishing touches on a few front end pages. Soon I'll be able to put up the new version of the shop. The ability to purchase items will be locked until I can get things looking really good, new photos uploaded, inventory levels corrected... etc. I'm hoping to be ready by the end of the week.

That being said, we will be going on hiatus after Christmas for a short vacation. Shipping speed will be slow until about February as there will be a lot of other things to work on here.

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]