Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
By dartdemon340
I always wanted two things growing up. A proton pack and a light saber. Well I done did a Pack...so here's a light saber. Return of the Jedi version. Few more parts and a paint job and should look pretty decent. Gonna shell it out and stuff some electronics from a store bought saber that makes all the noises when moved around inside and should be pretty nifty.

Image20160829_121606 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr

Image20160830_113510 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr

Image20160830_124247 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
MonaLS, Glenn Frederick, CPU64 and 3 others liked this
By dartdemon340
The Crystal Chamber! In the works anyway. I need longer rods obviously. Got my crystal from a place in CT and need to order my LED's to light that sucker up. Got room for 4 triple A's in the handle so plenty of juice to light it up and some wires run up to the top LED for the blade.

Image20160913_123455 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
Image20160913_140234 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
Image20160913_140224 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
Image20160913_140250 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
Image20160913_170530 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
Better!
MonaLS, Kingpin, HunterCC liked this
By dartdemon340
Considering its do it right the first time or have it all destroy it self in one little whoops motion..its coming along pretty well me thinks. This is how the chamber will look for the most part. Need to cut this quartz in half as its much too long but that's roughly whats its gonna look like. Have to add brass tubes to cover the threaded rod and spruce it up a bit more.

Image20160914_103450 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
MonaLS, Kingpin, Jonobiwan and 1 others liked this
By dartdemon340
Got the support rods in so now the upper half can slide up revealing the chamber. It seats together nicely which is a plus. Some more decorating and that's done and I'll be adding the LED's soon so I can light it up after shoving some batteries up in the handle.

Image20160917_173816 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
Image20160917_173843 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
Image20160917_173902 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
Image20160917_173910 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
Jonobiwan, HunterCC liked this
By dartdemon340
Thank you much. Its actually coming along ALOT better than I expected. This is much easier than a proton pack. I can see why everyone opts for 3d printing or CNC machines as its very time consuming and very little margin for error but sadly manual machining is becoming a lost practice these days. I'd kill to take some machining classes.
MonaLS, Jonobiwan liked this
By venkman30
As I'm not a huge Star Wars fan I will say that's a sweet looking light saber. I've built a proton pack also and am now moving onto my next prop aswell. The chainsaw from evil dead 2. Or ash vs evil dead as I believe they are the same chainsaws. Either way I'm still excited to start the build. But again sweet looking saber. Great job.
By MonaLS
dartdemon340 wrote:... but sadly manual machining is becoming a lost practice these days. I'd kill to take some machining classes.
Me too. My grandfather was a tool and die maker. I'd love to learn what to do what he did. He was also a fantastic wood worker.
By Fritz
The Force is strong with you...

I gotta ask a question, though--is the light supposed to be blue? Luke's Episode 6 saber had a green blade...the blue makes it seem more like Obi-Wan's Episode 3-4 saber, (which clearly influenced Luke's)

And how helpful was your cat in building it? :lol:

All nitpicking and stupid jokes aside--that thing is looking awesome.
By dartdemon340
Well..I look at it this way. This isn't "Lukes" saber persay..its just a light saber that's modeled roughly after his. We choose our own color crystal for our lightsabers. My favorite color happens to be blue which remarkably also happened to be blue LED's laying around. The cat..was sadly most unhelpful. It just likes to be present in all my photos as of late. But thank you thank you, I can't wait till its painted.
HunterCC liked this
By Fritz
dartdemon340 wrote:Well..I look at it this way. This isn't "Lukes" saber persay..its just a light saber that's modeled roughly after his. We choose our own color crystal for our lightsabers. My favorite color happens to be blue which remarkably also happened to be blue LED's laying around.
Thanks--no criticism was meant, I was just a little confused. Honestly, I think Obi-Wan's Ep3-4 saber is probably my favorite, so I completely sympathize. If I ever made one it'd probably be a lot like that--everybody else can have their double sabers or their crossguards or their weird colors--a standard blue single blade is more than enough for me.
The cat..was sadly most unhelpful. It just likes to be present in all my photos as of late.
Yeah, I figured. Mine likes to pull the model paint bottles off my desk when he's hungry--I don't leave the open ones down where he can get them. :lol:
But thank you thank you, I can't wait till its painted.
:)
By dartdemon340
Oh I knew there wasn't a ounce of criticism in your response. I was thinking about those multicolor rgb LED so I can change the color on the fly...food for thought. I just liked the detail and shape of Lukes, ROTJ one and seemed like less complex one to make at any rate. I might just hang this off one of my key fob's on my flight suit at RI comic con this year just for the odd looks.
HunterCC liked this
By CPU64
dartdemon340 wrote:Oh I knew there wasn't a ounce of criticism in your response. I was thinking about those multicolor rgb LED so I can change the color on the fly...food for thought. I just liked the detail and shape of Lukes, ROTJ one and seemed like less complex one to make at any rate. I might just hang this off one of my key fob's on my flight suit at RI comic con this year just for the odd looks.
I made a piece like the trap holder for the belt, with a modified vhook and everything.
Proton saber is now part of my GB gear :D
By Fritz
dartdemon340 wrote:Oh I knew there wasn't a ounce of criticism in your response. I was thinking about those multicolor rgb LED so I can change the color on the fly...food for thought. I just liked the detail and shape of Lukes, ROTJ one and seemed like less complex one to make at any rate. I might just hang this off one of my key fob's on my flight suit at RI comic con this year just for the odd looks.
If anyone asks, just say it's a Neutrona Saber (About halfway down the page)
HunterCC liked this
By dartdemon340
Tis painted and the bottom piece done. That bottom half with those cut outs was a royal pain in the arse. Just need to make the control box and I declare it finished. Until I scrounge up some sound effects for it and a saber blade. Either way its hanging off my belt tomorrow at comic con. Least the crystal chamber lights up in LED goodieness.

Image20161110_202639 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr

Image20161110_202654 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr

Image20161111_174421 by Tom Cahoone, on Flickr
HunterCC liked this
    Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]