Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: November 26th, 2019, 9:59 pm I don't think they would need a new voice actor for Spengler though. I mean he has enough recorded dialog to take from the previous films and the video game.
Setting aside the point about how much time that'd take, there's also the fact that'd only work if the dialogue in the first two films, their deleted scenes, or the game would work with whatever Jason's got planned. If not, then a soundalike would have to be sought, and Maurice is probably still the best candidate to provide a voice for Egon (even if he has retired the character out of respect).

Assuming he's referring to the next Ghostbusters movie, and assuming the ghost is Egon.
robbritton liked this
By robbritton
The difficulty with Maurice LaMarche and the wider audience is that although he absolutely sounds like Egon to all of us, he doesn't really sound that much like Harold Ramis. Maurice's Egon voice is deep and mannered, where Harold's is more nasal and level. I imagine it would take the casual viewer out of the picture as much as it would warm our hearts.
Coover5 liked this
By deadderek
It's entirely possible Sony might have access to other Ramis material we don't even know about.

As far as no news on the 2020 front: this is all driving me bonkers but at the same time I'm loving it.

It's been almost a year since the announcement dropped and blew us all away. Yet outside of some minor leaks we really don't know much of anything about the movie.

This is wild.

:)
robbritton liked this
By Alphagaia
Davideverona wrote: November 27th, 2019, 7:11 am Loving it too.

It's like just before a thunderstorm. All becomes quite, no rumors, just a little air.... And then all of a sudden all hell breaks loose.
And people lose their home and / or their lives.

Mass hysteria.
By Kingpin
robbritton wrote: November 27th, 2019, 5:52 am The difficulty with Maurice LaMarche and the wider audience is that although he absolutely sounds like Egon to all of us, he doesn't really sound that much like Harold Ramis.
A worthwhile point, but I raise a counterpoint:

Outside of us core diehard fans, who in the more casual cinema-going audience is going to know that Maurice's voice is different to Harold's? It's like people referring to the Proton Packs as "backpacks", and Ecto-1 as the "Ghostbusters car". I'm willing to bet most people viewing a hypothetical Tarkin-like digital resurrection and vocal soundalike (hypothetically provided by Maurice) wouldn't really notice anything.
deadderek wrote: November 27th, 2019, 6:55 am It's entirely possible Sony might have access to other Ramis material we don't even know about.
Very likely, but whether it's of usable quality is up for debate, if the visual quality of the unused footage is as poor as we've seen, the audio may have suffered to the same degree after 30-35 years.
Alphagaia wrote: November 27th, 2019, 7:25 amAnd people lose their home and / or their lives.
I was kinda liking that analogy until that debbie-downer thought, Alpha. :(
Davideverona, robbritton, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
By robbritton
Kingpin wrote: November 27th, 2019, 8:14 am
robbritton wrote: November 27th, 2019, 5:52 am The difficulty with Maurice LaMarche and the wider audience is that although he absolutely sounds like Egon to all of us, he doesn't really sound that much like Harold Ramis.
A worthwhile point, but I raise a counterpoint:

Outside of us core diehard fans, who in the more casual cinema-going audience is going to know that Maurice's voice is different to Harold's? It's like people referring to the Proton Packs as "backpacks", and Ecto-1 as the "Ghostbusters car". I'm willing to bet most people viewing a hypothetical Tarkin-like digital resurrection and vocal soundalike (hypothetically provided by Maurice) wouldn't really notice anything.
You may be right, at that!
By tylergfoster
I think they're more likely to have been digging through the archives of dailies looking for material that they could retroactively craft scenes around to avoid having to use CGI or doubles, ala Carrie Fisher in Rise of Skywalker.

It is also possible, if you have enough of a person's voice, to create a synthesized version of it, which is something they did a decade ago for Roger Ebert using his audio commentaries after he'd lost his voice. I bet an even better version of that is possible now.
Wafflerobot liked this
By janeb984
robbritton wrote: November 27th, 2019, 5:52 am The difficulty with Maurice LaMarche and the wider audience is that although he absolutely sounds like Egon to all of us, he doesn't really sound that much like Harold Ramis. Maurice's Egon voice is deep and mannered, where Harold's is more nasal and level. I imagine it would take the casual viewer out of the picture as much as it would warm our hearts.
Maybe its not to voice Egon. Maybe having his voice in there at all is just an easter egg.

I think it would be exceptional if he did the voice for the villain, Ivo Shandor?
By Kingpin
droidguy1119 wrote: November 27th, 2019, 12:02 pm I think they're more likely to have been digging through the archives of dailies looking for material that they could retroactively craft scenes around to avoid having to use CGI or doubles, ala Carrie Fisher in Rise of Skywalker.
If the surviving dailies all look as rough as the Nobel Prize and Dana deleted scenes, or even the alternate takes after capturing Slimer, the crew would probably end up spending a chunk of change just cleaning that footage up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7avDa7v2qs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGnjHPbljXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGnjHPbljXE

At the moment, I don't think we'll be seeing old footage being directly utilised... Serving as the basis for building set reconstructions, or making digital mattes, but not being fully inserted into the film. I think a digital ghost of Egon is more likely, if we see him fully at all.
By Alphagaia
Counterpoint to that, they can reconstruct stuff and sets perfectly from the footage on a DVD or Blu-ray from the movie.

Them specifically looking for unseen stuff in a better quality (higher then Blu-ray, as the original reels are if I'm not mistaken) might suggest that they need certain footage for a bigger screen.
By tylergfoster
Yes, 35mm film has enough information in the image to top out somewhere between 6K and 8K. As far as quality goes, it'd be pretty easy to restore just Egon as you wouldn't be using any of the rest of the image's real estate.

Not sure what the Carrie Fisher comment means. I brought it up because no CGI or trickery was used on the Leia footage -- they've all said it was important not to bring in doubles, recast, or augment. So if you think she looks like "a ghoul," I mean, you're just directing that at her. It's entirely footage from The Force Awakens that wasn't used, likely with Daisy Ridley just reshooting her half of it.

I personally see no good (as in not extremely corny) way for Egon to be a ghost. Definitely want the movie to pay tribute, and I think we'll be seeing him on-screen, but a ghost Egon to me just brings to mind all of those awful fanart pieces that popped up when he died.
groschopf wrote: November 29th, 2019, 7:55 am The studio must have conceded that the Ecto-1 cat is out of the bag, since they're letting Celebrity Machines use photos of it from the set to sell replica plates from the Wreckto:

https://celebritymachines.com/collectio ... ixpbB_o7uo

I mean it was never really that much “in the bag” considering it was in the teaser trailer.
Kingpin liked this
By Timo
droidguy1119 wrote:Yes, 35mm film has enough information in the image to top out somewhere between 6K and 8K. As far as quality goes, it'd be pretty easy to restore just Egon as you wouldn't be using any of the rest of the image's real estate.

Not sure what the Carrie Fisher comment means. I brought it up because no CGI or trickery was used on the Leia footage -- they've all said it was important not to bring in doubles, recast, or augment. So if you think she looks like "a ghoul," I mean, you're just directing that at her. It's entirely footage from The Force Awakens that wasn't used, likely with Daisy Ridley just reshooting her half of it.

I personally see no good (as in not extremely corny) way for Egon to be a ghost. Definitely want the movie to pay tribute, and I think we'll be seeing him on-screen, but a ghost Egon to me just brings to mind all of those awful fanart pieces that popped up when he died.
I guess he was talking about CGI Leia in Rogue One, not Leia from the upconing Rise of Skywalker.
I'm not a fan of CGI characters, I think the fake Peter Cushing was a terrible and a computer animated Egon would be tasteless af. I believe in Jason being an awesone storyteller and his idea will be better than CGI Egon fanfiction.
BatDan liked this
By groschopf
Doctor Venkman wrote: November 29th, 2019, 8:11 am I mean it was never really that much “in the bag” considering it was in the teaser trailer.
Fair point. It wasn't entirely in the bag, but it was still under a tarp.

This is the first time I've seen an outlet with permission to use pictures from the new film show the car in full instead of a screencapture of the bumper and back door from the teaser.

I mean... it's nothing we haven't seen here. But it does make me wonder if it's indicative of us seeing some official imagery soon. No point in keeping a secret if it's about to be very public.
robbritton, Kingpin liked this
By Kingpin
I love you guys, I was gonna do the "cat out of the bag" bit when it came up. :)
groschopf wrote: November 29th, 2019, 10:32 am A Sheriff in New Mexico reports a UFO encounter.
The crew of the S.S. Ourang Medan dies mysteriously.
The entire town of Langville, Montana goes missing.
Little tidbit on the "S.S. Ourang Medan", despite the prevalence of the story, and it inspiring a game from the people who brought us Until Dawn, the ship and the incident attributed to it appear to be entirely ficticious.
Alphagaia, groschopf, robbritton and 2 others liked this
By timeware
Timo wrote: November 29th, 2019, 8:21 am
droidguy1119 wrote:Yes, 35mm film has enough information in the image to top out somewhere between 6K and 8K. As far as quality goes, it'd be pretty easy to restore just Egon as you wouldn't be using any of the rest of the image's real estate.

I guess he was talking about CGI Leia in Rogue One, not Leia from the upconing Rise of Skywalker.
I'm not a fan of CGI characters, I think the fake Peter Cushing was a terrible and a computer animated Egon would be tasteless af. I believe in Jason being an awesone storyteller and his idea will be better than CGI Egon fanfiction.
I was referring to rogue one. It wasn't a very good cgi replacement. Give it a few years that kind of cgi will be a lot better.
By groschopf
I don't put a lot of stock in foreign websites telling us what the title is when there would naturally be a bunch of translation issues (to say nothing of veracity of the source). The franchise isn't even called"Ghostbusters" from country to country.

SOS Fantômes in France.
Els Caçafantasmes in Spain.
Acchiappafantasmi in Italy.
Geisterjäger in Germany.

I don't think the title would be one-to-one even if there was a chance that these reports were accurate.
RichRyan1507 liked this

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]