By Kingpin

Famous for his work on Swamp Thing, Frankenstein and House of Secrets, it was announced earlier today that famed comic artist Bernie Wrightson had passed away after a battle with cancer.

Wrightson is also known to fans of Ghostbusters through the body of illustration/concept design work he'd produced for the original film's pre-production. Featured prominently in Don Shay's book, Making Ghostbusters, Wrightson's drawings included designs for the Terror Dogs, the Librarian, Gozer's temple and many other spectral entities. Wrightson's work on the film also included storyboards for the sequence which saw the Ghostbusters encountering Slimer.
Sav C liked this
By Alex Newborn
In May of 2014, I took some pics and digitally assembled them into this 'containment unit monitor' post on the Cross the Streams Podcast on Facebook.

Though my mandate was all about the Matty GB figures, I slipped in some Evil Dead 'Deadite' action figures as a deliberate nod to one of Bernie Wrighston's conceptual sketches seen in Making Ghostbusters, and posted the image with no comment.

I was delighted that within minutes, someone praised the pic for including the nod to Bernie Wrightson's artwork.

Also, here's a nice interview with Bernie where he talks about working on Ghostbusters.

Alex
Sav C liked this
By d_osborn
Cool comp, Alex!

Yeah, Bernie passing is a huge downer. I remember seeing his work when I was a kid, but had no clue he worked on GB until seeing the old Emkow website. I picked up a few original pieces of his GB art back in the day-- some of my favs.

...and Ben, I'm pretty sure the Onionhead storyboard in your post was drawn by Thom Enriquez, not Wrightson. Just a heads up! :-)
By Hasford1978
RIP Bernie, another legend from the Ghostbusters world gone, id say it was thanks to his artwork what inspired me to draw anything Ghostbusters as well
Kingpin liked this
By Kingpin
d_osborn wrote:...and Ben, I'm pretty sure the Onionhead storyboard in your post was drawn by Thom Enriquez, not Wrightson. Just a heads up! :-)
I'll try look into it, I was having a hard time finding anything iconic that was definitely his, and a few pages did erroneously credit Enriquez's work with Wrightson.
By d_osborn
He was one of the first artists hired to work on the film, so most of his designs differ quite a bit from what ended up on screen. The librarian ghost is his most recognizable. His Gozer Temple concepts were NUTS!

I saw Bernie chilling at his booth at Dragon Con about ten years ago. I was in a hurry and didn't take the time to go up and say hi. Still kicking myself for that one.

Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]