Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I’m going to assume that all the equipment is there which means multiple packs. Seemingly all of the guys jumpsuits are there as well
Coover5 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:10 am How about a pic of the pack laying on the table?

Interesting to see that one didn't have a bumper but the one McKenna Grace uses does. Either there are two packs or she fixes one. Interesting either way.
Coover5 liked this
The PKE meter (very near and dear to my heart) has been tweaked. I immediately noticed the face is a bit rounded, where it's 100% flat in the original prop. I also noticed her fingers aren't actually in contact with any of the touch switches.

Upon downloading the trailer and stepping through that shot it looks like the touchswitches are bigger now (more like on the toys), rather than the chrome wire of the original. But the biggest change is it looks like they've added additional lights to the tips and undersides of the wings. At first I thought it might be a light leak, but there's definitely some new light nubs that aren't on the original.

Sav C liked this
Adub794 wrote:
Chronos wrote: December 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm The "ECTO Pack" could may be part of the gunner seat? Looks like the frame around the pack is attached to the back of the car seat.

100% agree. It’s attached to the seat
I guess you don't see the details huh? There's extra square metal framing on the pack around the cyclotron.. and the motherboard is made of square aluminum with mesh plating... The image of her right elbow you see it as well...Here I will show you..lol
WShawn wrote: December 9th, 2019, 1:05 pm The PKE meter (very near and dear to my heart) has been tweaked. I immediately noticed the face is a bit rounded, where it's 100% flat in the original prop. I also noticed her fingers aren't actually in contact with any of the touch switches.

Upon downloading the trailer and stepping through that shot it looks like the touchswitches are bigger now (more like on the toys), rather than the chrome wire of the original. But the biggest change is it looks like they've added additional lights to the tips and undersides of the wings. At first I thought it might be a light leak, but there's definitely some new light nubs that aren't on the original.

From the silver buttons alone, you can tell its a modified Matty Collector PKE.
back liked this
Talyn wrote:
WShawn wrote: December 9th, 2019, 1:05 pm The PKE meter (very near and dear to my heart) has been tweaked. I immediately noticed the face is a bit rounded, where it's 100% flat in the original prop. I also noticed her fingers aren't actually in contact with any of the touch switches.

From the silver buttons alone, you can tell its a modified Matty Collector PKE.
I 100% believe that is a Matty as well
Jimsy33 liked this
Here's the Matty PKE from a similar angle:

The raised viewscreen plate of the Matty is MUCH higher than in the film clip. That plate on this sequel prop is curved along with WIDTH of the prop (conforming to that contour) while that contour is flat along the width of the Matty (though curved along the length). The selector switch looks much flatter in the sequel prop. To my eye (and I've been studying the PKE meter since the early 90s) the only similarities between the Matty and the sequel prop are the buttons, which look like the clunky physical buttons of the toy and not the wires of the original prop.

In the original prop below that plate is completely flat:

It's sad if it is just a modified Matty. You'd think they could afford to dig up an Iona to start from scratch.
Jimsy33 liked this
It was a super complicated prop though.... starting from a Matty means they dont have to try putting all that functionality in. Its not the first time a licensed replica would have made it into a film. It just seems like a better place to start. Maybe they just gutted one and used the electronics and buttons but put it all into a real Iona.

The thickness of the wings also looks more like the Matty. I imaging if you scuffed up the silver paint on the bottom of the wings, the light would leak like that.
WShawn, back liked this
The fact that the wings are deployed in both shots where you can see her fingers in relation to the buttons would lead one to guess that it's partially based on the Matty as it can have the wings deployed without contacting the buttons. The momentary touch switches used on the original require the user to keep their finger on one of the set of contacts to keep the wings up.

The Matty guts feel pretty low-tech to me. The servo-driven prop built in the 80s crams an insane amount of analog electronics and batteries into that tiny space. Almost all of those electronic functions can be replaced by a much more compact micro controller like the Teensy Arduino I'm using in my version of the classic prop, as laid out here:

https://youtu.be/VQWdosrXqMU

They've definitely added LEDs/lights to the bottom of the wing tip and along the bottom of the wings. You can see the discrete light on the bottom tip in the above screen cap, and you can clearly see lights chasing along the underside in the previous exterior shot approaching the dilapidated shed.

Just an observation, looks like they went with the Sony Lobby 'Super Hero' pack style mounting for the shell (no bolt on the corner of the pack) Also looks like they are using the big hex nut on the dale resistor. If I'm not mistaken that was never on a movie pack, but was commonly used on fan made packs for some reason.
I just wanted to chime in and say that you all are awesome. On my second viewing of the trailer I said out loud "Looks like a GB1 ribbon cable." and I'm so happy there's a place online where -anyone- knows what I meant by that. Not only, It's one of the first comments on this thread!

Love y'all.
Adub794, RedSpecial, back and 3 others liked this
Lowberg wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:46 pmImage

Just an observation, looks like they went with the Sony Lobby 'Super Hero' pack style mounting for the shell (no bolt on the corner of the pack) Also looks like they are using the big hex nut on the dale resistor. If I'm not mistaken that was never on a movie pack, but was commonly used on fan made packs for some reason.
My only peeve is, if a fully grown man has issues with the weight of the proton packs, how are we supposed to believe kids are not going have issues with them?

:cool:
back, 2GunsRacing liked this
My only peeve is, if a fully grown man has issues with the weight of the proton packs, how are we supposed to believe kids are not going have issues with them?

Well as we all know quite well, grown men complain about almost everything- especially when it comes to our backs!
zeta otaku, deadderek, CPU64 liked this
The pack in the car is pretty much similar in design to the OG packs except with the Ion arm being relocated, probably due to the way the chair moves or folds up.

Jimsy33 liked this
rockstar232007 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:49 am
Lowberg wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:46 pmImage

:cool:
Fair.... but when you were an kid ....Didnt you want a Proton Pack?? ;) Lets all try to remember what it was like playing with all our old Kenner RGB toys... Allow your 'inner-child' come out to play for a bit ;)
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]