Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
It is sad, a lot of interesting conversations will be lost. But probably the professionals who use IMDB, plus Amazon, were growing increasingly embarrassed and frustrated at the trolling going on. I almost predict the next victim will be the ratings system there!
Without a doubt this is 100% due to the massive amounts of trolls that have ruined that place.

It's a damn shame cuz I loved going there to discuss movies and learn bits of trivia from others.

But Jesus, I have almost 400 people on my Ignore List on there. I mean, it's just sad.
JurorNo.2, deadderek liked this
With message boards like that, it's not just the trolls, it's also the people who turn a blind eye to them. It's like if you're living in a rundown area of town and people actually object to you attempting to clean it up, because that somehow means you can't "handle" living in filth. Um, no, we'd just prefer not to live in it at all. Crazy huh?
You know what I take back what I said in my first post. It's NOT sad that the IMDB boards are going away. I'm tired of social media. Now people are spamming IMDB's facebook posts in "protest," all the while complaining that they can't possibly have real movie discussions on Facebook. Their lack of insight is staggering. What is the point of the Internet anymore? It was supposed to provide easier access to information for the people. But all it seems to do is bring out the worst in humanity. I feel like Obi Wan at the end of Revenge of the Sith, "You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them!" Or like that guy in the "Naked Time" episode of Star Trek: "What are we doing out here in space? Good? What good? We're polluting it! We're destroying it!"
Damn shame whats happened to the internet. I remember when IMDB was a good place for movie buffs to discuss movies, but now its just 50% people hating on movies, 45% trolls and 5% people who actually like and want to talk about movies. And boards like this that are made for fans and dedicated to one subject are fast dying off, replaced by Facebook groups which are basically as bad as the IMDB boards.
deadderek liked this
Commander_Jim wrote:Facebook groups which are basically as bad as the IMDB boards.
There is one significant difference. On Facebook if you block someone, then they can no longer see you. And most trolls will move on after that. Whereas if you block someone on IMDB, they can (and do) continue stalking your posts. IMDB could have solved its problem ages ago with a slight modification to its ignore feature. And then you have trolls creating new accounts or have one of their friends continue bothering you. Plus it often took ages for very obviously vulgar posts to be deleted. Then they made it so you couldn't contact anyone at IMDB directly. It really seemed like IMDB was throwing non-trolls to the wolves.
Yep. I had my account that was 13 years old deleted because a troll made a ton of sockpuppets and mass reported every post I made. I tried contacting IMDB admin about it, but of course never got a reply. The system was made to reward trolls and good users were at their mercy. Oh well, theyre officially gone now.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Commander_Jim wrote:Oh well, theyre officially gone now.
Although users are still spamming the Facebook comments. Whining about the lost boards rather than discussing movies. It's going to be a long time before IMDB can be taken seriously as a place for film analysis.
Sav C wrote:but I like forums a bit better. Much easier to talk on forums.
Same here. The UKGB have a forum, but most of the users gravitated to the Facebook group, feeling it was better. I can see the appeal from the point of getting notifications, but I think traditional forums are easier to navigate and find information on than Facebook group pages.
Sav C liked this
I was wondering what happened. Most of the movies I've looked up had decent conversations with hardly any deleted comments or trolling. Oh well, I'll take this loss as payment to taste Zima this year!
This really doesn't surprise me. I even commented to some of my friends a few weeks ago about how the message board for Hidden Figures (which at the time had not come out yet) was the greatest proof that racism is alive and well in the modern world. The most horrible, blatantly racist posts you ever saw in your life. The only consolation is that we can assume a grand majority of them were from trolls that don't actually care; they just want to get a reaction... and mission accomplished.

Still, a small part of me will miss those forums. I remember wasting my youth arguing how Alien 3 was complete crap and couldn't possibly have happened so therefore should be known as fanon discontinuity... well before such a concept ever existed.

To quote the Simpsons "Wow.... where do you think all the rats are going to go?"
    Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]