Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 51076.html

The cast and crew of the new Ranger movie want Tommy to be a girl. A few predictions will probably come true of this.

They either get support on this decision, or they wont. I admit it's a tad strange to introduce the Green Ranger as Tommy Oliver then say "Hey that's a girls name, it's short for something else."

Jason David Frank has a large following on Facebook, and at cons. Middle age fans live, breath and if they could,consume any green ranger products they can get their grubby little hands on. Plus the large majority of his fans from the 90's who have kids introduce them to the Power Rangers franchise by watching it with their kids on Netflix. The Green Ranger is still very popular.

Jason David Frank recently reprised his roles as the green ranger in Bat in the Sun, Megaforce, and Dinothunder.

I could see this working out one or two ways:

JDF's daughter is selected to play the Green Ranger.
Fans will be on board and in support a hundred percent if they know it's his daughter reprising her father's role. I don't know much about her however I would suspect that she'd be into Martial Arts since JDF owns his own martial arts franchise. You don't need to spend months training the actor for the role. Another plus.

There is another option besides giving the role to his daughter.

Add a seventh ranger.
This would be a good opportunity to move away from the biological look of the new ranger out fits and switch to spandex/leather. Introduce the alien rangers of aquatar. In the original series Billy ends up hooking up with one of the alien rangers and this would be a good opportunity to balance out the team, as well as bringing in new actors.

I would suspect with him being active on Facebook JDF will address the subject in the not so distant future. I would also predict that he would probably help launch a petition campaign to get the role to his daughter. The decision to use her as the new green ranger would come with a large fan following. There will still be controversy about it but not on the grand scale that 2016 received.
timeware wrote:Fans will be on board and in support a hundred percent if they know it's his daughter reprising her father's role.
Except this fan. ;) Idk, maybe it's because I was raised on Star Trek, where pretty much everyone was single and career minded, but I don't know why suddenly all my heroes have to become parents. Some characters are suited to the job, some aren't. And doesn't that imply you can't be something cool like a ranger unless you have the right parents? What is this, Ivy League? The only reason seems to be because some fans are fixated on fictional timelines and can't possibly enjoy a movie unless it's a franchise now.

Plus I'm suspecting fans are only cool with new female rangers as long as there's still some male rangers. It's a regular franchise rule now: All male is fine, mixed is fine, all female is "problematic."
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on March 28th, 2017, 1:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Full disclosure, I'm not a Power Rangers fan and have absolutely no investment in the franchise at all. With that said, I'm not a huge fan of changing characters. I'm not against it or anything, but it does seem kind of odd. I liked the reboot because all of the characters were original. That allowed them to be great in their own right.

I mean by no means am I against it, it's too trivial to get worked up over, but when they change characters like this it does seem like they're pushing an agenda. A character is a character, changing them like that just seems odd to me.

And I'm not even talking changing race or gender here, I find it strange whenever they change the actor that plays a character. Sometime I prefer the actor they chose over the original actor, like on Seinfeld they changed both Jerry and George's dad, and I preferred the later people who played them. It's strange for me to watch the first episode with Jerry or George's father in it. I like my characters to stay unchanged for the most part.

Anyways I hope they don't face any of the scrutiny the reboot did.
JurorNo.2 liked this
So much has already been changed in this new movieverse compared to the American series from the 1990s, where's the harm? It's not a surprising development that's being considered, and a positive development from that would be that the cast gets balanced out a bit more.

I feel however that the actress (if they go with an actress rather than an actor) should get the role based on their merit and skill, rather than simply being Jason David Frank's daughter, it shouldn't have to be a blood relation of the original American Green Ranger, or a popularity contest, to ensure the actor/actress is accepted by the fans.
Sav C, JurorNo.2, Lee FW liked this
This Post Contains Spoilers
timeware wrote:
Alternate theory:
I don't see it happening as in trailer Kim kissed Jason and people were worried it was for a forced love triangle. In the main movie it's cut. The only reason they had for cutting it was Kim/Tommy and since it's Trini that's lesbian it seems Tommy would be male.
SSJmole wrote:The only reason they had for cutting it was Kim/Tommy and since it's Trini that's lesbian it seems Tommy would be male.
The kiss being cut isn't watertight proof that something's going to happen between Kimberly and whoever ends up playing the Green Ranger.
Kingpin wrote:
SSJmole wrote:The only reason they had for cutting it was Kim/Tommy and since it's Trini that's lesbian it seems Tommy would be male.
The kiss being cut isn't watertight proof that something's going to happen between Kimberly and whoever ends up playing the Green Ranger.

It's not but i feel its strong as it was cut after loads of backlash about Tommy/Kim been the true couple and not to force Jason into it.

Tommy / Kim was an important part of show and they want to be realistic a teen romance adds so much more and if it's not Tommy/Kim then i feel lots will not accept it. Plus it's Tommy arguably the most popular ranger ever. You don't change that. Either do all new original characters then i don't care what sex or couples they are. Or do them right.

Though i admit the new movie did so much i hate. I hated zords , suits , zordon , alpha , Rita , goldar and putties lol
I would prefer Tommy being kept the same. This is of course Hollywood, so we should probably be not surprised with whatever happens. New movie might mean new powers, new zords. The dragonzord battle could totally annihilate the rangers zords setting up the ninja saga.

Miner spoil with the mention of the zeo crystal. With that being what Rita was after in the first film I would highly doubt the rangers would move into the zeo saga although I could see them moving the zeo crystal into the command center so they could protect it.

If they include Tommy people are going to expect the dragon zord. Fans will revolt if they have Rita give him a Lord Zedd zord, or if the Dragon Zord isn't as large as the fully combined Megazord. I would be actually surprised if they decide to give it a robot mode.

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]