By jason407
I was finally able to take a few days and work on the reboot pack I'm building for my sister-in-law. I see that a few guys have started on the pack, but I jumped to the gun first as I thought it would be a challenge.
I recently got a 3d printer and this was definitely a learning experience. I made several mistakes since I am still learning the ins & out of building in 3d for printing. I pretty much had to salvage by hand most of the parts due to mistakes I made...or printing errors.
However, I am super happy with it. There are some inaccuracies with it that I discovered while assembling, but I didn't have the patience to redo all the work/printing.
In general, it's going to be way better than she was expecting, so I'm not too worried about it.
Of course, I was super proud of myself...until I saw this earlier today. ;)
https://twitter.com/maghostbusters/stat ... 9710195712
KoCo, twmedford23, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
By jason407
I was originally planning on it...I even bought some smooth-on molding stuff to attempt to try and cast some stuff. However, I made so many mistakes that I would have to spend another week redoing the modeling and printing...and I just don't have time right now as I am about to be the busiest I've been in my life for the next 3 months.
That being said, if someone has not beat me to it by December, I will definitely consider it.

Here are a few pics from along the way. I didn't take a lot though.
(I wonder if anyone will notice a big mistake I made.)
twmedford23, KoCo, tommyb345 and 1 others liked this
By JoeLuna33
This is pretty damn amazing. That looks just like the one I held at SDCC. If you do a run of parts I'd be in line right behind KoCo.
By Spongeface
jason407 wrote:I
I love the coloring! Can you give some details on the paint you used and the aging/weathering techniques you used? I'll be painting my dome in a week or so and would love to get some pointers from you. I tried some rustoleum flat metalic nickle and it is way too "sparkly".

Currently I have sanded and primed parts and the XTC-3D has arrived and it has some scary warnings so I will have to take my time and do some comparisons.
Kingpin liked this
By jason407
JoeLuna33 wrote:This is pretty damn amazing. That looks just like the one I held at SDCC. If you do a run of parts I'd be in line right behind KoCo.
I used the basic measurements Feig had provided , but most of it I just did by eye...which is a little deceiving in 3d sometimes. I actually totally screwed up and used the wrong size pvc as the handle base...so that side is kind of wrong...the tubes on that side and the t-shaped thing should all be a bit bigger. Which means the rest of the base is slightly too wide too. I didn't notice until I printed the handgrips and saw how off the handle one was compared to the other as they look about the same size on the real one. So...instead of redoing it all...I just made a little patch piece to put around the handle pvc to make it bigger between the handle and the gun base. I don't think most people would ever notice that...but I know it's all too small!!! ;)
Spongeface wrote:I love the coloring! Can you give some details on the paint you used and the aging/weathering techniques you used? I'll be painting my dome in a week or so and would love to get some pointers from you. I tried some rustoleum flat metalic nickle and it is way too "sparkly".

Currently I have sanded and primed parts and the XTC-3D has arrived and it has some scary warnings so I will have to take my time and do some comparisons.
I think I actually used that same exact paint...and it was too sparkly!!! However, that didn't really matter as it was kind of just the base.
I went over top of that with silver RubNBuff which is awesome for giving a good realistic metal look.
After that, I went over it all with lots of black acrylic and water...wiping it off, adding, wiping, blotting, dry brushing it in detailed areas, etc... It took a little time and love, but it is worth it. ;)

I actually don't use anything like XTC-3d...but I am fairly new to the 3d print stuff. Maybe I will try it someday...but I am too impatient for some of those steps! ;)
I just did some basic sanding, and then went heavy on the paint with several layers/coats.
By jason407
Azurial wrote:That is a beautiful thrower sir. Any chance I can bug you for the STL(s)? It may just go well with my reboot pack, so if you'd like you are more than free to see if my files will work.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1000126
I was originally planning on either releasing the files, and/or making a resin kit...but I screwed up a ton in the software as I am new to this and am not using the correct software for the job.
The files are not only inaccurate, but there are a ton of mistakes that are a huge pain to fix after printing. (Extra thick areas, parts that break off due to no support, no holes where holes are needed, and other annoying mistakes)
I wasted a ton of time fixing things by hand.
I do plan on releasing them, but not until I have had a chance to fix them and make them at least usable. Sadly, that probably won't be until December.
By gamera1968
OK, not a fan of the whole "reboot" thing but this pack does look damn well-made.

Here, you earned it :crunch:
By Mr.Spider
Where did you find the 3 switches for your thrower ? the yellow, green, and blue ones. I havent been able to source any online.
By jason407
Mr.Spider wrote:Where did you find the 3 switches for your thrower ? the yellow, green, and blue ones. I havent been able to source any online.
I just found some white ones at a local shop and painted them.
By jason407
Azurial wrote:Curious. What did you use for the faraday cage? Thats the biggest hurdle im having to overcome.
I used a wire mesh from the local art store...I think it was this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/24419068?wmls ... 32&veh=sem
I believe I ended up needing 2 of them as one was just under the size I needed. It is not perfect, there ended up being about an inch gap at the bottom, but that is pretty much covered so I don't think anyone will ever notice it.
Underneath that, I just used eva foam to build a structure. I printed out some images of computer circuit boards and glued those on to it so that it appeared to be more going on under there than there really was.
Added some wires and stuff based on the reference images.
:)
By Azurial
Very inventive! Kudos to you sir. Mind if i ask what you used for the mounting plate and what you used for the bumpers? I know im being very nosey lol. Its only because my wife wants me to build her one.
By jason407
Azurial wrote:Very inventive! Kudos to you sir. Mind if i ask what you used for the mounting plate and what you used for the bumpers? I know im being very nosey lol. Its only because my wife wants me to build her one.
I used a V hook from a Dixie cup holder for the mount.
Not sure what you mean by "bumpers."

As you probably saw, I 3d printed most of the gun box. (Resin kit now available in my signature) ;)
By jason407
Oh, I just used a thin wood for the base, and bent styrene for the bottom. Didn't bother to match the hole pattern on the back.
I found a bendable wire at a salvage shop and used that for the cage supports.
Azurial liked this
By jenmcnitt
jason407 wrote:
Azurial wrote:Curious. What did you use for the faraday cage? Thats the biggest hurdle im having to overcome.
I used a wire mesh from the local art store...I think it was this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/24419068?wmls ... 32&veh=sem
I believe I ended up needing 2 of them as one was just under the size I needed. It is not perfect, there ended up being about an inch gap at the bottom, but that is pretty much covered so I don't think anyone will ever notice it.
Underneath that, I just used eva foam to build a structure. I printed out some images of computer circuit boards and glued those on to it so that it appeared to be more going on under there than there really was.
Added some wires and stuff based on the reference images.
:)
What did you use for the circular piece that covers the cage. Was this a 3d printed piece?

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London