Hey guys! So I tried my hand at making a pair of Ecto Goggles out of a pair of Soft-Framed Welding Goggles. Going into it, I used the "Budget-Friendly" list that is floating around here. Anyways, Building these were fun. Here are my build photos with notes.

So here's the start... In this picture, I've already removed the welding glass housing by sliding it out and I modified the track by cutting a portion of it out. I did this to give it a look similar to the originals. Also, most of the parts are there.

In this picture, I have the plastic pieces cut to fit inside the goggle frames. Both inside and out. I also placed the bases of the lenses on the plastic where I wanted them and then marked them with paint.

Here is the piecing together of all the lens pieces. Did this as a visual cue to make sure I've got the look I want and that it will actually work. I found a neat little piece that I have no idea what it was to or for in the garbage that fit nicely at the tip of the longer lens.

I wanted to make the lenses so that they would actually go through the faceplate in order to up the integrity of the strength of the lenses to stay on the goggles. This is the backside looking through the goggles. By the way, hole saw did it's job and worked. Dremel helped make it work.

This is what it looks like looking at the front of the goggles with the through pieces.

I dremeled back some flashlight lenses to make lenses to fit. I know they aren't perfect circles, but the epoxy will make it happy.

So this photo... I cut up small pieces of that play floor foam. The width was good and I cut it to size. I adhered it with ALEX caulk and finger-formed it along the sides to get the look on the original. Also, I used a straight edge, the top of a butter knife, to get a smoother bottom along the sides. I chose to use this stuff because I wanted to keep flexibility in mind. If I used something rigid, I was afraid that it would want to not stay adhered well and keep coming detatched. Also, the plastic was epoxied into place on the frame, front and back. Also, I used epoxy to fill in the gaps on the sides of the glass frame.

Another view of the last photo. Also, you can see the hole that I burned through the top of the rubber frame to prepare for a snap for the harness.

Time to paint the frame.

First coat on the lenses. I know they aren't movie accurate in scheme, but I liked the way it looked.

Painting the frames...

Did inside and out to help the paint with integrity. This Plastidip stuff likes to peel, so I coated the entire frame to prevent that.

Testing placement of the lens housings. The two labels on the housings are attached here. Also, the one lens is epoxied in the longer housing.

Labels were attached and then gone over with clear Plastidip paint. I know the placement on this one is off from where it is supposed to be, but the label was already shrunk in size and was placed higher up because it fit there. The faceplate bolts are attached here and the snaps are now hammered into place. Side note, I needed to get snap studs with a longer post to make up for the rubber's thickness. Found them at Home Depot.

Harness is on. I used one of those LED Headlight harnesses and slipped them in a D ring. I thin used Nylon strap to make the button part of the snap. Also, the vents are getting put back in the holes of the frames where they came from. I utilized these for certain features like the knobs, switches and fun stuff. For the knobs, I used these "Thumb screw" caps that fit on top of a 1/4" Socket Head Cap Screw. I threw a nylon thread locking nut on the other side. Since these went through the holes in the vents, I'm able to turn the knobs.

In this photo, the Lens for the short housing is epoxied in place. Also, the wiring for the LEDs is sorted out. The LEDs were epoxied in after drilling a hole in the through pieces of the lens housing on the inside of the frame. After that, the through pieces were shoved through the holes and the lens housings were epoxied onto the through pieces. Also, the bolts that go through the side pieces were put in place and tightened up. The red push button switch it up there merely for decoration. My dog decide to shred one of the plastic vents, so that was a fitting back up. Plus, the red really stands out on the drab green paint.

Here is what they look like finished and with the LEDs turned on.

Image Here is a top-down view of the finished product.

Here is a side(ish) view.

The other side view.

I hope you guys enjoyed my build. Any questions feel free to ask. Any other photo angle requests, let me know. Also, LET ME KNOW WHAT YoU THINK! :)
Glenn Frederick liked this

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]