Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
The main thing I disliked about TFA was retreading the threat -- once again there's a version of the Empire that suddenly sprung forth after the events of the original trilogy, and once again there's a Death Star-esque weapon that plucky rebels will take out with This One Simple Trick™.

So far I've liked the idea of reusing the Gozerian mythos because it sounds like a bit more of an origin story instead of a beat-for-beat rehash. Completely changing the location helps. I like the idea of not knowing who to trust in that setting given that it seems to be a cult town. A bit less TFA and a bit more Get Out.

But if they Battle Stay Puft again...meh. We've seen that in the cartoons and comics already (Cry Uncle and Infestation). Even the Statue of Liberty in GB2 was too slavish to that formula (especially in the original ending).

groschopf wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:53 am The main thing I disliked about TFA was retreading the threat -- once again there's a version of the Empire that suddenly sprung forth after the events of the original trilogy, and once again there's a Death Star-esque weapon that plucky rebels will take out with This One Simple Trick™.

So far I've liked the idea of reusing the Gozerian mythos because it sounds like a bit more of an origin story instead of a beat-for-beat rehash. Completely changing the location helps. I like the idea of not knowing who to trust in that setting given that it seems to be a cult town. A bit less TFA and a bit more Get Out.

But if they Battle Stay Puft again...meh. We've seen that in the cartoons and comics already (Cry Uncle and Infestation). Even the Statue of Liberty in GB2 was too slavish to that formula (especially in the original ending).

I kinda liked the original idea of the statue of liberty becoming something evil, it's very cynical and it could be a great metaphor. But you're right, the whole thing was a rehash and while I absolutely love the movie, it wasn't very creative.
tylergfoster, groschopf, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
I like the Statue of Liberty in II because it's integral to the plan of positively charging the slime, instead of being randomly conjured thought again like in the first movie.

With that said, yeah... I could do without Stay-Puft being in this movie. I know Juno Reitman wants to really re-connect with the original movie, but that would feel like over-kill at that level. That advertisement on the side of the building is good enough for me.
groschopf, Kingpin, Sav C liked this
As a kid, I wanted to see Stay Puft again because he was my favorite ghost. But as an adult, bringing Stay Puft back just seems like forced fan-service. It would have to be such a compelling reason to do this, but I cannot think of one.

With that said, I do think there is a strong possibility that when the kids are watching the archived footage of the Ghostbusters outside of 55 Central Park West, that there will be news footage that shows Stay Puft's attack from 1984.
pizzarat wrote: February 6th, 2020, 9:19 am I like the Statue of Liberty in II because it's integral to the plan of positively charging the slime, instead of being randomly conjured thought again like in the first movie.

With that said, yeah... I could do without Stay-Puft being in this movie. I know Juno Reitman wants to really re-connect with the original movie, but that would feel like over-kill at that level. That advertisement on the side of the building is good enough for me.
I gotta ask, (and it’s not to be aggro, honest!) what’s with the “Juno Reitman” thing? It’s making me want to call Ivan “Cannibal Girls Reitman”, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I’m worried I’m missing the gag!

As to Stay Puft, I’m happy if he’s back if Gozer is back and it serves the story, but not just as fan service. Having as an in-world product on a poster again is enough!
robbritton wrote: February 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm
pizzarat wrote: February 6th, 2020, 9:19 am I like the Statue of Liberty in II because it's integral to the plan of positively charging the slime, instead of being randomly conjured thought again like in the first movie.

I gotta ask, (and it’s not to be aggro, honest!) what’s with the “Juno Reitman” thing? It’s making me want to call Ivan “Cannibal Girls Reitman”, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I’m worried I’m missing the gag!

As to Stay Puft, I’m happy if he’s back if Gozer is back and it serves the story, but not just as fan service. Having as an in-world product on a poster again is enough!
Well, since Jason isn't technically a "Junior", I decided to nickname him Juno to quickly identify him as the younger one. :D

At Fan Fest I brought a sealed copy of Legal Eagles on Laserdisc, and asked if Ivan would hold it for the photo. It made Juno laugh!
robbritton liked this
She may not be playing anything other than a small role in the film, but here's a short article on Sydney Diaz, who'll be appearing in Afterlife, which'll be her first motion picture role:

Valley Streamer to appear in new ‘Ghostbusters’ film
groschopf, Davideverona liked this
I will be more disappointed by a lack of Ecto Coolers more than anything else. I can deal with the toyline not being all that great IF they re-release Ecto Cooler. I can honestly see why they wouldn't invest too much in a toyline anyway because kids just don't seem to play with toys as much as they did in our original GB generation. I PERSONALLY still collect toys to this day and have a TON of TMNT still MIB and tons of MOTU, Thundercats, and Ghostbusters as well. I even have Winston and Egon on their original cards but I also have a 9 and 6 year old and both of them would rather play a video game or a tablet more than almost any toy. My little boy loves playing with Nerf guns and my little girl likes a few baby dolls but for the most part they're sorta indifferent to what our generation would regard as "toys". Makes me a little sad but it's just a sign of the time.
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 3:58 pm I will be more disappointed by a lack of Ecto Coolers more than anything else. I can deal with the toyline not being all that great IF they re-release Ecto Cooler. I can honestly see why they wouldn't invest too much in a toyline anyway because kids just don't seem to play with toys as much as they did in our original GB generation. I PERSONALLY still collect toys to this day and have a TON of TMNT still MIB and tons of MOTU, Thundercats, and Ghostbusters as well. I even have Winston and Egon on their original cards but I also have a 9 and 6 year old and both of them would rather play a video game or a tablet more than almost any toy. My little boy loves playing with Nerf guns and my little girl likes a few baby dolls but for the most part they're sorta indifferent to what our generation would regard as "toys". Makes me a little sad but it's just a sign of the time.
My son turned nine on Tuesday, and got about thirteen different Godzillas of various shapes and sizes. He hasn’t stopped playing with them since! I mean, that’s hardly a controlled scientific test, but I don’t think toys are getting phased out anytime soon!
groschopf, Kingpin liked this
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 3:58 pm I will be more disappointed by a lack of Ecto Coolers more than anything else. I can deal with the toyline not being all that great IF they re-release Ecto Cooler. I can honestly see why they wouldn't invest too much in a toyline anyway because kids just don't seem to play with toys as much as they did in our original GB generation. I PERSONALLY still collect toys to this day and have a TON of TMNT still MIB and tons of MOTU, Thundercats, and Ghostbusters as well. I even have Winston and Egon on their original cards but I also have a 9 and 6 year old and both of them would rather play a video game or a tablet more than almost any toy. My little boy loves playing with Nerf guns and my little girl likes a few baby dolls but for the most part they're sorta indifferent to what our generation would regard as "toys". Makes me a little sad but it's just a sign of the time.
Personally I don't get the obsession with Ecto Cooler. It tastes horrible. But it's not for everyone.
I have a niece and nephew who play with toys non stop. My nephew wont go anywhere without his Buzz Lightyear. I think toys are still as popular as ever.

Additionally 146 days left! Surely Jason Reitmen will drop something for us soon.
groschopf liked this
robbritton wrote: February 6th, 2020, 4:21 pm
My son turned nine on Tuesday, and got about thirteen different Godzillas of various shapes and sizes. He hasn’t stopped playing with them since! I mean, that’s hardly a controlled scientific test, but I don’t think toys are getting phased out anytime soon!
I'm honestly glad to hear of kids playing with toys still. It hurt me more when Toys R Us said they were going away than it did my kids. My kids have TONS of toys but they just don't spend that much time playing with them. They would rather be playing Switch really. I loved games and toys as a kid but I'd say in their heart of hearts they would prefer electronics AS toys instead of actual toys as toys.
robbritton liked this
Kingpin wrote: February 6th, 2020, 3:54 pm They may not be playing anything other than a small role in the film, but here's a short article on Sydney Diaz, who'll be appearing in Afterlife, which'll be their first motion picture role:

Valley Streamer to appear in new ‘Ghostbusters’ film
FINALLY, we know who "Swayze" listed on IMDB is. Sounds like Diaz is excited for this. Looking forward to seeing them in the film!

Good to know that Reitman is so focused on ensuring chemistry between his actors. Between the cast selections and the direction, I think we'll be in for solid performances.
Kingpin, robbritton, Corey91 liked this
timeware wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:46 pm The obsession with Ecto Cooler is more...nalstogic I believe. If they re released the old tmnt Chex cereal I'd guarantee if be camping out for it.
TMNT vanilla creampies or GTFO

pizzarat, groschopf liked this
Davideverona wrote: February 6th, 2020, 11:40 pm Why in the hell all those sweets didn't came out in Italy???

We had all the toy lines but nothing regarding all the sideline merchandise. No TMNT snack, no Slimer chewing gum, no RGB cereals, no Ecto Cooler.
Count your blessings: that stuff isn't healthy at all.
Davideverona, Corey91 liked this
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 3:58 pm I can honestly see why they wouldn't invest too much in a toyline anyway because kids just don't seem to play with toys as much as they did in our original GB generation. I PERSONALLY still collect toys to this day and have a TON of TMNT still MIB and tons of MOTU, Thundercats, and Ghostbusters as well. I even have Winston and Egon on their original cards but I also have a 9 and 6 year old and both of them would rather play a video game or a tablet more than almost any toy.
My nieces and nephew do play a small selection of games, but most often when they're visiting my parents they play with the host of toys we've accumulated over the years.
Alphagaia, robbritton liked this
janeb984 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 12:15 pm I'm glad all you guys had such blessed childhoods. I never got any toys from a store and my mom couldn't afford brand named junk food. All my RGB toys came from yard sales. I've never even had an Ecto-Cooler
Man I hate to hear that but maybe they'll release them again and you'll be able to get your hands on them so you can find out how wrong all those on here who don't like them are. LOL! Although, I don't know how good you are at cooking but there is actually a youtube vid that shows you how to make them. I personally am TERRIBLE with making things but have really wished I could talk to someone that has actually tried their recipe.
I was watching GB2 a little bit ago and got to thinking about something that I'm not sure if it has been mentioned. It seems the internet theory is that mayhaps Egon and Janine had some kind of relationship and hence his grandchildren but wouldn't that sorta poke holes in the GB2 side story of her and Lewis? Although her and Egon DID go on at least one date on the show but I figure they're not gonna count the show as canon. Even though I wish they would because it had some awesome villains and fleshed out the characters origins a little more as well.
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm I was watching GB2 a little bit ago and got to thinking about something that I'm not sure if it has been mentioned. It seems the internet theory is that mayhaps Egon and Janine had some kind of relationship and hence his grandchildren but wouldn't that sorta poke holes in the GB2 side story of her and Lewis? Although her and Egon DID go on at least one date on the show but I figure they're not gonna count the show as canon. Even though I wish they would because it had some awesome villains and fleshed out the characters origins a little more as well.

I don't think Janine and Louis were really together, I think that they were on the verge of sleeping together, in a heat of the moment thing, but I don't think they did, because Dana walked in. Janine was just having a hormonal trip, lol. (Cause of a cute baby and a guy holding one does crazy stuff to a woman sometimes)

I seriously believe that Jason watched RGB growing up... it has to have influenced the story line, even if indirectly.

I think they can ignore the Louis thing, or they can explain it away.

I really hope that Egon and Janine are the grandparents too.

But I also wonder how Janine is gonna be the grandmother and not have helped them financially.
janeb984 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 1:11 pm
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm I was watching GB2 a little bit ago and got to thinking about something that I'm not sure if it has been mentioned. It seems the internet theory is that mayhaps Egon and Janine had some kind of relationship and hence his grandchildren but wouldn't that sorta poke holes in the GB2 side story of her and Lewis? Although her and Egon DID go on at least one date on the show but I figure they're not gonna count the show as canon. Even though I wish they would because it had some awesome villains and fleshed out the characters origins a little more as well.

I don't think Janine and Louis were really together, I think that they were on the verge of sleeping together, in a heat of the moment thing, but I don't think they did, because Dana walked in. Janine was just having a hormonal trip, lol. (Cause of a cute baby and a guy holding one does crazy stuff to a woman sometimes)

I seriously believe that Jason watched RGB growing up... it has to have influenced the story line, even if indirectly.

I think they can ignore the Louis thing, or they can explain it away.

I really hope that Egon and Janine are the grandparents too.

But I also wonder how Janine is gonna be the grandmother and not have helped them financially.
Another thing too about the Janine and Egon thing is that in the first film he was just indifferent at best to her. I will honestly maybe be a little disappointed if they make it out like Egon and Janine went on to have some sort of deep and meaningful relationship because the film just seemed a little too lighthearted for me to buy into that. I mean Venkman and Dana actually DID have a relationship but even that one was very tongue-in-cheek in GB2. The thing that will help me to accept Egon and Janine as real though would be the show more than anything because that at least made their relationship seem more plausible. Whereas the film just sort of took it as a comedic side plot of Egon being the nerdy guy that the chicks could still dig. (Which I can TOTALLY identify with btw...) LOL!
Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dolla[…]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last mil[…]

New details https://i.imgur.com/0cWzlPm.jpeg […]

A Victorian Ghostbuster

Since September I put up a new shop building, and […]