By Kingpin
Story updated 18/2/2018

Following the original announcement seven months ago, Diamond Select Toys has unveiled it's range of figures based on The Real Ghostbusters at New York Toy Fair.

Information from the plaques at Toy Fair suggest the following release schedule for the figures:

Summer 2018
•Egon Spengler
•Winston Zeddemore
•Slimer (with changeable expressions)

Fall 2018
•Peter Venkman
•Ray Stantz
•Stay Puft

Details on what accessories each figure will specifically be equipped with are yet to be confirmed, but the photos do reveal that each figure will come with a uniquely coloured proton stream (likely a nod to the classic Kenner toy series). Confirmed accessories in addition to the Proton Pack, include the Ghost Trap and PKE Meter.

More photos can be seen at Toy News International.

Image Credit: Toy News International.
I can now officially journey into the after life in peace. We've waited forever for updated Real Ghostbusters action figures made with today's toy standards. Thank you dearly Diamond Select Toys!
I want to see pics from a different angle, but at the moment I'm torn.

The head sculpts on Egon and Peter look exactly like how I want them. Ray looks like a monkey. Can't tell with Winston from the current pictures but hopefully other sites will have better pics soon.

The bodies however are repainted versions of the movie suits, specifically the GB 2 gray suits. They are too wrinkly and realistic for the RGB. Plus, while Egon, Peter, and Winston have pretty good proportions (Egon seems the best to me), Ray is not stout enough. And speaking of reuse, Slimer is very obviously the movie body with reworked heads. Again, need to see better pics before i know if I like it, but I'd rather a new Slimer sculpt. These kind of look like customized figures.

So yeah....all in all these figures look good but are not my ideal RGB figures. Ideally I would rather have all new sculpts with less detail in the bodies. But...I think these will look better with the fire house and make for a good "realistic" version of the RGB. I will definitely be displaying the RGB with the fire house.
Wafflerobot liked this
the face sculpts of Egon and Peter are pretty good, Ray not so much, and I haven't seen a close up of Winston. personally they don't look like the 'adult collector' RGB figures in my head but I am still impressed that these got made at all, and unlike DST's movie GB figures (I skipped them all, except I picked up a grey suit GB2 Ray the other day, a slimed Peter on ebay, and I had a GB1 Louis and a glow-in-the-dark Slimer), I will be collecting these.
Wiggyof9 wrote:I want to see pics from a different angle, but at the moment I'm torn.

The head sculpts on Egon and Peter look exactly like how I want them.

The bodies however are repainted versions of the movie suits, specifically the GB 2 gray suits. They are too wrinkly and realistic for the RGB.
I feel the same way. I'm excited that there are new RGB figures and the faces look great to me (namely Egon and Peter as you mentioned) but 'm not a fan of the suits being that wrinkly. It looks like they fell asleep on a couch wearing their jump suits.
The original post has been update to include some info on the expected release schedule.

GhostbustersNews also has some additional photos, including those of Slimer (who does feature a more cartoon-inspired face sculpt) and Stay Puft: LINK

I love these figures. They're not a 100% accurate depiction of what was on the show, but I'm happy to accept the concessions and the "more realistic" style. I may have to get the rest of the series though in order to complete the Firehouse diorama.
Kingpin wrote:I love these figures. They're not a 100% accurate depiction of what was on the show, but I'm happy to accept the concessions and the "more realistic" style.
Right there with you. I didn't even noticed the wrinkles or nametape mound until it was pointed out. If re-using an old mold keeps the pricepoint reasonable and at long last brings figures this accurate into the world, I won't look that gift horse in the mouth.
They can't always keep those uniforms sharp and fresh. I mean how many episodes have we seen them get to the firehouse then go on a call like five minutes after they pull into the fire house? When they sell out i'm sure they'll release slime and staypuft goo limited editions.
I am looking forward to an RGB accurate ect0-1 if we get that far.
I can deal with the Ghostbusters having the name tag mold still there, but Slimer....the styles are too different to mash together like that. At least the chopped one of his figures off. The heads look good though and I really wish they would just sand sown the warts and retool the figure.

And if we are going to get a newly tooled figure, why Stay Puft? Diamond already made the best version, the giant bank. A smaller slightly more cartoonish figure with a little bit of articulation isn't worth taking up a spot of what could have been a new character like Samhain, Boogeyman, or Sandman. I assume they went with Stay Puft to keep retailer interest in the line and avoid peg warming. Same reason they put a random transparent terror dog at Toys 'R' Us and kept Janosz to comic shops only.

At the end of the day I'll be buying these figures for the fire house and am only excited for about 2/3 of the figures.
If the inclusion of Stay Puft and the reuse of parts leads to more figures in the RGB end of things, maybe a series of all ghosts, then I'm all for it. Hopefully these aren't the last figures we see.
The thought occurs to me that Stay Puft isn't an RGB inclusion, but a straightforward "Ghostbusters" inclusion: the logic being he's a figure you could get for either the movie line or the cartoon line, but isn't specifically intended for only one of the other.

The Stay Puft bank was amazing, but from my understanding it wasn't a posable figure, this new inclusion achives that objective while keeping the price point/development cost reasonable (because we all know a Stay Puft that was in scale would be prohibitively expensive, yet a scaled-down figure is a natural, understandable and obvious inclusion to the range).

It definitely would've been nice to have gotten Samhain, but they may have chosen to avoid doing any of the RGB villains to avoid the possibility of starting something they might not be able to finish.

Then again though, depending on how the sales of the RGB figures go, we may see more RGB ghosts in the future with the winter 2018 and 2019 lines, if they carry on for the next year+. :)
By mbd
Kingpin wrote: Then again though, depending on how the sales of the RGB figures go, we may see more RGB ghosts in the future with the winter 2018 and 2019 lines, if they carry on for the next year+. :)

Yes good idea and how about EGB and more after that
I guess I just don't see a need for Stay Puft to have articulation. I've never been a fan of small Stay Pufts either. I love the character, but always liked the angry faced larger figures. Smaller happy Stay Puft doesn't do it for me.

I do hope that some how they get the license for GB2 ghosts and do an all ghost series or 2. There are enough ghosts between what is left for GB1 and in GB2 to make a at least 2 to 3 waves. Make the playset build the containment unit basement (either RGB style or movie style) and now we are talking.
By Fritz
I don't mind the reuse of the slightly more "realistic" unforms from the movie line; I've taken to imagining (and drawing) the characters as basically the RGB likenesses with some of the movie detail mixed back in, so this suits me just fine. I doubt I'll be ambitious enough to try to paint on the nametags, but I'm at least contemplating it. (the cartoon guys do have them per "Elementary, My Dear Winston")

Obviously, if they sell well enough, the #1 item on my wish list would be an RGB Janine to fill out the set. Uniform or not, even if it's the vomitous pink uniform, just make one and I'll give Diamond Select even more money.
Croker liked this
timeware wrote:I'll be buying these. I'm more interested in seeing someone scan the accessories to make them full scale 3D-printable.
The scans would be garbage. Scaling them up to print would result in lumpy details and blemishes to clean up... You'd be better off just building them from scratch physically or in a 3D package.
Kingpin wrote:The scans would be garbage. Scaling them up to print would result in lumpy details and blemishes to clean up... You'd be better off just building them from scratch physically or in a 3D package.
Kingpin is right. There aren't a lot of complicated shapes in the RBG equipment. As someone that 3D models for work, I can say it'd be far less trouble to model that gear up from scratch than to scan in toys.

Kingpin liked this
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]