By crydrk
I modeled some ecto goggles out for myself to print on my makerbot and figured since I have them I might as well post them here if anyone wants. They are based off eyeballing Paranorman's reference but are not screen accurate.

I am currently printing them - will report back with progress.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:616432

Tyrael liked this
By Tyrael
Thanks for sharing! Hoping to pick up a 3D printer this year and I'd love to try these out.
By crydrk
No problem! And I suggest getting a printer. I have the Makerbot Replicator 2. It's never perfect, and takes work to remove the lines but opens up so many doors.

[EDIT] Well I have discovered that I can't edit the main post - was hoping to put these pics up at the top. Maybe a mod can move these to my first post?

Printing - On both the back of the front panel and the back of the main body the raft bent up. Didn't stick quite right to the build plate. If anyone else has this problem I suggest taping down the corners after printing the raft.

Filling in the gaps created by the bending with plastic weld. I also experimented with smooth-on's xtc smoother. I tinted it brown to see what it was doing. I worked alright but not as I hoped. Lots of sanding, filler primer, etc.

Where I currently am. Going to look at the surplus store for the straps today because of impatience but if I can't find them I'm just going to order them.
Dougger, Kingpin liked this
By SentientPie
I made the straps myself by heading to my local Ace Hardware and buying 6 feet of nylon straps, a snap kit with punches included, and three buckles that fit properly. I looped everything through the proper ways and fitted it to my head carefully (it fits best not over my eyes) then punched the snaps into it. I finished all of the strapping by heating up the ends with a lighter, allowing it to melt a bit, then squeezing the pieces together. This eliminated needing to stitch anything.
By SentientPie
I can take a more detailed photo of the straps later. I also blued the snaps with bluing compound for guns that I had on hand to make them look more aged.
By Full-Roaming-Vapor
SentientPie wrote:I made the straps myself by heading to my local Ace Hardware and buying 6 feet of nylon straps, a snap kit with punches included, and three buckles that fit properly. I looped everything through the proper ways and fitted it to my head carefully (it fits best not over my eyes) then punched the snaps into it. I finished all of the strapping by heating up the ends with a lighter, allowing it to melt a bit, then squeezing the pieces together. This eliminated needing to stitch anything.
Great work. Do the metal snaps fit into the snaps that were part of the 3D model, or did you install metal snaps onto the plastic?
By SentientPie
I actually JB welded the snaps directly onto the goggles prior to painting. Since the plastic is too thick I couldn't attach it in the traditional way. They were painted over and I removed the extra paint with a razor blade before using the snaps. Just make sure the JB weld fully cures first.
By SentientPie

This is how the straps look when spread out. Ruler for scale. This is measured to my head for a snug fit with some room for adjustment with the slack that can be gained from the buckles.
By crydrk
Pie, those look great! Very well done. You should post the picture in the 'I made one' section on thingiverse. Someone else posted theirs awhile back and both of yours look far better than mine! :p

I haven't posted since finishing mine so I should dig up a picture. But the thing I discovered after getting mine strapped on my head is they are terribly uncomfortable... Sorry!
By SentientPie
I actually laser cut some clear acrylic to the exact size of each lens hole after measuring them with a digital caliper. I was able to press fit the lenses in after cutting it close enough.
By danielblake
I have printed a pair of these goggles myself using the XYZPrinting Da Vinci 1.0. The main body took 8 hours to print. The faceplate took about 3 hours, and the lenses and small details took another 3 hours. I am currently in the priming and sanding phase.

Update: Finished the goggles on 7/07/2015, posted pics below.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]