Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Disney's released three $1b+ earners in March (Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, and Captain Marvel, not to mention they were going to put out Mulan). If the pandemic is fully over and society has broadly recovered to whatever our new normal is, then I think blockbusters are blockbusters and people will go to the theater in droves.
timeware wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:52 pm I wouldn't freak out just yet. This dates could still change again.yeah it sucks but tomorrow's also April 1. Keep that in mind.
This is definitely not an April Fool's joke, if that's your implication. (Also, April 1st is Wednesday, although maybe you're in a time zone where it's already Tuesday.)
Last edited by tylergfoster on March 30th, 2020, 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kingpin liked this
This just bites so much. March is my bday month so at least I know I have the most anticipated movie of my life to look forward to. Then again...why March though?

This seems like a summer or a Halloween movie to me. *shrugs*

Last edited by deadderek on March 30th, 2020, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
March is not necessarily a dead time of the year. More and more blockbusters are moving films earlier ahead of the summer as there has been a trend of a number of summer tentpoles bombing in the summertime due to overcrowding. If they had no confidence in it, they would throw it into Jan-Feb.

I'm just pissed that they moved it so far out after being this damn close to having it ready to go and we were literally within a week or two of seeing a new trailer. Should the film do well, it also just pushes a follow up even further out. :(

Maybe they will do some more effects work on it at least. That could be one silver lining.
moviemaker29 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:57 pmI'm just pissed that they moved it so far out after being this damn close to having it ready to go and we were literally within a week or two of seeing a new trailer. Should the film do well, it also just pushes a follow up even further out. :(
My two thoughts here are:

1) advertising costs money, so it's good that they stopped the advertising campaign before they had to sink much cash into it
2) if we'd gotten Trailer 2 and then Sony still ultimately had to push it because the crisis was still on, that'd make the wait even harder...
Kingpin liked this
I was ahead of myself, but still keep april fool's day in mind. Shitty April fool's joke you bet.

i just saw a click bait article detailing morbius and other film dates have been delayed.

Hotels near Disney are taking in reservations for June.1st and after so who knows if the dates are permanently cemented or not.

We could still have summer movies when things normalize. Disney's been silent on when they'll be reopening as well.
♫♪♪
I can wait, forever, GB3 to finally view.
I can wait, forever if you will.
I know it's worth it all -- to see Ghostbusters 3 -- with you.
♫♪♪
pizzarat, robbritton, Davideverona and 1 others liked this
timeware wrote: March 30th, 2020, 11:36 am I don't think they'll be messing with the release date.
Don't quote me on that but I believe Sony's playing the wait and see game. with the giant sign they just put up a new trailer's eminent.
Oooffff. That post didn’t age well.

March 5th eh? Looks like a Super Bowl spot might happen after all lol.

Jesus. How long have we been waiting for this movie? 25 years? And Corona virus just happens to hit the year our long awaited sequel comes out??

Figures.
Sav C, Kingpin, seekandannoy liked this
timeware wrote: March 30th, 2020, 8:38 pm I was ahead of myself, but still keep april fool's day in mind. Shitty April fool's joke you bet.

i just saw a click bait article detailing morbius and other film dates have been delayed.

Hotels near Disney are taking in reservations for June.1st and after so who knows if the dates are permanently cemented or not.

We could still have summer movies when things normalize. Disney's been silent on when they'll be reopening as well.
Dude. This isn’t an April fools day thing. This is happening. It’s being reported on all the trade sites. It’s not even April Fools day so your logic makes zero sense. Do you understand how reporting works? It’s not click bait. Check deadline.com, variety etc.

The release date is now March 2021. End of story.
moviemaker29, devilmanozzy, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
timeware wrote: March 30th, 2020, 9:10 pm Dude, all I'm saying is don't freak out . We don't know how long this will last. When this is over dates will change again.
That part is true, but Sony will want time to market this movie. Say the crisis ends in May. I would still guess that September would be the absolute earliest they'd consider releasing it (5-month advertising lead time), and even that might be a conservative guess as to how much time they would want. Their marketing strategy is going to be hugely influenced by how other studios date and handle the marketing on their 2020 shifts.
timeware, Kingpin liked this
Question now is this: will the film delay also push back the release of all the toys we all pre-ordered? What about the Spengler wand in September?

Will Hasbro take this extra time to maybe develop some additional products? Re-release the Kenner Ecto-1? Firehouse? New Barn Lab playset?
We do also need goggles and a trap to go with their other new roleplay items!
One of the marketing challenges is fast food tie in's right now. An Ecto one delivery commercial would work.

Maybe they'll release simple grocery store products like cereal and the Twinkies sooner then later.

I mean an actual Ghostbusters cereal and not just a decorated cornflakes box advertising RGB episodes.
I’m happy to take the hit in order to be able to see it for the first time in a cinema. Admittedly that could be because I was already resigned to the smaller UK delay, but still. I’m glad the announcement has come before a second trailer - too much promotion now would make it look like it was limping out next year.

Is there anywhere I can sign to opt out of living in interesting times? I was happy with average ones!
Kingpin liked this
robbritton wrote: March 30th, 2020, 10:02 pm I’m happy to take the hit in order to be able to see it for the first time in a cinema. Admittedly that could be because I was already resigned to the smaller UK delay, but still. I’m glad the announcement has come before a second trailer - too much promotion now would make it look like it was limping out next year.

Is there anywhere I can sign to opt out of living in interesting times? I was happy with average ones!
The ol' Chinese curse, eh? "May he live in interesting times".
Kingpin liked this
timeware wrote: March 30th, 2020, 9:10 pm Dude, all I'm saying is don't freak out . We don't know how long this will last. When this is over dates will change again.
Is that all you were saying? Because to me it seemed like you were trying to do that whole “fake news” thing. Generally speaking, massive multi national corporations like Sony don’t play April Fools Day pranks. And they especially don’t play April fools day jokes in March. During a global crisis.
Sav C, Kingpin, seekandannoy liked this
This is just dawned on me, but it's kinda odd that (even before the pandemic) that no pre-orders for the novelizations of Afterlife ever showed up on Amazon. If I remember right, for ATC, their novelizations released 1 month before the movie came out in theaters. Or I wonder if Sony/Ghost Corps tried to schedule it to come out after Afterlife to avoid spoilers.
Davideverona wrote:Plenty of time to prepare my Gb Cave in my new home
You moved into a new home? Congrats, dude!
Kingpin liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: March 31st, 2020, 3:48 am This is just dawned on me, but it's kinda odd that (even before the pandemic) that no pre-orders for the novelizations of Afterlife ever showed up on Amazon. If I remember right, for ATC, their novelizations released 1 month before the movie came out in theaters. Or I wonder if Sony/Ghost Corps tried to schedule it to come out after Afterlife to avoid spoilers.
Not yet.

Long story short: buyed a new home. The people who owned it needed a few extra months to finish THEIR new home. So they're staying in until June, then they'll move out and we'll move in.

In the meantime we're staying with my wife's parents, quarantined together.
God bless smart working 😁
Sav C, mrmichaelt liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: March 31st, 2020, 3:48 am This is just dawned on me, but it's kinda odd that (even before the pandemic) that no pre-orders for the novelizations of Afterlife ever showed up on Amazon. If I remember right, for ATC, their novelizations released 1 month before the movie came out in theaters. Or I wonder if Sony/Ghost Corps tried to schedule it to come out after Afterlife to avoid spoilers.
I'm not gonna lie, I'll probably buy the novelization if it came out soon. I'm inpatient like that.
I'm disappointed, of course, but not surprised or even upset. I can't fault the studio for wanting to protect their investment.

As I've said previously, I don't know what the average financial situation will be for household come may, meaning disposable income that could have been spent on moviegoing likely won't be used that way in the coming months even if theaters re-opened. You can't afford tickets and popcorn if you're laid off.

And I don't know how ready the public will be for a heartstring-tugging film about the loss of a family member -- let alone a film about chasing dead people -- after the death toll climbs.

Finally... Sony gets one shot at this. If they can't score a hit with this Ghostbusters film, that's pretty much the end of the film franchise. They have to get this right.

All that said, I think they're being wise, even if March is an odd time. No sense in dumping into heavy competition with other rescheduled films, though the date could change. I doubt that the tentpole films slated for 2021 have done much filming thus far.
robbritton, Sav C liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: March 31st, 2020, 9:10 am

I'm not gonna lie, I'll probably buy the novelization if it came out soon. I'm inpatient like that.
And the award for today's ironic pandemic typo goes to...
Coover5, seekandannoy liked this

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]