These are available in-stock at Home Depot. Say I was attempting to go for both affordability and a unique look that wasn't quite screen accurate - since I want my costume to be mine, not a carbon copy - how well would those work?

I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to modify them to add a three-way strap over the head.
Last edited by Kingpin on February 23rd, 2015, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added inage to post
OK, so I think I've compiled my parts list, almost all of which are found in-stock at HD. Feel free to suggest anything you feel may work better. This is based off of Norm's plans.
For paint, I'll be using Army Green Camouflage Spray Paint and Protective Enamel Satin Flat Black Spray Paint if they can be applied over a coat of the paint crusader_x suggested. If not, I'll consider other options. I don't know if spray paint will adhere well to the screw connectors. If it does, then I will use Metallic Silver Spray Paint because at least from what the pictures look like, they are somewhat dull and could be shinier.

For the knobs on the sides of the goggles, I'm working on tracking down a set of guitar amp knobs. Those should work perfectly. I'll also need an extra piece of web belt for the top part of the head strap.

Lastly, I'll need something to put on the outside to bond the wood blocks to the goggles. Loctite's epoxy putty should be just fine.

Did I miss anything? Is there anything that would work better for a budget build than what I've found?
The paint may set correctly with the Camo paint , and I've used Rustoleum's Camo before and it has no sealer in it and is designed to have little-to-no reflectivity. It almost feels like dried powder. What is significant is that there is no sealer/finish in that paint.

You'll still end up with the sticky paint using any Enamel paints and any other spray with a sealer in it (satin or gloss paints, and I'd even stay away from matte) on top of the Duplicolor Spray. The Duplicolor paint works because it's essentially a tinted vinyl spray (vs acrylic or enamel). Applying spray paints on top of that is going to have the same problem as applying paint over the base.

Another option, but not recommended, is to use brush on acrylics or latex paints on top of the Duplicolor.

For the wood blocks, I wouldn't recommend only using Epoxy. The non-porous vinyl of the goggle frame makes it very difficult to bond anything to it. I'd recommend the epoxy as well as screws.
And here they are immediately after applying the first coat of paint. Letting them dry outside has definitely helped, as the paint is drying absurdly fast. It seems to be adhering just fine. Obviously I need to apply a second coat, though, to smooth things out. Otherwise, everything is proceeding normally.
Did you use any primer on them? You should be able to find a primer at HD for plastics. It will help the pain stick better. Also, next time do light coats. I can see in your pic that the paint was sprayed way to heavy. Its all a learning curve. Better to learn now than later ;-)
I did almost the same thing. Vinyl goggles and Rustoleum paint. A week after painting, they were still tacky.

A search found that you can cover that tacky paint with Testors matte finish laquer. I did 2 light coats of that and I can touch the goggles without fear of fingerprints. It is not durable by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't feel like it's going to become permanently attached to your hair.
You're going to have a hard time finding the right combination of aerosol paint(s) and sealer(s) that are going to bond to those vinyl goggles. That's why I recommended the Duplicolor spray vinyl paint. Yes it is basically like spraying on a tinted layer of vinyl which is why it bonds so well to those vinyl goggles. Also vinyl decals adhere extremely well to it as opposed to regular sticker labels. The only restriction really is the colors: they are fairly limited. Brushing on acrylics does work really well for weathering, so you may try brushing on the color you want, in this case you'd want to try find an Olive Drab or something close. I'd put down a layer of the Duplicolor vinyl paint first, in black or maybe their dark gray as a primer, then brush on light layers of the acrylic and see if you can't build up layers to the color you want. But you're just wasting your time trying to get Rustoleum to bond to vinyl.
I should have added that what I used to weather the vinyl goggles I do, after putting down a layer of the Duplicolor in black or gray, is either Tamiya Acrylics and/or the bottles of acrylic you can find at Wal-Mart and Michaels that are very inexpensive with brands like Apple Barrel. Michaels has lots of different brands, some more expensive that others (like Martha Stewart), so they have a large array of colors. Since I use them for weathering I'm drybrushing them on, which is probably why the acrylic works on the vinyl. I would start just like that, using minimal paint almost like drybrushing, and build up the layers that way once the initial layer is dried to the vinyl.
Alright, so I've finally gotten a good moment set aside to start working on the second attempt at the goggles.

I sanded them down and now I've applied the base coat of the Dupli-Color gray. Fortunately, the weather is hot and dry right now so drying should be a bit faster.

On an unrelated note, as you can see, I've removed the actual flip-up part of the goggles. I know those aren't the same material as the body of the goggles but should I use the same painting technique (Dupli-Color + acrylic) or would spray paint work on that part?
TheKevinShow wrote: On an unrelated note, as you can see, I've removed the actual flip-up part of the goggles. I know those aren't the same material as the body of the goggles but should I use the same painting technique (Dupli-Color + acrylic) or would spray paint work on that part?
In my experience, the flip up part is made of a plastic that will tolerate regular spray paint just fine, but I have also hit it with the Duplicolor vinyl paint and it worked too. I would recommend what you did: remove them. Then sand and prep them and use a plastic friendly spray paint like Krylon.
TheKevinShow wrote:I'm downright impressed by how fast the Duplicolor dries. Of course, that could also be due to the Santa Ana weather.

For the body of the goggles, I'm using Behr Premium Plus Ultra Deep Base Flat. Would that also work for the lens if I use the Duplicolor?
Not sure how well the vinyl spray paint would work on PVC. But you can use Krylon or Rustoleum on it, just be sure to sand it first. I wet sand my plastics/PVC with 320 or 400 grit sandpaper until it gets rid of the smooth surface and feels like it has texture so it will hold paint better. Krylon for plastic works very well on PVC. I'm assuming your lenses are made of PVC though... what are they made of?

This looks like a beautiful book, I would love to […]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when I&[…]

I just couldn't help myself and had to add texture[…]

@GBfan77 No when I turn it off it still keeps firi[…]