By Naptime
Ok, so last year was my first dressing up as a Ghostbuster and I built a few props to go with my uniform. I started with the ecto goggles and came up with these:
Not bad for a first go at it, but they were far from screen accurate. After building my proton pack using foam core and gaining a lot of experience and confidence from the process, I thought I'd give the goggles another try.
Inspired partly by DarkSpectre's excellent foam goggles and Coz_UK's dimensions, I came up with these:
Last edited by Kingpin on October 17th, 2015, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed forum stretching
By Naptime
Thanks, Jay! Just putting the finishing touches on my foam core trap!
By Naptime
Here are some pics of the process: the frames were made of foam core.
Last edited by Kingpin on October 17th, 2015, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed forum stretching
alphabeta001 liked this
By Naptime
Dry fitting the "lenses frames" - electrical tubing connectors:
Last edited by Kingpin on October 17th, 2015, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed forum stretching
By Naptime
Then came the filling of the gaps & rounding of the edges. I use drywall compound to do this. It goes on easy, dries quickly & sands smoothly. The only issue I have with it is that it's prone to cracking very easily but I've come up with a method to dealing with that.
After sanding:
Last edited by Kingpin on October 17th, 2015, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed forum stretching
alphabeta001 liked this
By Naptime
Once they've been sanded I put a couple of coats of primer on them to help stop the compound from cracking:
Then I use apoxie sculp to reinforce the areas that are prone to cracking:
Then more sanding.
Last edited by Kingpin on October 17th, 2015, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed forum stretching
By Naptime
Then I hit them again with another coat of primer & then the first coat of green cammo.
By Naptime
After a couple of coats of green, I sprayed a layer of clear coat over them but didn't like the glossiness they gave the goggles. Image
By Naptime
I ended up putting another coat of the cammo green on the frames after I tried sanding the clear coat down. As you can see from the next picture, I added on the lense adjusters/extenders. The side knobs were painted pop bottle tops & the "battery cover" is the lid from a Gatorade bottle with a socket head screw through the middle & the cap holder is made from black squishy foam.
alphabeta001 liked this
By Naptime
joeghostbuster wrote:AWESOME
Many Thanks!
Grimmy GB wrote:Nap...those skills bro...
Dude. Your builds are epic! I'm just trying to keep up! Thanks, brother. It means a lot from you.
Farah wrote:excellent job on the goggles. Keep up the great work.
Will do! Time permitting, I'm going to post my trap build soon.
robandliv wrote:Wow, great job. I just started using drywall compound too. I like the idea you have for the cracking. I would like to see your pack. I am going to see about using some of your ideas to build a new set of goggles,
I like using the compound because I can smear it with my fingers to get great coverage and I can take my time with it. I've got a can of bondo that I'm still hesitant to use, though it would let me skip the apoxie sculp reinforcement step. One day, I'll try the bondo. Here's a link to my pack build:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=38387
Grimmy GB liked this
By Naptime
spark wrote:I can't believe you did that with foam core! Those turned out great!
bustermedic wrote:Color me impressed... I can't believe that's foamcore... Incredible!
Thanks guys! I'm loving, LOVING working with foam core and throwing a bit of polystyrene in as well. Next up is a scratch built PKE meter.
By Rowan J. Zweig
Those goggles look amazing!

Noob question, where can I get foam core and what is the difference between that and regular foam? I suspect it's more rigid, but I wasn't sure if there is more to it than that. Would love to see your trap when it's finished :-)
Naptime liked this
By Naptime
Rowan J. Zweig wrote:Those goggles look amazing!

Noob question, where can I get foam core and what is the difference between that and regular foam? I suspect it's more rigid, but I wasn't sure if there is more to it than that. Would love to see your trap when it's finished :-)
Thanks for the compliment! I originally got all my foam core from a local art supply store, but my buddy PssdffJay told me about the Dollar Store selling sheets and sheets of them for cheap - but we live in Canada. You might want to try some local hobby shops or a Michael's craft supply, or even Staples.

To answer your question about the difference between foam core and regular foam, here's a link from wikipedia about foam core: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foamcore

Basically, you're right. It's more rigid because it's foam pressed between sheets of kraft paper.

I'll try to get pics of my foam core trap up soon!
By Naptime
slimer01 wrote:What plans did you use for this?
I used Coz_UK's dimensions that were posted on the forums and was inspired to use foam core by DarkSpectre's goggles. As for the other bits of detail: I used visual references of the goggles from pictures on this site and pictures of the Matty goggles. As I said before, my goggles are far from screen accurate, but far closer than my first attempt.

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London