Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Coover5
This Post Contains Spoilers
Sav C, JWils23, below_radar_00 and 1 others liked this
By timeware
Not that I'm opposed to the return of the Gozarian that must not be named, (see what I did there?) why would Shandor cultists re invest in a horse that couldn't finish the race? I would assume they would be trying to summon something more dangerous. Possibly along the lines of H.P. lovecraftish? Maybe Egon hooked up with a Shandor during the drunken barn dance and was caught trying to steal a spell book?
By SpaceBallz
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
BatDan wrote: August 19th, 2019, 3:14 pm
I really hope that
lozbloke, Sav C liked this
LOL! Well one way or another a villain is going to be undermined depending on your view. You could say that Ivo Shandor knew exactly what he was doing when he pumped the slime into the sewer there by undermining Vigo or you could say that Ivo Shandor was not getting the results he wanted from his slime experiments and threw the stuff in the sewer because it was a failed experiment. Then you could say that Vigo used his skills as a powerful magician to tap into the Slime and turning Shandor's failure into something he could utilize. ;)

Again probably depends on one's view. :):):)
By Alphagaia
What's the problem with Ivo Shandor deliberately using the slime to stream towards a place of culture? It building up would eventually unleash a powerful spirit like Vigo. Just like the Scoleri Brothers were brought back by the slime in just a few hours?

His followers might even have sent the picture to the museum.
philmorgan81 liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: August 19th, 2019, 5:02 pm The sherriff car symbols
Isn’t it one of those
mrmichaelt liked this
Vigo just stole from a power source the cult amassed for Gozer. End of story. I think it's safe to say Vigo worshiped himself.
robbritton wrote:
Good eye.
robbritton liked this
By Kalonthar
Speaking of
By Alphagaia
mrmichaelt wrote: August 20th, 2019, 2:51 am Vigo just stole from a power source the cult amassed for Gozer. End of story. I think it's safe to say Vigo worshiped himself.
I never said Vigo worshipped Gozer, though. I treat him as kind of a backup plan.
I was replying to Kingpin. I must've deleted the quote by mistake. Sorry I gave you the wrong impression. Idk, the back up plan was the mandala system. And to be fair, Winston speculated the Cult of Gozer was responsible for the river. It was never verified as fact. The IDW comics seem to have gone a better route of saying this type of ectoplasm is a psycho-natural occurrence under populated centers, there was a pool of positively charged psychomagnotheric slime under Coney Island and a negatively charged river under Las Vegas found so far.
robbritton liked this
Is the Vigo connection to Gozer from the game? I don't remember that.

As others have suggested, I like the idea of the Shandor cult having moved onto a different thing to summon, although that big G certainly suggests otherwise...
By lozbloke
I have to say, I'm quite excited by the Gozer aspect being revisited, as long as it isn't a complete rehash. Though from what little we know so far, it doesn't seem to be.

I remember Jason specifying that he found terror dogs scary from the first film so, given the Gozer aspect, it wouldn't surprise me if one pops up in this.....which again would please me big time!
droidguy1119 wrote: August 19th, 2019, 6:10 pm
groschopf wrote: August 19th, 2019, 5:03 pm If Egon is connected at all, I could see him having been a fertility donor. That would make the timeline and identity mystery make sense. They wouldn't know who the dad under those circumstances.

I mean, he is the dude that slept with mood slime and talked about his epididymitis.
I could buy this.
RichardLess wrote: August 19th, 2019, 5:24 pm Guys. And girls. The video game has nothing to do with the movie. Average Joe six pack doesn't know about it.
They aren't going to have Gozer be the Villian 3 times. This movie has been described as a love letter to the original.

The video game is not canon.
Three times? If we're ruling out The Video Game, then what are the other two times?
That's what I mean. If they included the video game as canon that would mean this is the 3rd time Gozer makes an appearance and is vital to the story. They aren't going to do that.
Taking a look at that symbol again, we seem to be overlooking the circle. I'm assuming the circle represents earth. We've got what looks like a representation of Central Park West Temple. And 3 others. One looks like some kind of hutt or tepee. How many here have seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind? One of those images reminds me of Devil's Tower, a very prominent landmark featured in the film.

Also. This is a stretch and probably not at all the case but the towns name is Summerville right? And Gozer was a Sumerian? I know I know lol. It's a reach.

If the filmmakers are reading this board right now I'd bet they are loving our wild speculation. To a quote an extremely awful Dan Aykroyd movie "it's like playing chess in the dark" (ugh..Pearl Harbor. Though Dan is actually the only interesting thing in the movie)
twmedford23, robbritton liked this
Alphagaia wrote: August 20th, 2019, 2:22 am What's the problem with Ivo Shandor deliberately using the slime to stream towards a place of culture? It building up would eventually unleash a powerful spirit like Vigo. Just like the Scoleri Brothers were brought back by the slime in just a few hours?

His followers might even have sent the picture to the museum.
Actually that part didn't trouble me at all. Winston's theory about the mood slime being pumped into the New York Sewer by the Gozer cult is one of the hundreds of things I loved on the game. ;)

I love the little touches like the Vigo painting making an appearance, the use of the slime blowers, the way the Ecto 1B looked like a nice marriage between the Classic Ecto 1 and Ecto 1A from GB 2, and Winston's Cult Slime theory were a real nice way to tie the events of 2 movies together. :):):)
lozbloke wrote: August 20th, 2019, 8:27 am I have to say, I'm quite excited by the Gozer aspect being revisited, as long as it isn't a complete rehash. Though from what little we know so far, it doesn't seem to be.

I remember Jason specifying that he found terror dogs scary from the first film so, given the Gozer aspect, it wouldn't surprise me if one pops up in this.....which again would please me big time!

I agree with you and RedSpecial. Terror Dogs have been really missed the past 2 movies. I always thought it would awesome to see the Ghostbusters driving the Ecto 1 and being chased by a horde of terror dogs. I dreamt of that ever since I was a kid. ;)

I always loved the Terror Dogs, they weren't just whisky apparitions these things were corporeal and horrifying. There are the so many things in Ghostbusters that are iconic and I am glad that the Terror Dogs have been getting a lot of love the passed few years with toys getting made of them. I think it would be awesome if Gozer is getting revisited if these things made a comeback on the big screen. :):):)
lozbloke liked this
By groschopf
RichardLess wrote: August 20th, 2019, 10:02 am
This is a stretch and probably not at all the case but the towns name is Summerville right? And Gozer was a Sumerian? I know I know lol. It's a reach.
I don’t think that’s a stretch at all. The animated series had werewolves living in Lupusville (lupus being Latin for “wolf”).

In fact, the Sumerian connection makes more sense while lending the town a facade of innocence by sounding like a quaint vacation spot.
tylergfoster liked this
By Coover5
I would say it's a stretch but the sheriff is supposedly Sheriff Domingo. Domingo is Sunday. Sunday is the Holy Day or Sabbath. While I don't see that really coming into play to me its suggests consideration when picking names meaning the names aren't picked at random.
Alphagaia liked this
By JonXCTrack
lozbloke, Sav C liked this
By groschopf
To my eye,
Last edited by groschopf on August 20th, 2019, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichRyan1507, Kingpin liked this

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]