Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
By Egon's Pompadour
When I first heard about this reboot, I thought it was going back to its horror film roots, but the latest rumors have Tom Cruise starring (which means it will undoubtedly be an action flick) and possibly Russell Crowe. It's set in modern day and Cruise's character is an ex-Navy Seal. Not sure how I feel about this choice. Although the last couple of movies got worse with each film in the series, I still have fond memories of the first one in 1999, despite its flaws.

Oh...and it should be noted, to satisfy the social justice warriors, the mummy in this one is a female. That's pretty progressive, right? Or is it regressive because she's the villain?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/21/ ... -the-mummy
By Roger Rabbit
I think I'll stick with classic Universal and Hammer mummy movies. Never cared for Sommers' Indiana Jones action-comedy approach and it sounds like we're getting more of the same.
By Egon's Pompadour
Roger Rabbit wrote:I think I'll stick with classic Universal and Hammer mummy movies. Never cared for Sommers' Indiana Jones action-comedy approach and it sounds like we're getting more of the same.
Could be. There aren't too many details out yet. I think I'm more disappointed about it's main star. It means this is going to be another "Tom Cruise flick", first and foremost.
By Egon's Pompadour
DarkSpectre wrote:I thought Cruise was playing the new Van Helsing?
That wouldn't surprise me, either. It sounds like Universal is doing a similar Marvel universe thing where they're bringing back all of their classic monsters in standalone films, but interconnecting them in some way. It also sounds like there may be two different Mummy films coming out, one based on the old-school horror film and the other, this new Tom Cruise adventure flick. It's all confusing to me.
By Egon's Pompadour
According to wikipedia, Tom Cruise is no longer attached to the Van Helsing project. The rumor about two separate Mummy films may have been false as well.
By GBfan77
MareenKing wrote:Damn you hollywood, how many reboots do you need to understand these ideas are bad????
The 99 film was a remake of the Universal Classic, It was definitely not bad.

This is one I wouldn't mind seeing remade again. Tomb of the Dragon Emperor wasn't all that great. It had it's moments but it was weak compared to the first two.
By Winston1986
To be fair the one with Brendan Fraisure is a remake of the old 30s one. But I will admit that is what Hollywood has come to. Heck, later this year they are coming out with a remake of Pete's Dragon. I don't plan to see it.
By Lee FW
My biggest problem with this new shared universe Universal Monsters project is the modern day setting. One of the greatest and alluring aspects of those stories is the gothic horror aspect and when you lose that you lose a lot of their heart. I had high hopes but the more I hear the more I am turned off. Still, I love those stories and I love the classic films so I'm open to being proved wrong.

On another note, Penny Dreadful did absolutely stunningly well on that aspect and managed to tie in a lot of the different classic monsters so even if it fails at least we have a satisfying shared monster universe already. Highly recommend for anyone who hasn't seen it.
By Ivo Shandor
I hate the idea of a Mummy reboot even more than I hated the idea of a Ghostbusters reboot when I first heard of it.

It doesn't help that the Brendan Fraser version of The Mummy is one of my favorite movies.
By Flash6
Oh, old Mummies (two first films, third is not ok) with Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz are my favorite movies for family watch. I remember how I enjoyed watching it with my parents!

Not sure, that the new version would be better. Of course, they will spend money on some cool visual effects, but I think everyone wil still remember the old ones.
By Zharthaddeus
Yes, I agree. The 1999 version is my favorite.
A little creepy, great characters, humor and believable.
Tom Cruise isn't going to stop making movies until he has that Oscar in his sweaty palms.
And finally, here we go again. Messing with the franchise to earn billions.
When will it all end . . .
Sav C liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]