Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By groschopf
New pic loaded to Instagram
This Post Contains Spoilers
Last edited by groschopf on August 20th, 2019, 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alphagaia wrote: August 20th, 2019, 5:38 am I don't think Jason has played the game and read the comics, though.
Even if he's done neither, Ghost Corps does.
droidguy1119 wrote: August 20th, 2019, 8:03 am Is the Vigo connection to Gozer from the game? I don't remember that.

As others have suggested, I like the idea of the Shandor cult having moved onto a different thing to summon, although that big G certainly suggests otherwise...
There is no direct connection. Fans filled in the blanks. On Shandor Island Winston speculated the Cult of Gozer pumped the pink slime into the sewer system with their lab set up. From there, fans posited the slime was meant to power up Gozer after it arrived via the Shandor Building and took on its Destructor Form but it wasn't around long enough to do so then 5 years later, when the Vigo painting was taken out of archives, whatever restriction on Vigo's spirit was lifted and he detected the slime river and drew energy from to wield abilities comparable to a Class 7.
robbritton liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: August 20th, 2019, 4:34 pm
Alphagaia wrote: August 20th, 2019, 5:38 am I don't think Jason has played the game and read the comics, though.
Even if he's done neither, Ghost Corps does.
Yeah, but I think in this case, Ivan's priority isn't gonna be the franchise canon, it'll be giving his son the freedom to work within the framework of the series however he sees fit. Plus, Jason seems to look at this as a tribute to dad as much as the fans, so I think he's gonna focus on his father's two movies and not the game.
SpaceBallz wrote: August 20th, 2019, 1:17 pm Lmao...I'm loving this speculation.

And it should really keep us busy until october when the film wraps up; should be fun. ^_^
By Kingpin
Alphagaia wrote: August 20th, 2019, 2:22 am What's the problem with Ivo Shandor deliberately using the slime to stream towards a place of culture? It building up would eventually unleash a powerful spirit like Vigo. Just like the Scoleri Brothers were brought back by the slime in just a few hours?
My feelings of opposition are that to me I feel it weakens the character of Vigo by robbing him of the validity of his achivements. Everything he achieves from when he appears on screen until he's defeated is the result of him piggybacking off of someone else rather than getting the ball rolling himself.
He goes from being a powerful sorcerer whose personality, whose supernatural carbon footprint is overpowering enough to negatively affect the citizens of a whole city around him... To being a paranormal hyena, A scavenger.

It's the one part of the video game I would happily declare non-canon. Vigo didn't need to have any connection to the events or characters of the first film beyond Dana and the four Ghostbusters.
By Kingpin
Onto happier things, there's a lot of stuff to unpack from today.

First off, Shawn uploaded a few more of his Ecto-1 photos to Facebook:

And some photos of the interior, they're probably only spoilery on a tiny level, but I'll throw them behind the spoiler wall anyway.

With the new photos having been posted, a fan on the Ghostbusters Fans facebook observed the marks on the bumper to the right of the licence plate holder looking like it could be the former spot of Ecto-1A's yellow beacon:

And comparing the bumper to this photo, it looks like a dead-on match:

Does this mean that Pursuit* is the former Ecto-1A? I'm unsure. A lot of the elements of the interior of Pursuit don't match what few interior photos exist in our reference gallery, barring a substantial rebuild.

Finally, a video of the "patina" car was recently shared on the Facebook group: Link

Having watched it, my first thought was how the former owner boasted about inflating the asking price for the car, considering what a "Rust City" it was.

My second thought was to paraphrase Egon: "this automobile should be condemned" :sigh: .

My third, is that the gas tank cap was in a location nearly identical to the original Ecto-1's, and Ecto-1A's. Which now makes me wonder if this change came about because of the new engine? If both cars have been given new engines, neccesitating modified gas caps, then we have a likely explanation for them both matching in this off-model configuration.

*Before I continue further, would folks prefer if I changed the car designations to Wrecto-1 and Wrecto-1A? Or Wrecto-1 and Wrecto-2? :)
Kingpin wrote: August 20th, 2019, 7:22 pm My third, is that the gas tank cap was in a location nearly identical to the original Ecto-1's, and Ecto-1A's. Which now makes me wonder if this change came about because of the new engine? If both cars have been given new engines, neccesitating modified gas caps, then we have a likely explanation for them both matching in this off-model configuration
I was also thinking that the engine rebuild might be a factor in the unusual placement of the gas cap, but it still seems strange. More importantly, I think we just really want to see the 1A back in action for another GB film, even as a redressed picture car. :)

If the 1A is actually being used in this film, and we can successfully identify it, I think designating the car as Wrecto-1(A) is a good idea - indicating that it's both in a GB1 configuration but not forgetting its GB2 heritage.
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By JWils23
Demon Vice Commander wrote: August 20th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Kingpin wrote: August 20th, 2019, 7:22 pm My third, is that the gas tank cap was in a location nearly identical to the original Ecto-1's, and Ecto-1A's. Which now makes me wonder if this change came about because of the new engine? If both cars have been given new engines, neccesitating modified gas caps, then we have a likely explanation for them both matching in this off-model configuration
I was also thinking that the engine rebuild might be a factor in the unusual placement of the gas cap, but it still seems strange. More importantly, I think we just really want to see the 1A back in action for another GB film, even as a redressed picture car. :)

If the 1A is actually being used in this film, and we can successfully identify it, I think designating the car as Wrecto-1(A) is a good idea - indicating that it's both in a GB1 configuration but not forgetting its GB2 heritage.
This was one of the first things I noticed when I saw the new pictures of Wrecto-1 (cracked me up), that’s certainly not the original caddy 390 that came in those cars. It’s certainly a newer V8 under the hood, but I agree that seems like an odd reason to alter the gas cap location. I would guess that is some sort of modern big block GM motor that replaced the old Caddy big block. Could even be a modern Caddy V8 out of an Escalade or something, I believe those are 6.2 V8’s which is roughly 380ci so very close to the original size.
Vigo should have zero connection to anything from the first film. It's obviously not what Dan/Harold/Ivan intended when creating the character, and like others have said, it weakens Vigo as a bad guy and the franchise. Not everything should be connected. That's lazy storytelling. Vigo is his own thing.

Anyways..seperate from that I wanted to bring something up that I noticed on rewatch. This may have been discussed ad nauseam for all I know but I'm going to bring it up anyway. So in Ghostbusters 1 there's an extra that appears in two seperate sections of the movie. We first see him outside the Library as the GB's are running out from their encounter with the librarian ghost. The second is after they walk out of the bank during the mortgage discussion(he's behind/near Bill Murray).

What's the story with this extra does anyone know? We know Jason is going thru old footage and alternate takes for GB2020 and I saw this reappearing extra and had an idea that will never come to pass but I thought it was a neat little "what if".

This extra, which I wish I had a screenshot of, is a male in his late 20's. What if he's some sort of inter dimensional being keeping tabs on the Ghostbusters? He sees their first encounter with a ghost, and is around for all the important moments in their formation. I think I may have also spotted him in the crowd during the containment unit explosion. I'm not sure. But he's in two seperate scenes. How cool would it be if they used that guy or something like it that had us re examine the way we looked at the original film?

Just an interesting idea I thought.
By BatDan
it may be lazy writing to try and connect every crook and cranny, but i'd still like to see everything come full circle in a clever way and have GB2 have a contribution within a trilogy rather that just an oddity in the story arc.

i just love GB2 almost as much as 1, and would like to see some of its elements make its way into the new movie...i mean who knows, maybe Oscar is a side-character in the film all grown up..can have some funny dialog with that "oh i had a great childhood.. my mother used to tell me a story on how i was almost possessed by a 15th century tyrant..but she also told me about the tooth fairy too..so.." but who knows..none of the character names have been revealed yet outside of the Sheriff..im waiting patiently..as you can tell.
Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote: August 20th, 2019, 8:54 pmAnyways..seperate from that I wanted to bring something up that I noticed on rewatch. This may have been discussed ad nauseam for all I know but I'm going to bring it up anyway. So in Ghostbusters 1 there's an extra that appears in two seperate sections of the movie. We first see him outside the Library as the GB's are running out from their encounter with the librarian ghost. The second is after they walk out of the bank during the mortgage discussion(he's behind/near Bill Murray).

What's the story with this extra does anyone know? We know Jason is going thru old footage and alternate takes for GB2020 and I saw this reappearing extra and had an idea that will never come to pass but I thought it was a neat little "what if".

This extra, which I wish I had a screenshot of, is a male in his late 20's. What if he's some sort of inter dimensional being keeping tabs on the Ghostbusters? He sees their first encounter with a ghost, and is around for all the important moments in their formation. I think I may have also spotted him in the crowd during the containment unit explosion. I'm not sure. But he's in two seperate scenes. How cool would it be if they used that guy or something like it that had us re examine the way we looked at the original film?
This is a hall-of-fame stretch.

My theory is
By Alphagaia
I mean, if people forgive GB2 for changing Dana occupation, suddenly give her a son and drop her right next to the next big bad who is looking for a kid, along with quite a few other cheap story tricks I won't get into, I'm also OK with Vigo being planted by the cult, just like Gozer was.

It's not a hill I would die on, though, and if you disagree that's completely fine, but I'm not gonna pretend that's the point GB2 became lazy in it's storytelling, and I still like that movie.
Last edited by Alphagaia on August 21st, 2019, 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
philmorgan81 wrote: August 21st, 2019, 12:05 am
RichardLess wrote: August 20th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Anyways..seperate from that I wanted to bring something up that I noticed on rewatch. This may have been discussed ad nauseam for all I know but I'm going to bring it up anyway. So in Ghostbusters 1 there's an extra that appears in two seperate sections of the movie. We first see him outside the Library as the GB's are running out from their encounter with the librarian ghost. The second is after they walk out of the bank during the mortgage discussion(he's behind/near Bill Murray).

What's the story with this extra does anyone know?
The dull answer is that the bank is right across from the library in real life, so the two sequences were likely filmed on the same day with the same extras. He just knows how to work the camera and get himself noticed, I guess!
Alphagaia wrote: August 20th, 2019, 11:44 pm I mean, if people forgive GB2 for changing Dana occupation, suddenly give her a son and drop her right next to the next big bad who is looking for a kid, along with quite a few other cheap story tricks I won't get into, I'm also OK with Vigo being planted by the cult, just like Gozer was.

It's not a hill I would die on, though, and if you disagree that's completely fine, but I'm not gonna pretend that's the point GB2 became lazy in it's storytelling, and I still like that movie.
If anything like that happened it would make Vigo less cool. Ans yeah the movie has some lazy storytelling, no doubt.

Suddenly giving her a son? Lol. It's been 5 years. I don't think that's sudden for a women of her age. The story establishes that she's going to back to the orchestra now that Oscar is a bit older. There's a deleted scene that I wish they would've kept of Dana questioning if her family is cursed or something due to what happened 5 years ago.

If they were going to connect the two films of GB1 & 2, Oscar should've been the result of Dana & Louis getting it on as Zuul & Vinz doing their thing on the rooftop. Then maybe have that as the impetus for the Shandor people, who maybe have all sorts of paranormal relics & vessels hiding in a cache somewhere, planting the Vigo painting in the museum storage, knowing that Vigo's soul would be attracted to the slight paranormal quality Oscar has from being demon spawn.

I've always had a theory for how Vigo became trapped in the painting to begin with. Perhaps there was a rebellion against Vigo's rule in Moldavia and within this rebellion was a rival magician that trapped Vigo's soul within the painting canvas, and many many years later when the painting was taken to New York, the spiritual turbulence of 1984 from 55 Central Park West helped awaken Vigo within this painting. And there he stayed in storage until his time...became a window. When Vigo is finally destroyed, the painting absorbs the only engery within the room, the postive engery from the GB's + Dana & Oscar. This energy manifests as the final image we see before the end credits.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]