Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!

It can drive hundereds of leds (according to the video).. with a portable power supply, and additional sound controlling, it could be the cheapest light and sound option out there. The Pi is $30+, and the led board shown is about $16.
His code is written in python, and its available for download here:
https://github.com/joewalnes/raspberry- ... -animation

The only issues I'd think would be the amp and speaker, and power supply. Assuming those cost $50, that would deliver this complete for about $100 tops.

Just thinking out of the box.. I saw some people using the Pi for RC applications like controlling servos and robotic motion control.

Ghostguy's might still be a the easiest current option, but as the Pi gains popular support, it might end up being the go to prop control board for everything.
It is very funny to see this post here. I had forgotten about it completely. I actually have 4 of the 512MB Rasp Pi that I've been playing around with.

I have been thinking about the possibility to use the Rasp Pi as a replacement for the GBFans Sound Board. It wouldn't be too difficult to build a board that plugs in on top of the Pi that could adapt to the light kits, and trigger other actions. Plus you could definitely add other cool features to your pack such as a small LCD screen, or display... you could have WiFi / Bluetooth and control your pack from a distance... add additional features.. etc.

The main problem with the Pi is that is can be hard to power them off of a battery, and power them for a long time.
I will be testing it out in the near future, I like how you're thinking. With a 6000mAh 3S lipo battery you should be able to get...
lipo capacity: 6000mah
Divide that by 1000 to get A/h = 6
If the Pi is running in tandem with a sound system at about 2~3A, 5V regulated, then 2-3 hrs perhaps?

I am running the mighty controller in my pack, so it would be fairly easy to swap out another controller/riser board to try it out. When I get time, I'll let you know how it turns out!
Sorry if this is considered resurrecting, but I was actually considering the same thing for my next PP build.

There's been an update in Pi hardware: a B+ version that has 40 pins (27 IOs) which is pretty decent for controlling power cell (16) + cycletron (4) + possibly the gun as well (7). (Of course, the PC can very depending on how many LEDs you wanna use)

I'm currently looking into the possibility of it as well as probably looking forward to investing in these $45 pieces. Sound though, I think it'd be wise to run it though a separate amplifier as I wouldn't count it being any louder than headphones. The way I see it: you stick one of these B+s for passive lights and a second Pi for main controls from the gun to accommodate for sounds and different programs.
what's running so much power that you can't use them? You try building a MOSFET system yet? Right now I'm running high-current loads on a single in-out-signal chip.
Carrying out the tradition of bringing this old thread back from the grave, I'd like to see any setup people may have made using the Raspberry Pi. I have many components to get this started including two pi zeros, a teensy lc, wiring, switches, many LEDs (will need more), a hefty amp, and a speaker. If you have experience with or pictures of setups using these components, your assistance is appreciated. I don't want my face burned off.
Dexter liked this
I'm looking into the Raspberry Pi as an option right now as I've purchased a few Rasberry Pi 3 Model B+'s (1GB) for the home (Plex Media Server, Kids homework stations, etc.) and I was wondering if anyone has had a successful build using the Pi's thus far to encompass the "Entertainment Package" for a pack build so to speak?

Honestly I'd love to build a Pack that has the following: Lights, Sounds, & Smoke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXkIaewQ1oA using the Pi

There is an awesome instructional video smoke install kit here: https://youtu.be/DHU6KLtOE9g

I'm wondering if there is a way to somehow incorporate them into a single Pack that has a much cleaner look on the inside (much like a custom PC build) & have created one to date?

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]