By madmantrez
I recently purchased a couple of PVS5A frames. I think I have almost everything I need for the conversion, but I do have a several questions. I was hoping to get some ideas with them.

What's the best, least destructive way of removing the top snap so I can install the metal d-ring?

What are the most accurate rivets to use on the head strap, tying it to the d-ring?

What should I use to create a battery cap harness? Or does someone know of a source where I can buy real ones?

When connecting the head strap to the ladder buckle, does the top just loop around the side straps, or do the side straps go into ladder buckle as well?

If I wanted to make GB2 ecto goggles, are the lenses the same dimensions as GB1 lenses?

The extra items added to the GB2 goggles (the center "gear", and the treading on the left lense), does somebody know their source? Is there something wrapped around the right lense, or is that just glue?

For those looking for thumb screws, McMaster-Carr sells some. I purchased ones where the thread length is 1/2" and the head height is 1/2" X 1/4". It looked about right to me.

Thanks.
By Kingpin
madmantrez wrote:What's the best, least destructive way of removing the top snap so I can install the metal d-ring?
Destructive to the frame, or destructive to the snap?

If you don't mind destroying the snap, a drill would be the best answer. Then, you can attach the top portion of the snap using a rivet or a bolt/nut combo.
What are the most accurate rivets to use on the head strap, tying it to the d-ring?
It hasn't really come up as far as I recall... I'm sorry to say I won't be of much help, beyond suggesting looking at what the rivets look like when they're applied.
What should I use to create a battery cap harness? Or does someone know of a source where I can buy real ones?
The harness isn't always neccesary, as in some scenes it's missing... but a lightweight length of rubber would probably do... I think it was brown in colour, but don't take me word on that.
When connecting the head strap to the ladder buckle, does the top just loop around the side straps, or do the side straps go into ladder buckle as well?
It's only the middle strap that goes through the ladder buckle, as far as I'm aware.
If I wanted to make GB2 ecto goggles, are the lenses the same dimensions as GB1 lenses?
I believe the Ghostbusters II lenses are smaller than the ones seen in Ghostbusters, but we've never had the chance to determine outright the size of them. If I had to recommend one design of Goggles over another, I'd recommend the design used in the first movie.
The extra items added to the GB2 goggles (the center "gear", and the treading on the left lense), does somebody know their source?
They've never been identified.
By madmantrez
Thanks Kingpin.

Destrucive to the frame. I've read about using a drill before, but I was unsure if it would do damage to the frames. When drilling out a snap, does the size of the bit matter, in relation to the size of snap?

The rivets look to be 1/4 in size to me.

I was thinking of using rubber tubing and cutting the shape (I was unsure which tubing to go with), but even a rubberband looked kind of right for a harness. I know it wasn't in all scenes, but I like the extra bit of color. I've decided to go with some amber latex rubber tubing, as the harness looks like a dirty yellow to me.
By Kingpin
In regards to the size of the drill piece, probably a piece similar in size to the central "post" of the snap would do. It would be similar to drilling out a rivet, mangling the metal enough that the section of the lower piece of the snap that has been hammered is freed from the upper piece. That being said, I haven't tried the process personally so I can't speak for the end result, only my similar experience with dealing with incorrectly fitted rivets.
By Cyland Props
Vincenzo330 wrote:I wouldn't use a drill to remove that snap, try a bullet-shaped dremel sanding bit. If the drill snags it's going to shatter your frames.

Go at a slow speed and be mindful of how hot the rivet gets or you'll melt/warp the plastic frames.
Using a drill will not shatter the frames they are made from some form of kydex. . I just left mine there and hooked the center strap to it. If you intend to wear them I recomend using elastic for the straps to help keep them on.
By madmantrez
Thanks for all the advice. I own a dremel, so I'll check that out.

Thanks Cyland. I all ready have some black elastic webbing, I just need to put in the snaps and rivets.

Has it been decided how the d-ring is fixed on the frames? Is the proper way with a bolt, or is it riveted on?
madmantrez wrote:Thanks for all the advice. I own a dremel, so I'll check that out.

Thanks Cyland. I all ready have some black elastic webbing, I just need to put in the snaps and rivets.

Has it been decided how the d-ring is fixed on the frames? Is the proper way with a bolt, or is it riveted on?

From the screen caps it looks like a socket head bolt like the ones used on the Proton Packs from the first movie. I'm thinking it's probably one of those d-rings on a flat strap things used on the Star Wars Lightsabers.
By madmantrez
The dremel bit worked fine in loosening up the snap. Then I pulled it off with a pair of pliers. No damage was done to the frames, and the hole of the frame's lines up with the d-ring's strap.
By madmantrez
The frames I own have the on/off and battery label underneath some tack like substance (as opposed to a black sticker). I tried goo gone to dissolve them, but it didn't work. Does somebody have a recommendation?

My side goggle operating instruction stickers aren't foil, but black and white, with a clear protective layer on top of it. Like the different on/off labeling, did the goggles comes with different side labels as well? Is foil the accurate version of the sticker?

Thanks.
By ScooterinAB
madmantrez wrote:The frames I own have the on/off and battery label underneath some tack like substance (as opposed to a black sticker). I tried goo gone to dissolve them, but it didn't work. Does somebody have a recommendation?
Depending how tough it is, you can try covering it in peanut butter (probably not the chunky kind). My dad works in a kitchen, and used peanut butter all the time, as it is non-abrasive and doesn't really affect hard materials.
By Cyland Props
madmantrez wrote:The frames I own have the on/off and battery label underneath some tack like substance (as opposed to a black sticker). I tried goo gone to dissolve them, but it didn't work. Does somebody have a recommendation?

My side goggle operating instruction stickers aren't foil, but black and white, with a clear protective layer on top of it. Like the different on/off labeling, did the goggles comes with different side labels as well? Is foil the accurate version of the sticker?

Thanks.
You talking about the clear labels on the batt. and On/Off areas? Because the first movie's goggle frames had those, the second movies were just painted over.

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]