Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
By Rinji79

This has been a question that has plagued me for literally DECADES! I have asked so many people out there, and there are so many opinions on the matter. Almost every one of the people I meet are on one side or the other, but there are some who are met with the same question. Who is the better Comicbook hero? Spider-man or Batman?

Yes, you can make a case that Batman is for DC and Spider-man is for Marvel, but they are both my favorite of all time. Now, I know they are not the favorite for everyone, but even if they're not, people usually have an opinion on who is better. Yet, I cannot find anything that could sway my vote either way on the matter, and I have definitely tried.

Some would say that Spider-man is better because he actually has Super Powers, and Batman does not. Well, that's a silly reason to like Spider-man better. Batman not having super powers just endears him more because he's done many feats that Spider-man has, and without that one advantage. Many would say that Batman was better because he has been turned into a god. Well, that wouldn't even sway my vote, because, really, I've never liked God-Modding in any way shape or form. Plus, Spider-man has had cosmic energy at his disposal before in order to defeat extremely powerful bad guys.

There has just never been a deciding factor for me, and I still can't be clear. I love both of them, and their comic storylines have very seldom disappointed. I just wanted to ask you guys who you would pick out of the two. If you want, just tell me between the two, and tell me your favorite comicbook hero overall along with them, it's not a strict thread by any means.

So what'dya think, sirs?
By Winston1986
I like both equally though I will admit I lean more on Spider-Man. I've also read way more comics with Spider-Man than Batman. Fun fact, in the original 30s and 40s Batman comics he killed people and even later on used guns on them. In fact, the Tim Burton Batman movie based some of its story on those old comics. The origin of the Joker in that movie is homage to the very first Batman comic where Batman tracks down a murderer to a chemical plant and then pushes him into the chemicals, killing him.
By Rinji79
Spider-Man has a strong case lately. Spider-verse is probably the greatest storyline they could have cashed in on with its own comicbook series (I.E. Web Warriors). It's ten times better than Batman Corps. I honestly didn't want a million Batmen from every country just to see them all get killed off or never seen again. Spider Gwen is definitely a front runner for the greatest Spider-man doppelganger.

Still, Winston, if you would indulge me, I would like to look through their Pros and Cons through all of their mediums. Movies, Comics, TV Shows, Cartoons, and all of that other stuff. I know you're a Spider-man fan just like me, so we could just make this thread a thread to figure this little thing out.
By Winston1986
Rinji79 wrote:Spider-Man has a strong case lately. Spider-verse is probably the greatest storyline they could have cashed in on with its own comicbook series (I.E. Web Warriors). It's ten times better than Batman Corps. I honestly didn't want a million Batmen from every country just to see them all get killed off or never seen again. Spider Gwen is definitely a front runner for the greatest Spider-man doppelganger.

Still, Winston, if you would indulge me, I would like to look through their Pros and Cons through all of their mediums. Movies, Comics, TV Shows, Cartoons, and all of that other stuff. I know you're a Spider-man fan just like me, so we could just make this thread a thread to figure this little thing out.
I honestly prefer the comics to the movies. I don't like the way the Raimi films are written. In the comics Peter was able to talk to women his age unlike the first movie. One of the first things we see him do in the very first comic of him is ask a girl out. She of course says no but he at least had the guts to ask her. Compare that to the movie where he can't even talk to MJ and even when MJ actually talks to him at school he just smiles awkwardly.

I'm in the minority but I actually prefer the ASM films to Raimi's. I liked the first Raimi film but never cared that much for the second one. The Spider-Man no more story went on for too long and I didn't care for the plot of him losing his powers. I also just don't get how people say MJ and Peter's relationship in the Raimi films were really great. In the second film MJ basically ends up hating Peter for not going to her play. She won't listen to anything he has to say about why he wasn't able to make it to her play. Then there's the plot of MJ dating/deciding to marry John Jameson which is kind of a wasted character in the movie as he is only in a few scenes with MJ.

In the comics, one of the first heroic thing Spider-Man did was save John Jameson's life when his space ship went out of control. Later on he and his father would argue about Spider-Man's motives. This was never shown in the movies. I also didn't care for how Doc Ock was done. The special effects with him were great but I didn't care for the sympathetic way he was written. In the comics he was pretty unsympathetic and you never felt sorry for him. Then there's the whole AI in his tentacles which basically are controlling him so he himself isn't even responsible for his actions. They control him the whole movie until the end when Peter convinces him to convince the AI in his arms to destroy the giant sun thing he was working on along with himself.

Anyway, at least with ASM Peter acts a bit more like the actual cocky and snarky one from the comics. As for Batman since I've not read hardly any comics on him I really am not that knowledgable. To be honest 90% of my knowledge of Batman comes from the 90s cartoons and the movies.
By gold333
I never got Batman. Isn't he supposed to be just a really highly trained human with no superpowers?

Spiderman is supposed to be a mutant human with superpowers. (I remember reading somewhere he could benchpress 10,000kg. Thats the weight of 10 cars combined.)

Let alone Superman who is said to be many factors stronger than Spider-man.

Anyhow if that is all "true", I don't care how trained you are, a clean, hard punch to the head from a creature like that is going to decapitate you at around the C2 vertebra.

A suit's not going to protect him, he can move his head in the suit using his own human neck muscles, even if the suit were made from a hypothetical indestructable material (which it isn't; it's just kevlar) he would have basal skull fractures and fatal diffuse axonal injury. His brain would become mush.

Batman is only "Batman" because of public opinion garnered throughout the last decades. He wouldn't last a minute fighting mutant anthropomorphic creatures like that.
By Rinji79
Winston1986 wrote:
Rinji79 wrote:Spider-Man has a strong case lately. Spider-verse is probably the greatest storyline they could have cashed in on with its own comicbook series (I.E. Web Warriors). It's ten times better than Batman Corps. I honestly didn't want a million Batmen from every country just to see them all get killed off or never seen again. Spider Gwen is definitely a front runner for the greatest Spider-man doppelganger.

I honestly prefer the comics to the movies. I don't like the way the Raimi films are written. In the comics Peter was able to talk to women his age unlike the first movie. One of the first things we see him do in the very first comic of him is ask a girl out. She of course says no but he at least had the guts to ask her. Compare that to the movie where he can't even talk to MJ and even when MJ actually talks to him at school he just smiles awkwardly.

I'm in the minority but I actually prefer the ASM films to Raimi's. I liked the first Raimi film but never cared that much for the second one. The Spider-Man no more story went on for too long and I didn't care for the plot of him losing his powers. I also just don't get how people say MJ and Peter's relationship in the Raimi films were really great. In the second film MJ basically ends up hating Peter for not going to her play. She won't listen to anything he has to say about why he wasn't able to make it to her play. Then there's the plot of MJ dating/deciding to marry John Jameson which is kind of a wasted character in the movie as he is only in a few scenes with MJ.

In the comics, one of the first heroic thing Spider-Man did was save John Jameson's life when his space ship went out of control. Later on he and his father would argue about Spider-Man's motives. This was never shown in the movies. I also didn't care for how Doc Ock was done. The special effects with him were great but I didn't care for the sympathetic way he was written. In the comics he was pretty unsympathetic and you never felt sorry for him. Then there's the whole AI in his tentacles which basically are controlling him so he himself isn't even responsible for his actions. They control him the whole movie until the end when Peter convinces him to convince the AI in his arms to destroy the giant sun thing he was working on along with himself.

Anyway, at least with ASM Peter acts a bit more like the actual cocky and snarky one from the comics. As for Batman since I've not read hardly any comics on him I really am not that knowledgable. To be honest 90% of my knowledge of Batman comes from the 90s cartoons and the movies.
The reason I wasn't crazy about Spider-man 2 was more because of Peter's ordinary life story arc. The entire movie is built around him being fired from jobs, failing in classes, being broke, and just pretty much getting crapped on the entire time. After a while that stuff gets tiresome. I get that his life is hell, and being Spider-man is stressful.

ASM actually did a better job at dividing Spider-man with Peter Parker, but what the ASM did REALLY well was Spider-man himself. He had the snarky attitude that defines Spider-man in the comics and made him very funny. I think the real problem with ASM 1 and 2 was that their villains were very bland, and unmemorable, and hinder the story more than they help it (especially Rhino, get a GIGANTICLY talented actor to play him and do nothing with him). So they both have their flaws, but I'll have to stick with Spider-man, the first Raimi film as the all-time best one.

Still, as far as movies go, Batman has Spider-man beat, hands down. Batman '89, Batman Begins, and Dark Knight all comes together to beat the absolute hell out of anything Spider-man has produced in the ways of film.

As far as comics, they're pretty much dead even. Batman has the Joker, and Spider-man has Venom. Both of those villains are the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned. They have their own gigantic story arcs. Both of them have died in the comics, and both of them have overcome ridiculous odds and come out on top.

Animated TV shows, Batman pretty much wins as far as I'm concerned. Spider-man's 90's TV show was good but it was flawed a great deal as well. Batman's Animated Series was one of the greatest cartoon shows ever, and it is still hailed today as one of their greatest achievements in putting the caped crusader on the small screen. There are, however, a LOT of TV shows from both Bats and Spidey. They are both slapped across the screen more than I can explain in just one post, so really, there's actually a lot to talk about on that front.

And Gold, this is not about who would win in a fight. It's already been pretty well defined by Death Battle as to who would win. Spider-man would win in a fight if Batman had no prior information on him, and they didn't know each other at all. If Batman was given time to prepare, he would win against Spider-man.

So, there's still a long way to go before I can even think of deciding who comes out as the greatest Comicbook hero. It will be a long road.
By gold333
Ow I did't read it properly.

Death Battle?

Is that like an online database of which superhero could beat which other? I'd like to read that and find out how a human wins a hand to hand combat fight against another human who can bench press 10 cars.

If I had to choose my favorite I'd pick Spider-man. I keep having these dreams I can shoot painful webs out of my wrists for some reason. But getting them to stick on buildings is neat when I can do it in the dream.

Batman I only liked for Catwoman :)
By Rinji79
A friend of mine brought up a very good point, though I don't know how much I would put in about making my final decision. He pointed out that Spider-man himself is actually pretty interesting as a whole stand-alone character. Batman, however, is more a foil to the actual interesting characters.

Batman is surrounded by some of the greatest villains in comicbooks: Joker, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Scare Crow, Riddler, Two-Face, Catwoman, Bane, Mad Hatter, the list goes on and on.

But when you get right down to it, how interesting is Batman himself? I mean, yes, he looks awesome when he's taking down multiple enemies as they try to attack him, but when he's going against an uninteresting villain, it is one of his lower moments.

When Spider-man is taking down an uninteresting villain, at least we get smartass remarks and awesome catch phrases as he pummels them to unconsciousness. Amazing Spider-man was evidence enough on this.

Batman and Robin was about as close as we can get to Batman being like Spider-man, and that movie was horrible. It clearly shows that Batman is not meant to be a smart mouth hero who will do a one-liner and then smash your face, he's a quiet, contemplating hero who plans his attacks second by second. It's just interesting to note that both of them are very different in personality, and it goes a long way in characterizing them.

I'm not counting Batman out of this yet, it was just something to ponder.
By SSJmole
If you had asked me in 90s Spider-Man.

Now however batman. Some of the best comics ever are batman. Even now batman is tortured and complex. Spider-Man has not been good since new day for me. I've tried I really have and keep trying but everyone around him like Spider-Gwen is so interesting and peter parker is just not peter parker any more.

Meanwhile batman has had his son die , had a happy ending and gave it up. He's tragic he's sad yet he's the strongest most uncorrupting hero in comics and that makes him u treating.

His relationship with Dick who grew up before us , his relationship with joker , batman and by extension the bat family is one of the most interesting characters going while Spider-Man has been pushed aside for MCU reasons and other that its almost sad seeing him now
By Winston1986
SSJmole posted
Spider-Man has not been good since new day for me.
I am about to make spoilers of Spider-Man One More Day and some older comics from the early 90s so anyone who plans to read those for some reason or another shouldn't read any further.
This Post Contains Spoilers
By EgonBuster
Personally, I find both characters to have interesting stories, but Batman appeals to me more personally because of the dark, grimy world he lives in and the interesting cast of macabre villains he faces, as well as his strong, intellectual side.
    Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dolla[…]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last mil[…]

New details https://i.imgur.com/0cWzlPm.jpeg […]

A Victorian Ghostbuster

Since September I put up a new shop building, and […]